IGNORED

Ultimate 1Mb Upgrade

spookt

Look back at post #4 of this thread ..... shows a nice picture of a working Randomtask parallel port cable 10pin 2.54mm to a 10pin 2.00mm ... and the 10pin 2.00mm is what will fit into the socket of the Ultimate upgrade for flashing...

Yes, saw that. I don't have a randomtasks device, but I do have a usb byteblaster knock off. What I was wondering is if I need more than just a pitch converter for the header.

Hi,

yesterday I update two of my Ultimate 1 MB to V2 successfully. I´m using the Xilinx schematic for a simple JTAG CPLD flasher using the parallelport of a PC and two 74HC125. Works fine with iMPACT! (programming tool from the Xilinx ISE webpack).

BTW: Does anybody knows oder have a link to get the iMPACT standalone? 6.2 GiBytes for at least a better "PonyProg for Xilinx" is heavy duty :grin:

Now I´ve ordered the Xilinx USB programmer, because notebooks with legacy parallelport are rare. Hope it works well like the simple version.

• 2 months later...

You could use the U1MB Rom Builder or The ROM Generator to manipulate the OS (or BASIC or GAMES) ROMs within the U1MB Flash memory and flash the resulting ROM file to the flash chip. However at least one version of the chip used in Lotharek's U1MB units is not supported by the flasher (which is in fact the currrent SDX flasher for U1MB but happens to flash the whole flash chip if a 512K ROM file is given as input). We just found about that problem chip recently. (Please see this thread for details)

I've recently updated the flasher in ROM builder to the latest but, even the latest apparently still does not support SST39SF040 (It has 4K sector size instead of 64 as it is in other chips), it recognizes the chip but if you proceed with the flash it will brick your U1MB. if your chip is not SST39SF040 then you are OK, but I would still suggest checking the datasheet for your brand of chip before flashing to make sure it has 64K sector size.

Trub apparently will update the flasher some time soon to add support for 4K sector size.

Edited by atari8warez

• 1 month later...

A couple notes since I finally got around to updating my 800XLs Ultimate 1MB

You need one of these -

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2906445303241?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=290644530324&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Then you need to make a cable -

The programmer uses a 2x5 2.54mm pitch header and the U1MB (plus others) use a 2x5 2.0mm pitch header.

The 100 Random Tasks is set up as:

1 - VCC ---- 2 GND

3 - TCK ---- 4 GND

5 - TDO ---- 6 GND

7 - TDI ---- 8 GND

9 - TMS ---- 10 GND

That pinout is not for the device linked in that ebay auction :) (I know the text says 100 Random Tasks, but that threw me for a minute)

Then download this -

http://www.xilinx.co...nload/index.htm

After being bewildered by Vivado for entirely too long, I figured out what you simply need is this - Lab Tools - 14.5 Utilities, from here

http://www.xilinx.co...sign-tools.html

• 8 months later...

I want to load my own os into my Lotharek Ultimate 1 meg upgrade. How can I change one of the 4 OS images within the upgrade board.

Stephen J. Carden

http://www.realdos.net

Stephen,

Jon(FlashJazzCat) has written a very nice programming tool called UFLASH and is now on his website. Very small learning curve to figure out all the Bells and Whistles and recognizes both SST and AM29f040 chips. The program allows flashing individual slots also with rename. Also allows dumping of each slot or the whole rom.

Stephen,

Jon(FlashJazzCat) has written a very nice programming tool called UFLASH and is now on his website. Very small learning curve to figure out all the Bells and Whistles and recognizes both SST and AM29f040 chips. The program allows flashing individual slots also with rename. Also allows dumping of each slot or the whole rom.

I do not remember who told me about the web site and the utilities to change everything you would want to change. There are both Atari 8-bit and IBM Utilities that are very nice in there layout. Now When I need to change or update something on my U1Meg firmware I just pop the chip out reflash it with the firmware I want to run. But thank You for responding to my post. I am sure it will or already has helped an Atari User.

Stephen J. Carden

I do not remember who told me about the web site and the utilities to change everything you would want to change. There are both Atari 8-bit and IBM Utilities that are very nice in there layout. Now When I need to change or update something on my U1Meg firmware I just pop the chip out reflash it with the firmware I want to run. But thank You for responding to my post. I am sure it will or already has helped an Atari User.

IBM wrote a ROM editor for Ultimate? This I need to see. :)

However, I sent you links to both The ROM Generator and UFLASH in an email of 7 January 2014 Steve. Careful about pulling the PLCC out every time; proper PLCC removal tool or not, the socket will eventually suffer.

