IGNORED

Intellivision III video troubles...

ataridave

I should have posted my original thread here, but here it is:

http://www.atariage....livision-games/

I don't know what to do at this point.

I think I know what you're talking about. On Astrosmash, does the screen flicker every time the music plays (it's like the steady beat of a snare drum)? I have no less than 10 copies of Astrosmash and every one does this. I think it's inherent to the game. Atlantis does a similar thing. One the Atlantis start-up screen, you will notice the flickering (screen gets fuzzy) while the guns are firing. I'm guessing that for the system to process the sound, it somehow pulls power from the graphics.....or something like that :)

The good news is that your system and games are fine :grin:

I think I know what you're talking about. On Astrosmash, does the screen flicker every time the music plays (it's like the steady beat of a snare drum)? I have no less than 10 copies of Astrosmash and every one does this. I think it's inherent to the game. Atlantis does a similar thing. One the Atlantis start-up screen, you will notice the flickering (screen gets fuzzy) while the guns are firing. I'm guessing that for the system to process the sound, it somehow pulls power from the graphics.....or something like that :)

The good news is that your system and games are fine :grin:

That's exactly what's happening; good to know there's nothing wrong! :) Do all models of Intellivsion do this?

People are telling me it's the modulator on my INTV System III-would you agree, or do all models of Intellivision do this???

OK, I did some testing. First of all, I noticed that if it did it on Astrosmash, it always did it on Atlantis as well, so it seems to be the same issue.

I tested multiple systems and here are the results (YES I observed the effect, or NO I didn't):

Intellivision 1 (YES)

Intellivision 2 (NO)

Intellivision 2 (NO)

Tandyvision (YES)

Tandyvision (YES)

GE Sylvania (Yes)

INTV Sys III (YES at first, but NO after warmed up)

I'm not really sure what this means, but maybe it's fixable. I didn't notice it on either of the Intellivision 2s I tested, but I did notice it on most of the ones with the standard shape. Warming up seemed to help.

If I get more time, I'll let the INTV System III cool down and see if it does it again when it gets cold. I might also try a bunch of Intellivision 1s to see if any are immune or if they all do it.

Side note.....On the INTV III, I played a full game of Astrosmash and got my second highest score (190,975). My highest is still 669,160 and took around 2 hours, if I remember right. Numb thumb indeed :-o

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

I tested multiple systems and here are the results (YES I observed the effect, or NO I didn't):

Intellivision 1 (YES)

Intellivision 2 (NO)

Intellivision 2 (NO)

Tandyvision (YES)

Tandyvision (YES)

GE Sylvania (Yes)

No Sears Super Arcade?

OK, I did some testing. First of all, I noticed that if it did it on Astrosmash, it always did it on Atlantis as well, so it seems to be the same issue.

Intellivision 1 (YES)

Intellivision 2 (NO)

Intellivision 2 (NO)

Tandyvision (YES)

Tandyvision (YES)

GE Sylvania (Yes)

I'm not really sure what this means, but maybe it's fixable. I didn't notice it on either of the Intellivision 2s I tested, but I did notice it on most of the ones with the standard shape. Warming up seemed to help.

If I get more time, I'll let the INTV System III cool down and see if it does it again when it gets cold. I might also try a bunch of Intellivision 1s to see if any are immune or if they all do it.

Side note.....On the INTV III, I played a full game of Astrosmash and got my second highest score (190,975). My highest is still 669,160 and took around 2 hours, if I remember right. Numb thumb indeed :-o

Hope this helps!

It does indeed! :) By warming the system up, do you mean just turn it on for a while before I play the games that I'm having issues with?

OK, well that's certainly easy enough to do! :) BTW, I had no idea that there were so many models of Intellivision! I thought it was just the 1, 2, and 3!

There are 10! :-o

Mattel Intellivision 1

Mattel Intellivision 2

Tandyvision

Sylvania/GTE Intellivision

Sears Super Video Arcade

Super Pro System

INTV 3

Bandai Intellivision

Digiplay 1

Digiplay 2

The disc on the Tandyvision, Intellivision I, Intellivision System III, and Super Pro Systems all feel pretty similar to me. The Intellivision 2 is much different. I don't know if better or worse, as I haven't played with it as much. One thing that took me a while to get used to on the Intellivision 2 was that the side buttons are spaced apart much farther than on the other consoles.

There are 10! :-o

Mattel Intellivision 1

Mattel Intellivision 2

Tandyvision

Sylvania/GTE Intellivision

Sears Super Video Arcade

Super Pro System

INTV 3

Bandai Intellivision

Digiplay 1

Digiplay 2

Isn't the Super Pro System just an INTV 3 and it's just a name change variant? Just like a Mattel Intellivision 2 where some have a red stripe and some do not?

Edited by IntellivisionDude