IGNORED

How long will the Wii last?

toptenmaterial

I just got a wii again not too long ago and have been enjoying it yet again (this is number three lol) I will be done with what I missed however shortly so unless some new games come out I could see needing a wii u for my nintendo fix within the next six months

Guess it's time to buy a cheap backup Wii. Has anyone tried replacing a gamecube laser? Will that fix a no disc message or is it a crap shoot?

GC Laser replacement is easy as pie. I've done probably 20 of them so far. and a few mods, I bought the ViperGC as soon as it came out and modded my GC, its been working since then.

• 2 months later...

Wii will last about as long as the PS2 did last generation. The winner of each generation of video games always outlasts the competition.

Atari VCS won during the second generation. Atari 2600 games continued to be produced well into the 3rd generation. Nearly all others went extinct during the crash.

NES was the clear winner of the 3rd generation. NES games / consoles were produced well into the 4th Gen.

SNES lasted a couple years into the 5th gen. Sega screwed themselves by killing the Genesis with add-ons and enhancements.

PS1 won 5th generation and lasted well into the 6th generation.

PS2 won the 6th generation and lasted well into the 7th.

*Wii won the 7th generation by a landslide and will last at least as long as the PS2 did.

GBA games and consoles were sold well into the DS lifespan.

DS games and consoles were and still are sold well into the 3DS lifespan. DSi are still available.

Edited by stardust4ever

With the exception of Motion Plus remotes and nunchucks, I highly doubt that the Wii U, Xbox 720, and Playstation 4 will be on the verge of being replaced or with at least one successor already released when Wii product starts to disappear from retailers that stock new videogames.

The Wii has a solid few more years left, but it's much more dead at this point than the Playstation 2 was at the corresponding time in its life. New Playstation 2 console's were still widely available when the PS3 was 4 or 5 years old and there's little trouble locating accessories (Including 1st party) and new games at many retailers even today over 6 years after the console was replaced even though the supply of new consoles seems to have dried up over the past 12-18 months.

I can't see it being viable 4-5 years from now.

Edited by Atariboy

I always thought my Wii was one of the later ones that don't support GC games but when I turn it one with no disc, I get the "insert disc" screen which has generic pictures of BOTH Wii and GC discs. Is there any harm in trying a GC game in a wii that, supposedly, doesn't support it?

My Wii is a black one that we bought just a year or so ago.

If it was a year ago, it's a possibility that it's compatible. Without checking, I'd say that they started shipping the redesign in the Fall of 2011. Look around the case for controller and memory card ports hidden under doors that flip open. If they're there, it's compatible.

If it wasn't, I'm not sure what it would do if you insert a GCN disc. I would think that they engineered it for the possibility that someone might try it without reading the manual in order so that it wouldn't get stuck or cause any damage to the console or disc. In fact it might even be the same disc drive that they were using on compatible systems.

But I personally wouldn't try, particularly when it's so easy to tell without doing it.

Edited by Atariboy

I always thought my Wii was one of the later ones that don't support GC games but when I turn it one with no disc, I get the "insert disc" screen which has generic pictures of BOTH Wii and GC discs. Is there any harm in trying a GC game in a wii that, supposedly, doesn't support it?

My Wii is a black one that we bought just a year or so ago.

Is there ports for gamecube controllers on it if so then you should be ok

• 2 weeks later...

I usually wait a long time before buying a next-gen console. In this particular case, I don't see much difference between the Wii an Wii U besides the controller setup. Maybe when they release more games for it, but I am quite happy with my current system(s) for the time being.

• 5 weeks later...

I just bought a Wii at the Goodwill today for $14.99. It booted up when I plugged it into a television at the Goodwill so I'll check it out when I get home tonight!!

Now I can get back my favorite Wii games for the system:

Deadly Creatures

Red Steel II

Mushroom Men

Wii Sports

Conduit

I know, an eclectic list but hey to each their own!!

Douglas

:-)

I just bought a Wii at the Goodwill today for $14.99. It booted up when I plugged it into a television at the Goodwill so I'll check it out when I get home tonight!!

Now I can get back my favorite Wii games for the system:

Deadly Creatures

Red Steel II

Mushroom Men

Wii Sports

Conduit

I know, an eclectic list but hey to each their own!!

Douglas

:-)

Put homebrew channel and browser on it then you will have access to even more games/emulators

Great score. Gotta love that Goodwill pricing logic. My local GW prices a single PS2 game or GameCube game at like $10 for a copy of Madden 2005 or something. But along comes a Wii at your local GW, and they slap $15 on it. Less money for their charities, that way, and by overpricing other stuff that means it never sells. GW is ridiculous.

My local GW priced a tiny box of toothpicks at $4.99. I showed my wife, and she laughed. But I found an icom shortwave transceiver in the box for $5. I bought it and later sold it for $250.

Edited by Trekker_1138
  • Like 1