IGNORED

Atari 5200 vs Atari XEGS

Master Phruby

I currently have an Atari XEGS and I'm considering picking up a 5200 to complete my Atari console collection. Since these systems play for the most part the same games but in different cartridge format is it worth picking up a 5200 and getting some referbed joysticks to play the same games that I already have on the XEGS? I do have a number of 5200 carts in my collection.

There's just something unique about the 5200 that I love, even among games that should be the same. 5200 Pac Man is the best home version, imho. Missile Command benefits from the analog controller. There are, of course, some unique titles like Space Dungeon and the homebrews. Only you can determine if it's worth it to you, but I have both a 5200 and XEGS, and I'm happy to have each one. I play the 5200 a lot more, for whatever that's worth.

I own those systems also, but as much as I like the 5200, I'd say that it's probably not worth it to get both. Most 5200 exclusives have long since been ported over to the 8-bit computers, so unless you're really passionate about those few games which would work better with the 5200's analog controls, I think you'd be better off collecting the 5200 ports and enjoying them on your XEGS.

I own those systems also, but as much as I like the 5200, I'd say that it's probably not worth it to get both. Most 5200 exclusives have long since been ported over to the 8-bit computers, so unless you're really passionate about those few games which would work better with the 5200's analog controls, I think you'd be better off collecting the 5200 ports and enjoying them on your XEGS.

I'm a big fan of the 5200, but I agree. It's a great system with some great ports that really do need to be played with the 5200 controllers and/or the 5200 trak-ball to get the full effect. But it's also a system that will require some time and money to get it working just right (controller issues, mostly). So, like jaybird3rd said, unless you're particularly enamored of the games that are better on the 5200 than on the A8, I'd just stick with the A8. At least until you have some time and money you want to invest in getting the marginal benefit of the 5200.

I've had Atari 8-bit computers since the 80's and for a long, long time didn't feel any need for the 5200. And really, an Atari computer owner doesn't need a 5200. But since getting my 5200 at a yard sale, I've really fallen in love with the console. Here's some reasons why you might consider a 5200, even though you have the XEGS.

1. 5200 carts tend to be cheaper now than 8-bit carts. Take a look at the 5200 library... if there's lots of games there you don't yet have for your XEGS, a 5200 might be worth it to acquire those games at lower prices.

2. Aesthetics... there's just something about the 5200 and it's carts that I just find much more attractive that the computer hardware.

3. Simplicity - No fussing with SIO2PC cables, ATR files, or temperamental disks and drives. It's all just plug and play carts here.

3. Controls... yes, generally the 8-bit machines win on this point. But for the handful of games that use analog control and/or both fire buttons, the 5200 does offer a bit of an improvement. And it is possible (if pricy) to get third party controllers that will make the rest of the library work as well as the 8-bit equivalents.

4. Collectibility. The 5200 really shines here if you're like me, and love the idea of being able to complete a collection. With just 69 original titles, and less than 20 homebrew games, it's quite feasible to 'collect them all!" There's really just one Holy Grail title for the 5200, and even it (Bounty Bob Strikes Back) is relatively affordable (at about $300) compared to the Grails on most other consoles.

5. Exclusives. Ok, there really aren't any for an Atari computer owner willing to find the converted binaries and a way to load them up. (Well, OK, Tempest soon will be.) But if you want original carts, you've got some great exclusives... Berzerk, Kangaroo, Gremlins, Countermeasure, and my personal favorite 5200 game, Space Dungeon. Also, the port of Centipede is a nice improvement over the computer version.

The 8-bit machines are great, and they have a lot to offer that the 5200 cannot. Yet, I've barely touched my 800XL in recent years... the 5200 has become my go-to retro gaming system!

• Like 3

XEGS is a cool computer. The 5200 is worth getting just for the software that takes proper advantage of the analog controls.

That and the awesomely huge trak-ball controller make it worth owning right along side your Xegs.

And as mentioned above, the new Tempest is worth getting a system for by itself. It is a jewel for the system and for anyone who loves playing Atari.

• Like 2

If you're extremely hardcore, then YES! If you have 15 other systems and your time is divided by all of them already, there's not that much difference to explore, and you're probably going to have to spend some money to get a nice system and like-new working controllers. Opinions vary. If money's not an object, then why wait? Buy a nice 5200 now, and get some of Best Electronics' rebuilt controllers with the best upgrades, and don't look back. If you're on a budget, play your A8, and search AtariAge for "5200 conversions" and you'll find you can get most of the games. I haven't ruled out a 5200, but already having an A8, I think it would be silly to get one now, when there are so many markedly-different consoles to collect first, and A8 plays the best (and by far most numerous) games on essentially the same hardware.

5200 Pac Man is the best home version, imho

Agreed.

Also, Centipede and Missile Command with track ball are amazing.

Space Dungeon with controller coupler is my favorite game on the 5200 platform, and you can't get it on 800/XE.