IBM wrote a ROM editor for Ultimate? This I need to see. :)

However, I sent you links to both The ROM Generator and UFLASH in an email of 7 January 2014 Steve. Careful about pulling the PLCC out every time; proper PLCC removal tool or not, the socket will eventually suffer.

Hello Jon!

No IBM the company did not write a utility for the Atari 8-Bit. I was just said IBM when I should have said their is a utility that run on a Windows XP or Greater machine. Here the link to the web site that has these utilities. http://www.fiftyonefiftysystems.com/Atari/TheRomGenerator/Dwnld.html

As for pulling a plcc or dip chips I have the proper equipment and knowledge to work with that hardware. You are right in saying do not pull chips anymore that is required. I have a 130xe that I put a zif 28 pin socket into it when we were working on Turboss OS. When Keith Ledbetter and I were working on the Express Cart we had installed 28 pin zif sockets in or carts just to keep from wearing out a standard socket.

Take Care!

Stephen J. Carden

• 2 years later...

I think this is called a necrobump? (kids these days)

Can someone take a gander at this and tell me if it's what I need in order to upgrade my U1MB CPLD from v1 to v2: eBay Xilinx USB Tool

And then in order to unbrick my AMIC 29040BL will this suffice: eBay MiniPRO-USB

It took 4 years for me to get around to installing these Ultimates - next time I wont wait quite this long :)

WOW, I guess you have 2 to fix.. the price of that stuff you could just replace the bricked one... but then where is the fun in that.... :)

James

Well, it'd have been more fun if the uflash would have just worked :) I do want to put the warning out there for early U1MB owners - you need to update your CPLD to v2 before you attempt to uflash anything - otherwise you'll be right in line to buy these hardware bits I am!

I do admit, it'll be interesting to learn how to update all this stuff - so I suppose there is SOME benefit.

Edited by tuf

Well, it'd have been more fun if the uflash would have just worked :) I do want to put the warning out there for early U1MB owners - you need to update your CPLD to v2 before you attempt to uflash anything - otherwise you'll be right in line to buy these hardware bits I am!

UFlash almost certainly worked fine. It's the old CPLD code preventing the machine from booting up. UFlash may be used quite safely with an U1MB with unmodified v1 boards. The issue is that the new BIOS requires RAM which the original board logic appears not to provide. So the caveat - if one is required - needs to be attached to the new BIOS.

psssht you know what he ment Flash,, he was not dissn uflash or the bios.. almost everyone who owns a u1m goes to your bios.. so the point is.. want to up the bios?? make sure the CPLD is upgraded first.. Which is what he said ;)

James

ps will have my incognito by weekend.. so I will need a bios upgrade too... I think this might be one of the early ones.. anything I need to know there FLASH??

Edited by Bikerbob

He said not to use uflash with a v1 CPLD. I only "know what he meant" because I have prior knowledge of the issue from the other thread. I do not know why the inference was drawn that I believed the software was being criticised. If I don't disambiguate the statement, I then get PMs asking why uflash should not be used with v1 boards, etc. Can't be bothered with that when it could just be clarified here in the first place. ;)

There was some issue with early Incognito VHDL preventing flashing from the loader. Best do a forum search and find out how to update it before proceeding.

Edited by flashjazzcat

He said not to use uflash with a v1 CPLD. I only "know what he meant" because I have prior knowledge of the issue from the other thread. I do not know why the inference was drawn that I believed the software was being criticised. If I don't disambiguate the statement, I then get PMs asking why uflash should not be used with v1 boards, etc. Can't be bothered with that when it could just be clarified here in the first place. ;)

There was some issue with early Incognito VHDL preventing flashing from the loader. Best do a forum search and find out how to update it before proceeding.

Trust me, I didn't take any of this as criticism but thanks to BikerBob for coming to my rescue :)

FJC has been heroically trying to help me in another Ultimate thread on this for a few days. I did make the mistake as referring to the entire process as 'uflashing' which is technically incorrect and does imply that UFLASH had something to do with bricking my U1MB. I bricked my U1MB by trying to run a new BIOS on an unsupported hardware config (CPLD v1).

So to try to steer back to my original question - what JTAG setup are people using these days? I'm about to pull the trigger on the flasher and JTAG cable I linked to above, but would love some feedback.

EDIT: WHOA POST #100! IM A LOSER, BEEN HERE 10 YEARS.

Edited by tuf