IGNORED

TI-99/4a Keyboard caps/keys question

Space Centurion

Hi all, just wondering.....has anyone with the TI-99/4a replaced their black keyboard with the white/beige ones available, and then swapped off the caps back to the black ones? I bought a 4a a few days ago, and it turned out the "P" key is dead. The bigger problem is that the P key has the " as well, so I can not try and load anything. I tried fixing the keyboard, but it is no use. I got the P to work a few times, then it is dead again. And now some other keys are acting up...lol... So I just ordered a new one from Ebay, but it is white, and I do enjoy the older black look. So, just wondering if you can swap the caps around easily. Thanks.

Hi Rick, thanks for your reply. I'm ok (so-far) on the keyboard. I have a few on its way to me as we speak. I guess I'll find out when they get here wether I can swap them out or not. I am not a purist collector, so if I have to stay with a white keyboard, that'll be ok. It'll match my C64c and C128...lol.

Hi Rick, thanks for your reply. I'm ok (so-far) on the keyboard. I have a few on its way to me as we speak. I guess I'll find out when they get here wether I can swap them out or not. I am not a purist collector, so if I have to stay with a white keyboard, that'll be ok. It'll match my C64c and C128...lol.

Yeah, I don't blame you. As long as it works, color doesn't matter. Enjoy.

• 11 months later...

Living in the U.K - I had no option but to swap like for like(the beige model was never released here), one of my better looking 4a's developed a keyboard problem-Ha!, easy I thought, strip one out of one of my other machines and swap them over.

All my machines were the aluminium cased versions so I expected it to be a 2 minute job, you can imagine how I laughed and said to myself - oh you naughty little machine(or words to that effect) when I discovered that the mounting holes were in different locations.

I tried another which was ok, I did not really follow up why there were diferent issues of the keyboard but I assume it is due to manufacturing differences between the U.S assembled and Italian assembled machines.

• 2 weeks later...