IGNORED

Can anyone in the US to a VBXE install for me?

Frankie

According to Sloopy, if the right-angle header on the XL Antic adapter is mounted high enough, the VBXE clears the adjacent chips. I can make a suitable adapter up if you like (it would mean there'd be no need to move those components), but I'll have to test if the theory is correct first.

According to Sloopy, if the right-angle header on the XL Antic adapter is mounted high enough, the VBXE clears the adjacent chips. I can make a suitable adapter up if you like (it would mean there'd be no need to move those components), but I'll have to test if the theory is correct first.

That worked! I just put another socket under it. I finished the install.

How can I run it through it's paces to see if I have it correct?

I'm using an RGB upscaler to give me a (us) standard VGA output.

Frank

That worked! I just put another socket under it. I finished the install.

How can I run it through it's paces to see if I have it correct?

I'm using an RGB upscaler to give me a (us) standard VGA output.

Frank

on candles website there is a disk image that contains various test programs. one of them is a color bar generator (RGB and white IIRC), there is an 80 column demo, and there are various non-demo programs that make use of the VBXE, but I don't know them.

http://spiflash.org/files/vbxe/release-examples.zip <-- there is a 16MB atr in there I think with various examples for the VBXE.

on candles website there is a disk image that contains various test programs. one of them is a color bar generator (RGB and white IIRC), there is an 80 column demo, and there are various non-demo programs that make use of the VBXE, but I don't know them.

http://spiflash.org/...se-examples.zip <-- there is a 16MB atr in there I think with various examples for the VBXE.

Wow! These are amazing!

Frank

I can't see how you could put a second socket in and not get clearance issues with the keyboard - suppose it might vary due to the different types around.

Also, VBXE simply doesn't plug and hold in one of the cheap standard sockets.

Re clearance of board mounted components, the only thing I changed was the capacitor that's up/left from the Antic socket, I put another in with more leg showing and just bent it over.

It just touches the top of the keyboard. Closes without any problem. My board already had precision sockets put in.

What I was actually talking about was making a special Antic adapter board with the right-angle header soldered as high up as possible. Sloopy said this might allow the VBXE to clear the surrounding ICs without the need for an extra socket. I asked Candle for some spare adapter boards so I could do this on my 1200XL, although in this case an extra socket is still required for adequate clearance, and yet a third socket so that the VBXE clears the PAL GTIA adapter board. It all works, although replacing the machine socket under Antic is highly recommended.

Could take some pictures?

I still have a vbxe waiting to be installed.

it has a xe adapter, but now I would like to install it into a 800xl.

I have done the same in mine board who is still sitting to the drawer of my desk! :-D Of course with the help of Sebastian who sent me some adapters.

Louis, your board is 2 days long from here if you sent it as a registered irregular letter. When you decide it, I have the proper equipment to convert it into XL compatible.

Edited by santosp

Did you do the obvious? By running down the wires?

And I'm curious, how did you mount the DB9.

And moreover, what is that blackbox doing on top of the modulator?

All the wires seem solid. Rangling them around doesn't effect the video output. The DB9 is mounted with hot-glue.