IGNORED

Eat Dem Bananaz

atari2600land

What I basically did was stayed up all night and programmed this. As a result, the game now has lemons to avoid, and the bird is back in the water thanks to the code that makes the background score color different than the regular background. The bytes really piled on fast, now I only have 4 bytes left! Tell me what you think if you decide to download it.

eat7.bas.bin

eat7.bas

Do you have a special includes file you're using? The bas shows as -287 bytes left to me. I'm guessing you cut something out, though.

EDIT: The bin works well for me. I think that you did a great job setting all this up! It feels pretty great to play and I can already see how addicting it could be!

Nice job, atari2600land. I just played for a while and my best score was 143. I understand it's a 2k game and you may not have space left, but I'd love a "if switchleftb then COLUBK=0 else COLUBK=<your green color>" to replace wherever you already call COLUBK. That way I could play with a black background, the green kind of hurts my eyes. ;) I think the difficulty is just about perfect, the bannanas fall fast enough to be challenging (after they've sped up) but not too fast to be impossible. It's a good balance. It may have been mentioned before, and I'm sorry for being too lazy to go back and read the old posts right now, but a great addition would be a second sprite of something that you can't catch that causes a loss of a life. Just a suggestion, for a 2k game it's pretty good as is.

Nice job, atari2600land. I just played for a while and my best score was 143. I understand it's a 2k game and you may not have space left, but I'd love a "if switchleftb then COLUBK=0 else COLUBK=<your green color>" to replace wherever you already call COLUBK. That way I could play with a black background, the green kind of hurts my eyes. ;)

Thanks for the compliments. As for the black background, your wish is my command.

eat8.bas.bin

eat8.bas

Thanks for the compliments. As for the black background, your wish is my command.

Fantastic! I love the changes you made. Having to avoid items makes it much more fun. I just threw it on my harmony cart and it plays great on real hardware. My best score was 693. My only other suggestion would be to make the play area a little bit wider, but it works fine as is.

post-2143-0-87430400-1362184513_thumb.jpg

So, atari2600land, since you're the developer I think everyone wants to see a screenshot of your high score. :)

The highest score I got was over 300, but I didn't take a picture of it. Of course, I haven't played it that long, I have been getting furious trying to get the level changes to work, so under 100 and then starting over has been the bulk of my playing.

The highest score I got was over 300, but I didn't take a picture of it. Of course, I haven't played it that long, I have been getting furious trying to get the level changes to work, so under 100 and then starting over has been the bulk of my playing.

I understand. When I'm making a game, I spend most of my time looking for bugs and testing gameplay and very little time actually playing for a long time for a high score. You now have a challenge, 693 is the number to beat :). I'm sure it's beatable, I only played for about 15 min and that was my best score.

In your source, after reset, if you can, put all the =0 on one line separated by : of course, all the =81 on one line, and all the =84 on one line. You'll get a smaller compiled program and more free bytes.

Notice I said if you can, I don't know if that lowest = 0 has to come after all those other = 0's ?

I am a big fan of Kaboom!, so this game has me interested. I think the play area is fine and that it does not need to be wider. If this were a game that used the paddle controllers then yes. But since it uses the joystick (Yay - I don't have to unplug the joystick and plug in the paddle controllers ) then I think it is perfect and challenging. Just playing it this morning for about a half hour, my best score is 294. Maybe I will do better after I have some coffee.... :.)

I was thinking of an option that you could put in as a handicap for younger players / children / toddlers: make the bird a little wider

a "if switchrightb then" .... actually I am not sure how you would program it...

I'd love to let my son try this game but i wonder if it would be too challenging...

If the bird was a little wider, he may be able to eat more

Just a suggestion...

keep up the great work!

Tim

Edited by timdu

E A T

..that is all.

Ha! It's atari2600land's choice, of course, but I think it may look better without the huge "EAT" on the bottom right of the screen. I'm guessing he did that because the pfheights option he chose makes it possible to put some text on the screen. :) It'd probably look better with just straight lines on each side of the screen rather than the text to make it symmetrical. Just my opinion, though.

EDIT: Or maybe a "GO" on the left side and add an exclamation point on the right side, "EAT!" :D

I wasn't actually saying anything meaningful. I just think the non sequitur is awesome. Those who don't read atari2600lands comics don't realise he has an a great sense of humor. :)

My bad, I interpreted your post differently. ;) I don't frequently visit his online comic but I've read it before. Yep, he's a funny guy. :)