IGNORED

I want to play Chaos Engine on an emulator....

oky2000

But I want to play the STE version on an emulator so which version of STEEM, if any, do I need to run this STE enhanced game?

Ages ago I was playing a really good game on another system, it's not the best game in the world or probably best horizontal scroller but there were so many little details like your metallic spaceship glowing slightly yellow if you got close to the flames etc that you kind of like it.

So I was playing Chaos Engine on Amiga the other day and I noticed loads of things I never did before, like the flash of the gun fire causing highlights on the player's character in almost any position and on the ground too. But then I thought 'did they do this for the ST, I never played it' and indeed they did. So youtube fires up an intro with sampled music like the Amiga tunes and now I am intrigued. Turns out it detects the STE and so is a good game to try on my trusty 520STE I have one day. Any way even the STFM version is very impressive, and it changed my mind about the Amiga version being the one to focus on.

Until I play it on a real ST though I'd like to run it in STE mode on STEEM and record some videos comparing the two different versions that can be played depending on what type of ST you own. Also be fun to ramp things up to 16mhz until I can afford an Atari Mega STE to do it for real :D

The only "enhancement" that Chaos Engine has on the STe is using a slightly improved color pallette. Other than that it's not much different than running it on a plain ST. In other words, no DMA audio samples. Yeah, that's real cheap... :(

To answer your question, you use TOS 2.06 to run Steem in STe mode. TOS 1.4 or lower is regular ST, and sadly 1.62 does not work for Steem but does for Hatari. Hope this helps...

Actually, Chaos Engine uses STE HW scrolling too. It is obviously better than on ST:

And TOS 1.62 works perfectly in Steem. Furthermore, Steem always run in STE mode, regardless from used TOS v.

I never could get Stardust to run on STEEM, which is an STE only game. I notice there are newer unofficial versions now like the Steven Seagal Edition :)