IGNORED

Anyone else try playing games as a Pacifist

Robert M

Hi,

Sometimes I like to try and play games on my Atari 2600 without killing any of the "enemies". I think Beserk is rather fun this way. Try to keep playing without ever shooting. Adventure is another good one, just never pick up the sword. |:)

Does anyone else try this?

Well yeah.. in modern games like Unreal Tournament, you can arrange it so no one kills anybody else, and just sort of use it as a "virtual meeting" area.

Think of it as online chat with 3D bodies. You all hook up in one room, chat, socialize, walk around together and even sightsee!

And you can have virtual dances where everyone just sort of wiggles their mouse....

Well, that kind of what I mean, but I was more interested in Atari 2600 games. I see not attacking as a way to increase the challenge of a game or add replay value. Its very possible to beat Adventure without killing any of the dragons, but it is more difficult. In Beserk, the robots will run into walls and shoot each other. You gain points when they die just as if you shot them, so its possible to have a high score and never fire a single shot.

Cheers!

I was just kidding dude.. ;) I've never played UT like that. I just made that up :P

Yeah I've played Berzerk that way.. more as a strategy (especially in the arcade game where Robots could be sealed off where you can't reach them), by having them run into each other, Run into Walls, Make Evil Otto run into them... But i've never played a full game that way. I guess if you're bored that's a new way to play it ;)

Think of it as online chat with 3D bodies. You all hook up in one room, chat, socialize, walk around together and even sightsee!

I know you were pulling his leg, but that sort of thing has been around for almost a decade at http://www.activeworlds.com (see http://www.awcommunity.org/awhs/ - the AlphaWorld Historical Society.) It looks like it costs 7 bucks a month nowadays, but it also looks a lot cooler (3D has obviously come a long way) and more populated than it was when I last visited in 1997 or so. I don't believe there's such a thing as violence there at all, though things could have changed.

And of course nowadays there are things like Everquest, but the female manager of my local Gamestop started getting this nervous tic and talking about all the great raids she had been on when I picked up an EQ box to look at the cover art. Not a place for pacifists.

And you can have virtual dances where everyone just sort of wiggles their mouse....

Hey, if that's what you want to call it, who am I to judge :lol: