IGNORED

Wii U - Code 103-1001 - Refuses to Connect to Wireless

oracle_jedi

I am posting this in case anyone else is having similar problems.

The Wii-U seems to have a serious problem connecting to wireless routers, I see there are several forums already filled with frustrated users.

My unit found the network, but refused to connect with code 103-1001, suggesting that the key was wrong. After a lot of trial and error, and a less-than-useless Nintendo online support, I have determined that I had to manually enter an IP address, DNS server and Gateway settings into the Wii-U network set up panel.

My router is a Motorola SURFboard SGB6580 and I use Comcast for cable internet, all pretty standard and up-to-date stuff.

The house has over a dozen laptops, ipads, ipods, a PS3 and an old Wii that all talk to the network without a problem, this is the only device I have that has ever had a problem.

It is now happily patching itself, so who knows, maybe the kids will actually get to play something today, maybe.

Thanks for making a thread on this. I was having the same problem last night, and after re-typing my WPA key in 7 or 8 times, I just said "screw it" and gave up. In reality, all I wanted to do was spend some time on Nintendoland and New Super Mario Brothers U before heading to bed. I will attempt your solution tonight though, I'd like to get the required updates squared away.

Edited by Austin

I had this issue, but I found a solution: MAKE SURE THERE IS NOTHING NEARBY THAT CAN INTERFERE WITH THE WI-FI.

I was having the same issues, and tried everything. Thing is, I had my system sitting next to our TiVo, which was also connected to the Wi-Fi. I moved my Wii U system 2 more inches away from it, and I kid you not that solved my issues. I also found that when I closed it behind the glass doors in our entertainment center that that would mess with the internet signal. Even when someone would walk in front of the system (between the invisible, non-existent line between our router and Wii U) the signal would sometimes go out.

Just try moving the Wii U to another location or something. It's just very finicky with the Wi-Fi, but once you get it moved to a good location you shouldn't have any more issues.

Worst case scenario, you can also buy a Wii LAN Ethernet adaptor. Those will still work with the Wii U.

tl;dr

Step 1: Make sure there's no Wi-Fi devices nearby

Step 2: Make sure there's not too many walls, doors, etc. between the Wii U and Router

Step 3: If Steps 1 and 2 don't work, try a Wii LAN Ethernet Adaptor

Edited by Animan