IGNORED

Egypt anyone?

Foxy Cleopatra

So I just finished playing Gauntlet Dark Legacy on the XBox which is essentially the same game on the DC with a few extra levels, and before that I played Serious Sam, and it got me thinking...

Why do so many game developers use Egypt as a theme in their games?

Off hand the only other game I can think of that uses it is Ms. Pac-Man Maze Madness on the DC but I know it's been in other games.

:? :ponder:

Well, "Egypt" is one of a relatively small number of instantly recognizable motifs, and it has lots of visually interesting hooks: pyramids, hyroglyphics, sphynxes, poor spelling (oh wait, that's me), pharoahs, sand, etc etc.

Actually, it's kind of fun to think about some of the "world cliches" you see, most often in 2d and 3d platformers:

Snow (penguins, ice blocks, igloos, slippery surfaces, blizzards, snowballs)

Volcano (Lava, Fireballs, dangerous hot surfaces)

Factory (lots of mechanical stuff, sometimes robots)

Jungle (lots of foliage, monkeys)

Water (various fish, sometimes swimming)

Tropical Island (palm trees, sometimes beach)

Haunted House (various monsters, graveyards)

Sky (lots of clouds)

can i buy your gauntlet i want one and i can't find it around here

for the DC or the XBox? The XBox version isn't mine, I just borrowed it from a friend. You don't want that copy, he has little kids and doesn't keep them away from his stuff. What's funny is how he brings over his slime encrusted controllers and then "trades" them for ours. :x S***head!

Once again the moron Foxy posts under her SO name. So Sorry :sad:

i don't really care starscream i just want one to play with my friends

You know what, I'll go look for one tomorrow after work since I'll be right by our local used game store, I know Starscream won't sell his DC copy, he is again thinking of completing his collection of DC games ( even though he sold off a bunch last year)

If you're interested in Egypt, there's a game called A Tale in the Desert that just went live.  It's an MMORPG, but without any killing.  It sounds pretty interesting, and was in development for four and a half years.  You can read more about it on this Slashdot article, which is how I found out about it.  :)

..Al

Just finishing downloading it (although I doubt ittle run on my 28.8 connection). If it does all it says it does in the FAQ then it should be pretty neat. The whole concept of having to have the skills in real life (such as artistic talent and leadership) to use them in a game is interesting. I guess this type of thing could only work in a mporg.

tell you what i'm gonna cheack around here for a little while and if nothing comes i'll ask you agin thanks for looking it made me happy

No problem it wasn't out of my way. I thought $25 was kind of high anyway. I will keep a look out around here too and let you know if I find anything. ;)