IGNORED

Controller Help

GideonsDad

I just got my 5200, totally psyched up to play it (never owned one before, lushgirl_80 would be so proud ^_-). Anyway, I got 2 of the standard 5200 controllers and the left side fire button(s) do not work - on either controller. I can't play Centipede or Missile Command but I can play Kangaroo and RealSports Tennis because those apparently utilize the right top fire button.

Any idea what's wrong with the controllers, could it be the console's controller ports?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Either the carbon dots have worn out or the flex circuits are cracked. The only way to tell is to open the controller. If the traces in the circuits are cracked, you'll have to replace the flex circuit itself. If not, the foil dot trick will work. I'm not well versed in doing it, but the procedure is undoubtedly posted somewhere in this forum.

do you have an ohm meter (multimeter) cause the controller is directly wired to the system with no encoding so you can easily test uppy downy lefy righty and the buttons just search for a contoller pinout to find which pins to test (i often use small paperclips to get the readings since normal probes are too thick to get in the pinholes

also it is possible to break a pin on the control port check to see if all 15 pins are there 8 on top 7 on bottom my system is missing like 5 pins i just shoved in header pins to repair

you are confusing me since they have buttons on the other side do they work

Edited by bohoki

I had the exact opposite problem -- the fire button wouldn't STOP firing! Cleaned the contact, that solved the problem.

BTW, you said just the left fire button, right? I've found it actually easier to wrap my fingers around and use the buttons on the right...then again, I'm right-handed at gaming...if you're left-handed, that might not be so easy...

Best Electronics has a good tutorial on their website on how to open the controllers, but more importantly, how to put them back together again. I had the same problem with my 5200 controllers, and a good cleaning with a pencil eraser solved the problem. Good thing I had the instructions on how to put the controllers back together again though. It can be frustrating if you don't know what your doing.

Forgot to mention that there is a video on Youtube which shows how to clean a controllers flex circuit with an eraser. It carries you through the whole process of opening the controller, cleaning it, and putting it back together again.

EDIT: Geez, I guess I need to start reading other people's posts. RickR's video post above is the youtube video I was talking about.

Edited by PSW

The part of the flex circuit nearest to the lower-left fire button bears the most stress when the controller is opened. Be sure to pop off the bezel surrounding the Start/Pause/Reset buttons BEFORE removing the screws and opening the controller. Use the tip of a screwdriver or some other conductive tool and touch the flex circuit where the fire buttons would contact it. If no action occurs on screen, then there's a good chance that the traces on the flex circuit are damaged.

• 3 months later...

I've rebuilt a number of 5200 controllers now. If you open one that you don't know the history of, replace the flex circuit without question. They're under $10 shipped. Never mind erasing or cleaning or checking for breaks, just replace the thing with a new one. I didn't need the super expensive Best Gold ones or anything, I just got some Rev 9 ones online and they worked great with foil dots.

You'll save yourself a ton of headaches that way.