With a PC controller adapter and Ultra Racer controller, Kaboom, Megemania, and Super Breakout are awesome in rotary analog splendor.

That's a tough call. I like my Atari 5200, but it's bulky and the joysticks are a nightmare... you'll upgrade to Wico Command Controls almost immediately after you get one. Having said that, I think there were a couple of games that were different on the 400/800 despite the almost identical hardware. I believe Centipede and Qix were rewritten for the 5200 if memory serves.

Well, at least not without a disk drive or SIO2PC. And the dual CX40 holder from Robotron helps.

8-bit Space Dungeon

OMG - I didn't realize there were 8-bit conversions. Realsports Baseball too! I may never pull the 5200 out of the closet again. These work great with SIO2PC. Adam242, you are my hero.

I've been an Atari person since 1978 -- can I just say this out loud with honesty? Those 5200 controllers are just awful. There I said it. Sorry. Floppy fish joystick, mushy buttons that give me thumb cramps, and that fear that every time you touch them, they could break. Let me say something nice about the 5200: it looks cool, the games are pretty inexpensive, I love the Atari logo opening screen. Baseball, Centipede, and Space Dungeon are awesome. I would like the 5200 a lot more if there were better controllers available for a reasonable price.

Adam242, you are my hero.

Well, Glenn is the hero here.

I may never pull the 5200 out of the closet again.

I hope that's not true! I was simply pointing out that the conversions are out there for the 8-bits. Other than Adventure II and Tempest, I don't think there are any titles that are truly 5200-exclusive anymore. That said, the 5200 is a fine machine, I enjoy mine. The few games that take advantage of the multi-button analog controllers are a joy and do offer a unique gaming experience. But for someone who is already happy with an A8, especially the most console-like XEGS, a 5200 would be largely redundant.

• Like 1

Well, Glenn is the hero here.

Yup! He sure is. Now, WHO is this Glenn? After seeing his "Glenn the 5200 man" on my Atari screen for so many decades, I can't help but wonder who he is, and whatever happened to him. Perhaps he's on AtariAge!

Wherever you are, 5200 man, THANK YOU!

Yup! He sure is. Now, WHO is this Glenn? After seeing his "Glenn the 5200 man" on my Atari screen for so many decades, I can't help but wonder who he is, and whatever happened to him. Perhaps he's on AtariAge!

Yes, THANK YOU!

It'd be nice to know who Glenn the 5200 Man was, after all these years.

It is logical to conclude that there is somebody who hangs at AA who has to know who "Glenn" was ... c'mon. How big a secret could it be? Somebody had to know the guy. But he probably wants privacy. Or maybe he isn't alive anymore. I have assumed that the name "Glenn" doesn't seem like a name somebody would choose as an Avatar - so either his first or last name probably was that. I've googled around in the past and found both first- and last-name Glenn's associated with the Atari scene but that didn't reveal anything.

Concerning XE vs 5200 - I have always loved the 5200 for nostalgic reasons *and* the experience of playing games on it, but lately as my controllers and hardware keep failing on me again and again, I'm growing tired of it. So - as long as your controllers work and are refurbed properly, the 5200 is lots of fun - namely the usually mentioned exclusives like analog-controlled Missile Command, Centipede, new 5200-Tempest, plus the all-controls-in-your-hand experiences of many 2-button+ games like Star Raiders, Rescue on Fractalus, and others.

• Like 1

I've found that playing the "same old games" with the different controls of the 5200 gives them that "new" feel again. I probably use my 5200 more than any other gaming system currently. Being handy with adjustments and some repairs is a definite plus though.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

BUMP!

Here's your answer:

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-90-glenn-the-5200-man

:)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The 1050 disk drive really adds a lot to the XEGS's library...and so many great 8 bit titles. I've been on a 8bit kick latley so i'm biased, at the same time I really enjoy my AV modded 5200 with the BEST joysticks, or masterplay with Wico..

Tough call, they are both great. If I had to have just ONE.....I might lean towards 8 bit these days just because of the bigger library. Luckily I can have both! :)

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Star Raiders. The XEGS w/Keyboard is a better interface for Star Raiders, even though the 5200 has the game "fixes."

The 5200 version of star raiders has dual axis proportional steering. This alone makes it better than the XL/XE(GS) version, in my oppinion. However, the 5200 is also more challenging in that the minimum difficulty levels are actually higher on the 5200 version. You can pretty much walk through a "novice" mission on the XL/XE(GS) version half asleep and stoned and still win. This is not the case to nearly the same degree on the 5200 version.

I agree that once you know the keys, a real keyboard is more convenient especially when changing settings (such as speed) in the heat of battle.. I have often pondered building a special "5200 Star Raiders Control Console" to remedy this. Use a CH products FlightStick with the POTs swapped for flight control, and then build a control panel that has all of the various feature buttons arranged in a way that makes sense.