IGNORED

Can't get my 2600 working. Please Help

pedro_jorge

Hi,

I live in Portugal and i recently bought a ntsc heavy sixer.

I don't know what's happening.. the console turns on ok, The harmony cartridge menu shows up but when i start a game the image just gets full of interference or static or whatever that is.

It's strange because my TV worked just fine with ntsc games running through my PAL console (wrong colors of course but perfect image) so i think it's perfectly capable of handling ntsc signals through RF.

I'm using this COAX to RF adapter to connect it to the TV:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fitm%2F310150474767%3FssPageName%3DSTRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT%26_trksid%3Dp3984.m1439.l2649

I'm also using a power supply adapter from a PAL console (9v polarity center +, outer -).

Do you think it's worth a try buying a ntsc power supply adapter and using it with a step-down converter?

Maybe replace it with a new rf cord?

I've read that switching between channels 2 and 3 might help but i also read that the heavy sixers don't have that swith and are locked to channel 3.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Pedro

well being as NTSC runs at 60MHz and PAL runs at 50MHz .. I think that might be your problem....but this is only going on what you have said.. a pic of the screen would speak volumes to the community of which you are requesting help from

Edited by NIKON

I meant on the television...but not to sound too basic.. but is there sound on that channel when you use it for other things...like a cable hook up or another console on the same channel?

If there is sound....try the heavy sixer on another known good television..if still no sound.. a different RF cable?

Hi Nikon,

On the TV it only tunes at channel 3 and i don't have any other console that tunes on that same channel to try it out.

The console works great on my girlfriend's tv, a Philips LCD.

I went to the store today with the console (big hit amongst the sellers). Tried several TV's, Samsung, Sony, LG, etc, one of them with input lag of just 16ms.

On the Sony the sound comes up ok but it lags a bit on the response time. I notice it clearly with the game Fast Food. On my girlfriend Philips the movement on that game is smooth as silk. On my Sony Bravia movement smooth as silk too but no sound. Lol i'm becoming desperate.

Maybe my next step is to try a Plasma, i've heard the input lag on those is really low compared to LCD's. Or as a final resort a big fat CRT!

P.S.: Already tried with 2 RF cables.

Pedro

I am glad to hear that your console is not at fault here..but I was assuming that you were using a CRT for the console....since they were the only TVs available at the time the 2600 was released.

But if it works on your girlfriend's LCD TV I would advise following RickR's suggestion or trade TVs with her. :ponder:

Um, NTSC and PAL are totally different TV standards. Even if your PAL TV is able to accept an NTSC composite signal, as many of them do, it may not be able to handle an NTSC RF signal, as those were originally broadcast on entirely different frequencies and even have a different bandwidth. Analog NTSC channels have 6mhz of bandwidth, while analog PAL channels have 8mhz of bandwidth. I have no idea how audio is encoded in analog PAL broadcasts, but in NTSC, the audio carrier signal is a skinny band on the top edge of the channel bandwidth while the video carrier is a very wide band starting on the lower edge of the channel bandwidth. NTSC channels are spaced 6mhz apart from one another, starting with 54-60Mhz for VHF channel 2, 60-66Mhz for channel 3, and 66-72Mhz for channel 4. Channels 5-6 are 76-82-88Mhz, followed by FM radio (88-108Mhz), then Air Traffic control, then VHF 7-12. Incidentally, the Japanese channel 1 and 2, used by the Famicom, are within the US FM radio band, but can be accessed on CATV channels 95 and 96, I believe.

Either way, PAL RF takes up 8Mhz of bandwidth instead of 6Mhz and formatted differently, so it doesn't surprise me much that the picture/sound is FUBAR'ed on your PAL TV. You are probably lucky to even find a channel on PAL TV that tunes into the signal properly. If you desperately need to use an NTSC Atari in PAL land, you may want to get it A/V modded as a lot of PAL TVs will accept an NTSC composite signal without issue. As an alternative to modding your console, if you can find an old cheap NTSC VCR, you can tune the VCR to NTSC channel 3 and use the A/V output to demodulate the signal. It doesn't matter if the tape deck is busted or not since you're just using it for the tuner.

LOL@RickR and Nikon :)

Thanks for the siggestions stardust4ever,

I've read about the A/V mod but i have no soldering skills and it also worries me a bit modifying an original heavy sixer, I'm worried the original video signal will be modified somehow. I'd like to keep it as faithful to the original as possibel.

I'll try passing it through a DVD VCR my Dad has and I'll let you know.

Pedro