IGNORED

A newbie has questions

Cousin Vinnie

Prices vary depending on where you're at. The average seems to be about $20-$30 USD for a non boxed Lynx and around $30-40 for a boxed one. Game range from $2-$50 depending on what they are. Most seem to be around the $10 - $20 range though.

Lynx games are the all the same no matter what country they came from so the British, Australian, and US releases are all compatable.

Game range from $2-$50 depending on what they are. Most seem to be around the $10 - $20 range though.  

...but many of the very best games are extremely cheap for the Lynx.

"Rampart", "Klax", "Chip's Challenge", "Hydra", "Steel Talons", and "The Gates of Zendocon" are all must-haves, and they're all typically sold in lots of 4 or 5 on eBay for around $5 or $6 (total). Now that's a deal! :)

Well, since you hit that vein, what are everyone's must have games and why...

I always wanted to play Kung Food, Basketbrawl, and Scrapyard Dog, but I hear those games aren't that great.

Also, how good is Qix and is there Tempest somewhere? Also, is T-tris (homebrew Tetris) lame? I saw a review where it got a 4 out of 10.

Cousin Vinnie

I always wanted to play Kung Food, Basketbrawl, and Scrapyard Dog

Another reason not to pay any attention to rumours! "Kung Food" is lots of fun, and you can buy it for around $3 or $4 -- at the most. "Scrapyard Dog" is the Lynx's best platformer ("Shadow of the Beast" fans will disagree, but it really is too hard for the average gamer), but I've found that it is difficult to find at a reasonable price. "Basketbrawl" is definitely a miss, though.

Vinnie,

I can tell you that I myself have only had my Lynx for just over a year now. I have managed to amass quite a collection of Lynx games in that time. My must haves from my collection and from what I have played would be the following:

Xenophobe - I still need one!..but I have played it and love the lynx version!

Rampage - About the best port of the game I have found yet!

Paperboy - Easier than any other version I have played...hence why I like it!

CyberVirus - Forhan's Homebrew masterpiece! Gotta get this one!

Gates of Zendocon - slow paced shooter...but can get tight at times.

Rygar - Classic platform action

Shadow of the Beast - I don't care that it is hard...it is simply gorgeous to look at!

That is what comes to mind right now...I do on occasion like to pop in Crystal Mines 2 and Toki.

Many also consider Warbirds to be a must have. While I do think the mechanics of the game are impressive in that it is basically a true 3D enviroment you fly around in...the single player portion of the game just doesn't keep me going. I am told Warbirds is best com lynxed anyway.

I also would like to find me a Slimeworld someday as I have played that in emulation and really like the game.

As for Basketbrawl, the general concensus is thus:

7800 version - tolerable

Lynx version - SUCKS!!!

Hope that helps you out Vinnie!

;)

For me, the "must-haves" (that I already own) are:

Blue Lightning - Do I really need to explain? Even if it weren't a great game, it's a nice way to show off the Lynx's capabilities.

Rampage - Ah, mayhem and destruction. I like this version better than any version but the arcade version.

Roadblasters - One of my all-time favorite arcade games. Since I can't afford a Roadblasters coin-op machine, the Lynx version is the next best thing.

Battle Wheels - More mayhem and destruction. Running down an opponent with your car is a guilty pleasure.

Xybots - I like 3D shooters, and this one's a lot of fun and has a ton of levels.

Klax - Mmm... Klax. As addicting as Tetris, and with very nice sound!

The games I don't have yet and really want are Electrocop, Battlezone 2000, and Joust. Not sure if they're "must-haves," but I must have them!

Welcome to a growing legion of satisfied Lynx players. The question you want to ask is how much you want to spend. What is great about the Lynx is that the top games can be had for under $10 even under $5. The must games even are cheap like Klax which has the most mindblowing sound on any portable. Good games for incredibly cheap are Chips Challenge, Crystal Mines, Shanghai, Steel Talons, Xybots, Klax, Rampart (my personal fave). The last two are essential titles and Shanghai is great. If you have some more dough to spend, there are a ton of mid range games between $10 and $20. I would say the essential ones are STUN Runner, a great game and a mind blowing achievement for the Lynx, Joust, Roadblasters, Rampage, Battlewheels especially in multiplayer. I am probably in the minority but I feel that Electrocop is the most overrated game on the Lynx. The graphics are great but the gameplay is really bland and it has no replay value. Just a glorified maze game. Over $20 and you really got to question if you are a gamer or a collector. Cybervirus is probably the best homebrew out there, and Lemmings is a great game to play and is rare for the collector. Stay away from Basketbrawl. It is probably the worst game on the Lynx. Kung Food is cheap but not a good game.

I think Kung Food would have been a lot better if you didn't have to be exactly lined up with the character you're fighting in order to hit him. It makes the characters seem like they're paper thin. I think it's an okay game, but I never put much time into it.

I think the Lynx games' quirkiness (especially in their titles and cover art) might have been their commercial downfall, in some cases. I mean how many people actually looked at Kung Food in the store and said, "Now that's what I've been looking for! A Double Dragon style fighting game, only you control an anthropomorphic asparagus!"

The must games even are cheap like Klax which has the most mindblowing sound on any portable

I agree, but have to say that the digitized sounds in Lexis come a very close second. Many people seem to hate the game, but I find it incredibly addicting. If you're looking for a fusion of "Scrabble" and Klax, try out Lexis. :)