IGNORED

Monopoly

MrFish

7 hours ago, Avram said:

This mock up looks fantastic!

Thanks

7 hours ago, Avram said:

Could you simulate shadows on the 3D items (dice and cards) with black stippling?

Why would I want to do that when I have 128 solid colors available? Do you just think the shading needs to be darker?

Most of the computer versions I've played don't incorporate money graphics into gameplay much -- since it isn't a necessity. In my book, it isn't Monopoly without the money. I want to have payments during gameplay, probably with options as to which payments use it (including no payments using it, if desired). So, for instance, you could have just property purchases use visual payments, or every type of money exchange use visual payments, etc.

money.thumb.png.91ff29e3ee23c04ebb82be77f0657cd7.png

money1.thumb.png.5a68fd13ddfa5ddacb28d2f06303e6e5.png

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Avram said:

Regarding the shadowing, I meant the objects casting a shadow onto the board.

Ah, I see. I hadn't thought of that; but the same thing applies; I can use any shade of gray I'd like. Not sure if it'll add much, but I'll mess around a little bit and see...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beeblebrox said:

I'd settle for an NTSC version (I have an NTSC A8 I occasionally roll out).

Just wait until I work on a PAL color-adjusted version first. That way I can post both at the same time. There are others that just have PAL machines and won't be able to view it right without a proper version.

BTW (speaking of colors), the most recent image has 42 colors (41 without the shadows). 11 of those are going to be all the hues used, at their lowest luminances -- where black is overlaid by the PMG's; but they can still be detected as unique colors in a lot of cases; in some cases they'll appear nearly black (less so for PAL). A lot of colors for a hi-res image, and I'm really not doing any gradient shading to get there -- except for the single luminence change on each of the info panels and the same for the dice and card shading.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As good as animated cash being shown would look I think ultimately it could become an unwanted slowdown.

There's 2 reasons to play this game on a computer instead of the board version - computer player/s to make up for lack of present humans, and the speedup aspect of the entire thing.

Edited by Rybags

3 hours ago, Rybags said:

computer player/s to make up for lack of present humans, and the speedup aspect of the entire thing.

There's 3, actually. The 3rd one is not having to set up the board and keep track of the pieces -- and to keep from losing them.

3 hours ago, Rybags said:

As good as animated cash being shown would look I think ultimately it could become an unwanted slowdown.

I have no intent to animate it: the idea was to quickly display it and make it vanish as quickly.

You're correct, that it could slow the game down to a point that might not be appreciated; but if you read what I wrote, I would only be implementing it with options to determine which transactions would display money, or whether money would be displayed at all (and as an option that could be changed at any time during the game).

If money were only displayed during buying of properties (as I mentioned above), I think this would still allow for fast enough gameplay overall. As properties were bought up, there would be less and less purchasing until finally there would be no purchasing and no displaying of money.

[Edit]

I've played versions of Monopoly that show a money-exchange animation for everything; and I don't like it, in part because of the slowdowns, but more so because it's displayed for every single type of transaction (of which there are a lot). That's why I'm only considering it under the condition of having options for minimal display of money all the way down to no display of money (for transactions; money graphics will still be displayed on some static screens -- inventory, for instance).

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MrFish said:

Most of the computer versions I've played don't incorporate money graphics into gameplay much -- since it isn't a necessity. In my book, it isn't Monopoly without the money. I want to have payments during gameplay, probably with options as to which payments use it (including no payments using it, if desired). So, for instance, you could have just property purchases use visual payments, or every type of money exchange use visual payments, etc.

money.thumb.png.91ff29e3ee23c04ebb82be77f0657cd7.png

money1.thumb.png.5a68fd13ddfa5ddacb28d2f06303e6e5.png

I love the look of the money, and it's also a huge brag for additional colours on the screen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

I love the look of the money, and it's also a huge brag for additional colours on the screen.

The game is all about money, not just some score under your name. Remember the feeling when you had a big stack of bills after beating up on your opponents for a while? I suppose I could add a "Bank Card" mode, for those who treasure the modern era (display a little bank card with a message below "$46 added to your account"). :D

I'm contemplating a function on the inventory screen for when you select your money, where you'll see some representation of it with a lot of bills in the center of the screen.

[Edit] For "Bank Card" mode, I'll show an image of a bank vault door, your favorite bank's logo, or an ATM machine? :D

• Like 1

nice design, but where are tokens and houses? did you reserved pm objects for those "dynamic" elements?

also... it may cause design inconsistency, but I suppose it does not make sense to have the top line with upside down texts ...since (i guess) nobody will play with the monitor upside down....hence trying to avoid the KRAP space :D

Looking forward to get this moving, with the AI opponents it could be nice local play... but since it is a turn-based board game it is also a strong candidate for some fujinet mumbo jumbo.

5 minutes ago, matosimi said:

also... it may cause design inconsistency, but I suppose it does not make sense to have the top line with upside down texts ...since (i guess) nobody will play with the monitor upside down....hence trying to avoid the KRAP space :D

you'll need to read back as these topics have been talked about earlier

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Avram said:

Thank you for adding the shadows. This looks superb.

Thanks, no problem; it was an interesting experiment. Not something I really want to add. It's going a little further than I want with the 3D part. There are some limitations to shaping the shadow for the dice too, because of using a quad-width player.

• Like 1