IGNORED

Well, throw me onto the Wii U bandwagon.

Nall3k

I just pre-ordered Aliens: Colonial Marines for Wii U. I plan on buying the deluxe set when I go to pick it up whenever it's released. Here's the irony of all this, I decided on Wii U because I wanted to get back into a lot of the games Nintendo has (Star Fox, Mario, Zelda). For the last decade, it's been nothing but Halo, COD, Gears, Resistance, Uncharted, etc... Wii U kind of reminds me of the SNES in some ways. Plus, I tried out the Rayman demo for Wii U and it was pretty fun, so I think this will be a good investment.

I had no intention of buying a Wii U (or new consoles from Sony/MS) but the wife-unit surprised me on Christmas morning with the Deluxe Set.

I've had a lot of fun with several launch titles and am really looking forward to such games as Aliens, Lego City, Windwaker, Bayonetta 2, Monster Hunter, Virtual Console titles, and other upcoming releases. I find MiiVerse to be a BLAST and am amazed at the artwork that is created. I haven't used TVii very much but will give it a good workout tomorrow on Super Bowl sunday.

Overall, I'm impressed with the Wii U (much more than I expected to be) and am looking forward to future game releases and new system features.

Welcome aboard. I'm looking to get Rayman and Aliens upon release as well. I got all 3 systems last generation but I think this one will just be the Wii U for me. Or at least for now for the forseeable future. Pretty pumped to see what Nintendo has instore for the wii u.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I picked one up a few weeks ago (deluxe unit) and I'm liking it for the most part. I need more games, but for right now the gamepad is getting a lot of use for video streaming (Stargates SG-1 via Amazon FTW) and, surprisingly enough to me, for web browsing (posting this from the gamepad right now).

So far I have the Basic Set with NSMBU. It looks great and is a well designed game. My only gripe is that you can't do (regular) multiplayer with the gamepad and wiimote together. When I can pony up the cash for some more storage space (probably a flash drive) I'll download Trine 2. Like everyone else, I am really looking forward to the exclusives and I hope that there is a heavy emphasis on platformers.

• 1 month later...

Ya know what sucks 3h download nintendolamd 30min to install software than 40min to update software.. like put the cart in turn on and play.. this new shit has nothing on the 2600.. Its boring me to death!! And the other two brands are the same.. You cant play most ps3 games without waiting for fn hours for updates... what the hell have these geeks done? Is watching the loading status bar give these guys a woody or did they not think that people would ever want to enjoy their systems not be a fn IT guy for nintendo... to this minute i have done nothing with my wii u cept use the screen as a fancy tv remote.. 12more mintes it should work now... Been from 3pm till now 7:30pm..

• Like 1

I purchased a Wii U (32gb black) the day it was released. I looooove game consoles and must have one of everything when released.

It came with Nintendo Land, which flat out sux. Sorry, but Im not into kiddy carnival type games. This was ok as I knew it would suck before buying it - I just wanted the console.

So after buying the console I thought I shoould buy a game for it. However I soon found there was NOTHING I would play out for it. Okiez, its a new console so you cannot expect it to have a comprehensive library, but should it not have at least a couple of so called "killer apps"?

Zombie U was almost universally panned (and with good reason I might add - I played it in store for about 15 minutes and that was more than enough), and not much else was available (you can cram Epic Mickey and all that crap where the sun dont shine).

Eventually I purchased Black Ops 2 as I read reviews saying it was ALMOST as good as the versions running on the 7 year old Xbox360 and 6 year old PS3... Now I understand it takes time to learn the ways to harness the full capabilities of new hardware, usually the 2nd generation of games is a big improvement over the first, and by the 3rd generation you are getting a good indication of the power of the hardware. But I must say I was surprised that a new comsole could not even replicate the performance of 7 year old hardware. This is crazy.... or plain lazy on the programmers part.

Anywho, not even this bothered me much as I didnt buy the Wii U for "ultra next gen gaming"... but that abortion of a controller is a joke! Not only is it ugly, a finger print magnet and a power whore, but it is a stupid annoying gimmick.

I shortly there after purchased a so called "pro controller" (yeah, this is like Nintendo saying if you are a pro, or take your gaming seriously, please feel free to ditch our tablet joke/novelty/gimmick and buy a real controller) which feels quite nice... but I have yet to find a decent game on the Nintendo Wii U/Doorstop to use it on!

