IGNORED

Vectrex - My first console - broken - easy repair

Game-Tech.US

You've inspired me to open my busted one up. I didn't do nearly as well though. My symptoms are similar, but sometimes I can coax it into playing a couple tones through the speaker before they fade out. The dot lazily bounces around the screen when that happens. Suspicious.

I did notice (or created while checking) a busted part. Some kind of green doodad next to the 8 pin whatzit. sounds get louder than they were when I short over it. I'm really not cut out for this. Back to the closet with you, vectrex.

Edited by Reaperman

You've inspired me to open my busted one up. I didn't do nearly as well though. My symptoms are similar, but sometimes I can coax it into playing a couple tones through the speaker before they fade out. The dot lazily bounces around the screen when that happens. Suspicious.

I did notice (or created while checking) a busted part. Some kind of green doodad next to the 8 pin whatzit. sounds get louder than they were when I short over it. I'm really not cut out for this. Back to the closet with you, vectrex.

Send it to me so I can make more Vectrex repair vids!

Thanx for the vids...

My vec is still working, but it takes a bit of time to start the first time. I'm guessing CAPs...

I've done some soldering, but nothing too serious..

(Last job was a composite mod on my 7800, which was tricky for me, but works great. I think it was tricky because I didn't wear glasses and my close up vision is starting to require that; and the cheapo Radio Shack soldering iron I used...)

So I'm a bit nervous...

But, I think I'm getting a soldering / hot air station for Christmas..(fingers crossed)

If so, with a bit of practice, I might get bold enough to try to replace the caps on my Vec (and eventually my A1200 , as it will probably need it..).

But the more vids, the better!!!

Thanx

desiv

Again thanks for the second video .. It has been a very long time .. maybe ten years since I opened and serviced a Vectrex ..

My first experience was in 1998 when I was given two Vectri about which I was told were from some very nasty hygiene people and both consoles were full of dead bugs. I spent most of an afternoon just getting them apart and dumping the bugs outside .. Neither logic board survived .. As there was at least 1/2" of dead bugs on top of them. Both power boards were ok once cleaned up and I was able to salvage all the plastic parts ..

Soon after that Mark Shaker came across NOS Vectrex boards! I bought one logic board to resurrect one Vectrex back to life!

Edited by Rob Mitchell