IGNORED

How big is your 5200 collection?

sqoon

I have two 4-port units, which I thought one was bad, did the Power Mod on it and changed out

the two 7805' transistors. because it was getting no voltage and its working now.

I have the atarimax 128 in one cartridge.. and two good controllers.

I am going to get the trackball one day/

Favorite game is missile command and ms pacman.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Do you have multiple consoles, 2 and 4 port, or just one? Are you close to completing the original game cartridge library in your personal collection? What are the most difficult pieces to acquire to complete a 5200 set?

I just started collecting. I have one nice looking 4 port. I found it on Amazon. It ended up costing me $18 shipped! I have one CIB game in sweet condition. Space dungeon. Complete with the coupler. I got that for $30 +ship. I also had 3 original controllers, that I made 2 working sticks from. I just found 2 flex's for $3, on eBay. $6 with ship. I hope the left bottom button works on these. I have two other games, PacMan, and Qix. To save time, and money, I bought the AtariMax cart. I love it, it is worth the money (and space, as I iive within 400 square feet). To me this is a good start, and a nice set-up. All for about the price of an Xbox 360 core.

I also have 2 Wico's I got cheap off of eBay. The only thing is there are no Y cables. I check daily. I might end up asking someone to make one for me. I tried myself, but it looked overwhelming at that time. I fancy myself a "hacker" so I will revisit the project.

I started collecting with the 5200, as it was my favorite console as a child. I do want to collect more early 8 bit consoles.

My 5200 collection seems to grow despite my attempts to cull it. And it's the hardware that I can't seem to pass up. I don't know what it is, but I'm a sucker for cheap 5200 controllers. I must have about a dozen now that need repair of some kind.

Luckily, as of yesterday, I've sold all but four consoles (and I need to sell two of those). I finally sold my official carrying case because I just didn't have the space for it.

I'm probably moving in a different direction from those reading this thread. Ideally, I'd like to get rid of all but one CIB set (asterisk model), one workhorse console, one Wico and keypad, one Comp Pro, one Masterplay, one coupler, four original controllers, one trak-ball, and my multicart. But I'm a long way from there.

• Like 1

'bout 45 pounds. icon_winking.gif

I bought an upright Tempest (couldn't wait for 5200 Tempest) and that led to getting into collecting more upright Atari vectors.

My Dad got Tempest Standing back in '83. I just cannot get into any port of the game. It's all in the dial. Without it, I don't enjoy it one tenth..

I have a ton of 5200 stuff, as it is how I got into collecting Atari. I have every released game (cart only, homemade boxes), boxes of controllers, many, many homebrews, a couple of flash carts, and 3 consoles (including one very nice boxed).

It's easier to say what I do not have and desire: the carrying case (still kicking myself for missing one of these on eBay about 5-6 years ago), and a StarCon Arcade Joystick Controller.

My Dad got Tempest Standing back in '83. I just cannot get into any port of the game. It's all in the dial. Without it, I don't enjoy it one tenth..

Dial controller is possible on 5200. Get Bohoki's 15 pin adapter and buy an Ultra racer PC controller off ebay. Works excellent for games like Kaboom, Super Breakout, and Tempest.

• Like 1

I have a boxed as new 4 port and several 2 and 4 port unboxed, boxed and unboxed trackball controller, 7 controllers unboxed and 2 new in box controllers, 2600 adapter a CIB Space Dungeon and 40+ loose carts (multiples of some) and finally 2 CIB Masterplay 5200 controller adapters. I helped an unknown (aside from a couple emails) person who was struggling with a very difficult family situation that I too had dealt with and when I drove 11 hours to meet this gentleman in person, knowing from our emails my love for all things gaming, I then understood why he was adamant about meeting in person. This gentleman gave me his entire collection of vintage gaming and computer items that he no longer could enjoy and insisted I accept it in return for my support. There are a few lessons to be taken from this, there is always someone less fortunate than ourselves and if at all possible we should help if we are able without any expectation for repayment and as shown many, many times on this forum, gaming is more than just an activity but something that has the ability to change lives in so many great ways. \m/ Rock On AA!

• Like 1

I have an original 4-port, unmodified, 15 games complete in boxes, 3 games loose, one working controller. I have three other controllers in a parts box waiting for new flex circuits I hope to get some day. The 5200 remains my all-time favorite game console so it gets more attention than others. Favorite game is Star Raiders and my favorite accessory is the Trak-Ball controller (had one years ago before it stopped working). Hardest game for me to come across is Space Dungeon and the hardest accessory for me to track down is the controller holder.

I don't really think the VCS Adapter will be a part of my collection as it is cheaper to get a 2600 and I already have a 2600 jr for playing 2600 games. I don't need my 5200 to play 2600 games. Besides, that sort of defeats the purpose of owning a 5200 in my opinion.

Got a four-port - my first 5200 found in the wild - and a two-port I found in a car wash garbage can (replaced the motherboard with one from Best).

As for games, 46 in total, including 27 by Atari, one homebrew (Koffi) and a couple reproductions. (That's unique titles, not counting duplicates.)

I initially got my hands on a Wico controller with a Y cable, which basically made it playable for me. Much later I got a second Wico boxed with the keypad just last year. Those are probably my gems.

Edited by Brian R.