If anyone knows of a SINGLE decent game being released on this neglected dog of a console please let me know.

Im presently playing Bioshock Infinite on the PS3 and Dishonored on the 360 and loving them both, why could not either of these be released on the Wii U.... and support the pro controller so you can gently place that stupid tablet controller in the bin where it belongs?

Sorry for the rant, but the Wii U is easily the worst console I have ever purchased from new.

• Like 1

@abraXXious: you do have some valid complaints to be sure, as do I. However, I do think that your overall view is very globalized. The Wii U doesn't totally suck.

First off, the controls are fine. And the Pro controller is excellent (it should have been a pack-in- that's my personal complaint). First party games are wayyyy few and far in between, and that sucks. But some of the ports have additional content that makes it worth it. Need For Speed includes all of the DLC right on the disc. As for 1st party titles? Agreed; they need more, now. But NSMBU is really, really good. It's nothing revolutionary, but it's great fun and the graphics are gorgeous.

Time will tell, and Nintendo may take an ass whopping, but good first party games are coming, I promise you that. Don't get rid of your Wii U, save it for 2014. :)

Edit: for the record, I feel the frustration too. But hang in there!

Edited by toptenmaterial

@abraXXious: you do have some valid complaints to be sure, as do I. However, I do think that your overall view is very globalized. The Wii U doesn't totally suck.

First off, the controls are fine. And the Pro controller is excellent (it should have been a pack-in- that's my personal complaint). First party games are wayyyy few and far in between, and that sucks. But some of the ports have additional content that makes it worth it. Need For Speed includes all of the DLC right on the disc. As for 1st party titles? Agreed; they need more, now. But NSMBU is really, really good. It's nothing revolutionary, but it's great fun and the graphics are gorgeous.

Time will tell, and Nintendo may take an ass whopping, but good first party games are coming, I promise you that. Don't get rid of your Wii U, save it for 2014. :)

Edit: for the record, I feel the frustration too. But hang in there!

Yeah, I'd be much happier if I knew that all new games would have an option to ditch the tablet crap and use the pro controller exclusively. That and a few good FPSs and all would be better - I cant stand Nintendo games. :)

Perhaps they will get the hint like MS did with the Kinnect (does ANYONE use this POS?) and Sony did with Move (or this POS?).

God knows why they (bloody Nintendo mainly) feel the need to invent some stupid gimmick instead of simply making better games... :( What next? A controller that farts and you have to sniff out the onscreen culprit? Dont laugh - at this rate this will be next...

if motion controls aren't for you, they aren't for you.

a lot of others do use and enjoy them. it's the reason I got the Wii. it's the reason I got the Kinect. both still in use and both still fun.

Unfortunately, from all the feedback, sales and reviews, they are not for many people at all - mainly casual gamers, the elderly and kids - I, like many others, do not fit into those categories.

Less games are being released that use Move and Kinnect than before because the majority of people do not seem to like that cumbersome system of "control" (and I use the term lightly). When was the last time you saw a PS3 game that actually used the Dualshock tilt controls? I had even forgotten they existed until I played an old game - obviously software producers wised up that most gamers dont like that rubbish.

An average controller has 10 or more buttons, 2 analogue sticks and a digital pad these days - how do you replicate that by waving your arms about like a dickhead? :)

I would LOVE to see a youtube video of some freak trying to play an FPS using Kinnect. That would be the ultimate crack up. :)

Edited by abraXXious
  • Like 1

I cant stand Nintendo games.

I'm at a loss why anyone that hates Nintendo games would buy a Nintendo videogame console. After the Super Nintendo era ended, Nintendo platforms have never been the place to be if you liked mainstream 3rd party releases like first person shooters.

Beyond two or three years of the GameCube's life when it was regularly recieving quite a few multiplatform releases, it has barely even been an afterthought for many publishers over the better part of two decades now.

Nyko PerfectShot + Wiimote was god tier. I would be perfectly happy playing rail shooters the rest of my life if they were as fun as some of the ones on the Wii were.

I agree with the above though. The House of Nintendo has always been about first party titles imo. Everything else that is even decent is just a bonus.

I'm at a loss why anyone that hates Nintendo games would buy a Nintendo videogame console. After the Super Nintendo era ended, Nintendo platforms have never been the place to be if you liked mainstream 3rd party releases like first person shooters.

