IGNORED

Floppy 40 pin IDC socket to plug - Hxc Floppy Emulator

GadgetUK

Does anyone know where I can get such a thing? I received the Hxc Floppy Emulator today and I cannot install it because the STFM floppy data cable is like 2 inches long and will not reach in order to mount the emulator in the floppy drive position =/ Plus, its mounted directly onto the board instead of being like a normal PC floppy IDC cable...

Same problem with the power but I guess I can solder a longer power lead on as its only 4 pins and should be easy to do.

Any ideas? If I had know this I wouldnt have ordered this model, I would have gone for the one thats the same physical size as the 3.5" floppy.

EDIT: Just realised its 34 pin not 40... Think I may have found one on EBAY...

EDIT2: No, its in the states - will take forever to get here... Anywhere in europe I can buy an extension for 34 pin IDC?

EDIT3: Never mind, i've just ordered one from the states. Very annoying that I didn't know it would needs these cables extending. My own fault for not reading enough I guess. For the moment I will just use it sat deep within the case lol until the extenders arrive.

Edited by GadgetUK

I installed a HxC in my STFM and had to extend the power cable, desoldered the flat ribbon cable connector that was there and then soldered in a right angled 34 pin IDC male connector and made a male to male 34 pin flat ribbon cable to length. Just need to remember where pin 1 is when setting the cable up to the HxC. A little bit of work, but it works nicely. I still have not repositioned the LCD for exterior view. Taking a Dremel to my case is makes me a bit nervous.

gallery_16380_756_109168.jpg

I have lifted the built in floppy cable off the board. Then replaced it with a longer cable.

I was very careful when removing it. When I installed the new cable a used a small plastic hammer to gently tap the new cable on to the connector.

The hammer is one of tools we use in my trade, when you need to "adjust" something but do not want to harm or mark it.