IGNORED

My Christmas Celebration has already started!

DZ-Jay

Not only have I been playing Christmas Carol on my Intellivision, but my wife made gingerbread cookies and a gingerbread train (it's really cool!), and I made our traditional Puertorrican Christmas drink: Coquito.

Below are some pictures of our pre-celebration stock:

All aboard the Sugary Cookie Express!

post-27318-0-26405800-1354798395_thumb.jpg

Choo-Choo!!!

post-27318-0-61787300-1354798399_thumb.jpg

Coquito:

1 can cocoanut milk,

1 can condensed milk

3 cups cow milk

and 3.5 cups Puertorrican Rum

serve chilled with a dash of cinnamon powder!

post-27318-0-77128900-1354798390_thumb.jpg

Now all I need is friends and family and we have a party! :)

• Like 3

My celebration actually started the week before Thanksgiving ... every year my wife and I volunteer on the Polar Express, a train ride through the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad in Cleveland/Akron for kids (all dressed in their PJ's!). My wife and I dress up as elves, read the story, share hot chocolate and cookies and end up at the "North Pole". On the way back we sing Christmas carols and usually, if the kids are really good, Santa may make an appearance ;) .

It's a really fun event to volunteer for and really helps get you in the spirit of things ... nothing quite like seeing kids faces plastered against the windows trying to get a good look at all of the elves at the North Pole!

Oh, coquito is excellent! We also make ponche, similar to coquit but without the coconut milk.

That train looks fantastic!

I love Coquito! But I only make it during Christmas time, which makes it extra special. :)

I'll post my recipe tonight. I've honed it during the past few years (before I, my Father was the Coquito Meister, but I think mine is better.)

Here's my recipe for Coquito:

DZ's Coquito:

-------------------------------------

1 can (~13 Oz) of Cocoanut Milk

1 can (~14 Oz) of Condensed Milk

3 cups of Premium Puertorrican Rum (Bacardí Gold)

3 cups of Milk (from a cow)

2 sticks of Cinnamon

Mix all ingredients in a large enough container (preferably a 1.5 Litter bottle) by shaking vigorously for a few minutes. Strain a few times to ensure smoothness (in case the cocoanut milk is lumpy--I use either fresh, or pure without preservatives or artificial emulsifiers).

Adjust the rum to taste: For a stronger drink, add a bit more (I do!). For a smoother, thinner drink, dilute with more cow's milk.

Add the cinnamon sticks to the bottle and refrigerate for a couple of hours. Shake before serving.

To serve, pour into small cups and sprinkle with cinnamon powder, and enjoy a Puertorrican Christmas!

Ta-da!

Here's my recipe for Coquito:

DZ's Coquito:

1 can (~13 Oz) of Cocoanut Milk

1 can (~14 Oz) of Condensed Milk

3 cups of Premium Puertorrican Rum (Bacardí Gold)

3 cups of Milk (from a cow)

2 sticks of Cinnamon

Mix all ingredients in a large enough container (preferably a 1.5 Litter bottle) by shaking vigorously for a few minutes. Strain a few times to ensure smoothness (in case the cocoanut milk is lumpy--I use either fresh, or pure without preservatives or artificial emulsifiers).

Adjust the rum to taste: For a stronger drink, add a bit more (I do!). For a smoother, thinner drink, dilute with more cow's milk.

Add the cinnamon sticks to the bottle and refrigerate for a couple of hours. Shake before serving.

To serve, pour into small cups and sprinkle with cinnamon powder, and enjoy a Puertorrican Christmas!

Ta-da!

Hic! :party: :party:

DZ,

My wife and I tried making Coquitos last night based on your recipe, had to say it by we weren't big fans. Have to go back to spiked eggnog.

Sorry to hear that. By the way, the condensed milk is the sugary viscous one, and cocoanut milk should "milk" not "cream," which is sweetened even more.

Was it too sweet? not sweet enough? too cocoanutty? or just plain old bleh?

-dZ.

By the way, here's another drink we do. It's not really traditional, not Puertorrican at least. It's Scandinavian Glogg, which is a type of spiced wine. It's very nice, especially on a cold night. :)

-dZ.

Recipe: A Simple Glogg

Ingredients:
  • Aquavit (or brandy or vodka)
  • Burgundy or pinot noir wine
  • Port wine
  • Raisins
  • White sugar
  • Cinnamon sticks
  • Cloves
  • Cardamom seeds
  • One orange
  • One piece of ginger
  • Blanched almonds

Step 1: Soak 1/2 cup of raisins in one cup of Aquavit (a Norwegian spirit made with potatoes); Brandy or vodka can be used instead. Soak for 30 minutes before Step 2.

Step 2: Put a large pot on the stove, over high heat. Add one cup of water and 1/2 cup sugar to the pot, and stir with a wooden spoon until the sugar is completely dissolved.

Step 3: Lower the heat to medium and add your spices - two sticks of cinnamon (each broken in half); four whole cloves; six whole cardamom seeds, crushed by hand; a thinly shaved orange peel; and one small piece of ginger, peeled and cut in half. Stir again with wooden spoon. Do not allow the mix to come to a boil from this point on.

Step 4: Add the aquavit-raisin mixture, two cups of burgundy or pinot noir wine and two cups of port wine.

Step 5: Sweeten and spice to taste.

Step 6: Strain, garnish with raisins and slices of blanched almond — and serve hot off the stove. Note: The drink can be made a day ahead and kept covered, on the stove, at room temperature.

Just reheat before serving.

Try to use Aquavit, which I understand is more traditional (what do I know! I'm Puertorrican, which may be considered the opposite of Scandinavian! :lol:)

I personally don't care for Aquavit on its own--it has a strange bitter taste--but I must say that it really adds a nice dimension to this drink! :)

I got this recipe from NPR, and it was provided by a Scandinavian family.

-dZ.

Hey guys! We made Gingerbread cookies! And guess who I saw come out of the oven?? :-o

post-27318-0-07592400-1355016807_thumb.jpg

And right in the middle of the competition!! :)

(Yeah, I know, I suck at decorating cookies. But my wife insisted I made this ones.)

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 2

I'll try the coquito.

And rum is my favorite drink but I don't drink often.

By the way, do you know cachaça? It's made from sugar cane too. My second favorite drink.

Luduario, I've had cachaça, gosto demais! Isn't that the liquor that they use for caipirinhas? Around the holidays I drink aguardiante. Yes, it means fire water and it's made of sugar cane with anise. It goes down really smooth and seems not to take any effect and then after the 5th shot or so... you've drank too much. And the hangovers are the worst.

• Like 1

Luduario, I've had cachaça, gosto demais! Isn't that the liquor that they use for caipirinhas? Around the holidays I drink aguardiante. Yes, it means fire water and it's made of sugar cane with anise. It goes down really smooth and seems not to take any effect and then after the 5th shot or so... you've drank too much. And the hangovers are the worst.

Yes, and I think caipirinha is more famous than the main drink cachaça.

Never heard about "aguardiente" with anise, here cachaça is known by many names, one is aguardente but I think there is another drink, somewhat different from rum and cachaça which may be one original caribean aguardiente.

Here is the cachaça I drink most. It's clear not the best but it's cheap and has a funny bottle.

post-32348-0-98036100-1355050832_thumb.jpg