Beyond two or three years of the GameCube's life when it was regularly recieving quite a few multiplatform releases, it has barely even been an afterthought for many publishers over the better part of two decades now.

Summed up in my first post - I collect ALL consoles. :) Make no mistake, I knew there would be a lot less games I would like on the Wii U compared to say the 360 or PS3, but the way I Looked at it was, the machine is new, has a more powerful GPU and 4 times the ram - surely some good FPS's and RPG's would be available on it so it would get some form of use.

Im sure it will - eventually, no console can have NO decent games (even the Jaguar had Tempest 2000). I just find it odd that so few games are being released on it. Its as if publishers are deliberately ignoring it. Why didnt Bioshock Infinite, Dishonored, DMC etc get released on it?

Odd.

Edited by abraXXious

Because it has a small install base and Nintendo's past history over the past 6 and a half years provides a even larger hurdle since such efforts typically don't perform well in the sales department. And the console's sales performance since launch is just sealing the deal for many.

And with a new tier of computer horsepower on the way, I don't expect it to get much better. Nintendo's best hope of healthy 3rd party support was going to be if the Wii U was a massive success out of the gate while the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 were major forces on the marketplace with similar levels of capabilities. An established and successful Wii U where 3rd parties are succeeding with mainstream releases just might've given publishers a reason to go out of their way to support this platform throughout this generation even after the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 fall by the wayside.

Barring a quick turnaround in the fortunes of the platform, I don't see much to look forward to for those uninterested in traditional Nintendo fare (Which is thankfully going to be more than enough to keep me happy). Besides some quickly ported projects from the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 while they enjoy several more years of quality 3rd party support, I can't imagine much of significance being done. The Wii U is all but irrelevant already and I can't imagine many 3rd parties taking a big chance and bothering to port and downgrade their Xbox 720 and Playstation 4 projects two or three years down the road when the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 start to be set aside.

The Wii U needed to hit a home run right out of the gate if it was going to reverse what the Wii went through in terms of 3rd party support and be able to go up against much more capable competitors with next generation technical capabilities. Nintendo needs to wake up and stop handicapping themselves so at least the hardware is fully up to the task. 100 million Wii's notwithstanding, the Wii and their belief that technical specifcations are unimportant clearly showed many flaws. And this time they don't have a gimmick that will somewhat mask their underpowered hardware with lots of casual sales.

Edited by Atariboy

I agree most of what you say, however the Wii was a big seller in spite of the poor 3rd party support.... what is the difference with the Wii U?

The Wii was a gimmicky console which gamers avoided but market demographics not usually interested in console gaming took to in droves.

The Wii U, well, is the same, so why arent those same casual/non hardcore gamers taking to it?

Weird.

The Wii sold a lot of consoles largely on the strength of a motion controller and a single game. For many of their customers, the console was barely utilized and little to no additional software was purchased. So about the only thing they really won was unit sales of consoles. And when all is said and done, the 360 and PS3 are going to be competitive with that statistic since they're both right around the 80 million mark and will continue to grow well for several more years while Nintendo has been stuck at the 98/99 million level for the Wii for a long time now and is only inching forward during Christmas. I suppose both could even possibly overtake the Wii.

The Wii's attach rate was lower than the competition and it started to die years before the competition despite releasing almost simultaneously with one and a year later than than the other (Which was still growing and making lots of money while the newer Wii was taking a nosedive and Nintendo was experiencing their first losses). And what games that were sold were largely Nintendo published releases (Which dominated the sales charts), casual fare, and shovelware.

The quality 3rd party releases that represent most of the time and money invested by Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 gamers largely were absent. And the few such risks that were made by 3rd parties usually performed poorly on the sales charts.

Now that everyone does motion, that hook is unimportant and doesn't differentiate them from the competition. And Nintendo didn't have another gimmick to sell consoles to nongamers like motion was back in 2006. So they really needed to be courting the typical console gamer with the Wii U (A customer that will buy many games throughout the life of their console where the real money is to be had unlike say my Aunt that never bought anything else for her Wii and just played Wii Sports and will likely never purchase another videogame console again).

But so far they've failed to do that. The Wii U looks set to play a very small role in the upcoming generation by just providing traditional Nintendo games to Nintendo's traditional customer base. I'm fine with it since I fall into that category and I'll be perfectly happy with games like upcoming Zelda releases. But as you're evidence of, many don't fall into that category.

Edited by Atariboy