IGNORED

Tank! Tank! Tank!.. Anyone try it?

Austin

Just curious what everyone's opinions are on this Wii U game, provided any of you out there have tried it. For the most part I've read mixed things on it. At first it was mostly bad reviews from the usual sources, but then I noticed several people in the more arcade-centric forums I visit really like it. Any thoughts from anyone here? I have a few gift cards and may end up trying it out. I do like simplistic, arcade-like experiences (ala most of Sega's Dreamcast titles), and it's been a while since I've played a home port of a modern arcade game outside of the typical lightgun, fighting and shmup ports.

Edited by Austin

Well, considering I was using what was essentially free money, I went ahead and picked up a copy (along with Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed). I've only played four or five missions so far, but it's exactly what I thought it would be--a fun, late '90s/early '00s-style arcade game. The visuals are suitable, the game plays well (not that there's much you can do--just move and shoot), it sounds fine, and it's fun, simplistic arcade-style action. I can't say it's worth the $50 it sells for, but it's by no means a 5/10 game for those that appreciate what used to be a common occurance on systems like the Dreamcast. Once it drops to the range of your typical budget title, I can see it being appreciated by more people.

Have you been able to do any multiplayer stuff?

Nah, just solo so far. From what I understand, there is no online play, just local multiplayer. My assumption is also that there is at most-likely at least a co-op mode, as when you play single-player, there is always a CPU-controlled tank playing along with you (I'm guessing that is controlled by a human in multiplayer). There may be some head-to-head modes, but I haven't looked into them yet.

Edited by Austin

After playing it some more, I find some of the battles to be pretty broken (in a bad way). Does anyone know how to defeat the first three-headed dragon without getting completely destroyed by his final attack pattern, where he shoots out these homing missiles/objects? I'd like to be able to complete each battle without dying, but that fight in particular makes it seem like that feat is impossible.