IGNORED

7800 PAL ROBOTRON development

Blue Azure

Maybe you've been tracking the progress of disassembling in the ROBOTRON X thread in the main user's group. The BIG question is do we have what we need to develop the PAL version of the NTSC ROBOTRON? I know nothing about the PAL v. NTSC requirements on the 7800. So I need help on this one. As we know this is the only original 7800 title not ported to PAL. This would be HUGE if we could do this...

The latest ROBOTRON disassembly...

RobotronDisassy2013.rtf

Thanks, BLUEman

The most important thing will probably be adding some blank lines to the top and bottom. I don't remember and have access to the required number for ntsc and pal at the moment. Essentially u need to add some display list list entries the point to an empty display list entry (0,0).

I am guessing more than likely maria is executing things at the end of the current list which can lead to garbage and wasting some clock time or even cause dli execution.

Beyomd that the game may need some speed tweaks and possibly color adjustments.

Thanks Ken for your response. True, there's more lines in PAL vs. NTSC and I forget the specs as well. All you say makes sense to me. It's not something that can be done in an hour, obviously, and maybe not even in a day. It's way beyond my 7800 knowledge at the moment. There has been some discussion about "PAL" before. Here's one thread, but there's more elsewhere I'm sure...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/166451-pal-frame-timing/page__hl__+pal%20+lines#entry2057088

• 2 weeks later...

from Eckhard Stolberg:

In MARIA mode the palettes of the NTSC 7800 and the PAL 7800 seem to be pretty much the same. The only difference is that PAL TVs don't have a tint control, and that the red-green balance (that's what 'tint' controls, right?) is fixed a bit on the greener side.

I tried Atari's palette test program on my NTSC 7800 connected to a multi-standard TV. When I shift the tint slider so much toward the 'green' side that the turquises move down one row, then I get about the same palette as when I use Atari's palette test program on my PAL 7800 connected to the same TV.

from Eric Ball

There may be a slight difference in the CPU timing between PAL & NTSC, but there are the same number of cycles per line. The bigger difference is the frame refresh (50Hz vs 60Hz) and the number of lines per frame (312 vs 262) which means you have 50 more visible lines and need additional DLL entries. (Which is typically why NTSC games crash on PAL 7800s, due to a mis-triggered DLI, or show garbage at the bottom of the screen.)

It's possible for a game to detect whether it is running on an NTSC or PAL system and adapt as required. The additional lines can either be blank or used to expand the play area.

• Like 1

More specfic on what Eckhard wrote about (Thanks for the link Eric!)...

NTSC 7800 Color Chart:

$0 GREY

$1 GOLD

$2 ORANGE

$3 RED_ORANGE

$4 PINK

$5 PURPLE

$6 PURPLE_BLUE

$7 BLUE1

$8 BLUE2

$9 LIGHT_BLUE

$A TURQUOISE

$B GREEN_BLUE

$C GREEN

$D YELLOW_GREEN

$E ORANGE_GREEN

$F LIGHT_ORANGE

PAL 7800 Color Chart (referencing the NTSC rows):

$0 GREY

$E ORANGE_GREEN

$1 GOLD

$2 ORANGE

$3 RED_ORANGE

$4 PINK

$5 PURPLE

$6 PURPLE_BLUE

$7 BLUE1

$8 BLUE2

$9 LIGHT_BLUE

$A TURQUOISE

$B GREEN_BLUE

$C GREEN

$D YELLOW_GREEN

$E ORANGE_GREEN

PAL throws NTSC $E all the way to the top. NTSC $F does not exist under PAL.

You will need to adjust the speed tables by 5/6 to account for the different frame rate. Table values are in "frames between moves". The values are fairly small so there will be rounding errors but the speeds should match within about 5%. Here are my calcs for the hulks.

post-24519-0-79490100-1361390217_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

More specfic on what Eckhard wrote about (Thanks for the link Eric!)...

PAL throws NTSC $E all the way to the top. NTSC $F does not exist under PAL.

Note: the 7800 (and probably the other Atari 8 bits) have a trim resistor which affects the color. Color is via a delay line tap and the resistor changes the delay and thus the color. So some of the differences may be due to how the trim resistor is set.

• 9 months later...