IGNORED

L@@K **SUPER** ULTRA RARE! : Special Ed Gorf CD on Ebay

LinkoVitch

Don´t want to speak for Matthias here but from the numbers he told us it is well below 150 sold copies, it may just be the size of the Jag market these days. The more irritating thing is that there are only a couple of Highscore entries ( if you delete the double ones). That lead me to the conclusion people are really not that much into playing the games, its more about the collecting, which is fine really, but doesn´t look to good for "bigger" projects. Why should someone spend a lot of time in gameplay/gfx etc when in the end it goes straight to the trophy board of other jag games.

i would be interested to know what people think the size of the jaguar market actually is... i never thought that a jaguar game would sell more than 150 (small project) - 300 (more ambitious project) in the short run and might reach 500 or so if you extend the time horizon. personally i think that devs will probably be spending more time making the games than fans will spend playing them, especially for quality releases.

i would be interested to know what people think the size of the jaguar market actually is... i never thought that a jaguar game would sell more than 150 (small project) - 300 (more ambitious project) in the short run and might reach 500 or so if you extend the time horizon. personally i think that devs will probably be spending more time making the games than fans will spend playing them, especially for quality releases.

Think the jag scene has 350 active people tops. Hopefully this will expand as more people become aware there's life in the old dog yet?

350 might only be close if you take into account all the atari sceners who have a very vague passing interest in _anything_ atari or weird and retro, or maybe members of AA who normally frequent the other foums and might be convinced to take a look at Jaguar stuff once every few months if something big like Another World happens.

500 is not a number anyone is going to hit without smashing the current cart pricing coupled with producing a game that forces people to buy a jaguar in order to play. There are a couple of people would have good insight into the real numbers, people like Songbird who have been there offering cart games for years and years and are still going strong, but I'm not going to ask Carl how many copies of any of his games he has sold, that's his business only ;-)

• Like 2

yea on the 500 number i was meaning a time horizon of maybe 5-10 years which would factor in people who come and go (i.e. the turnover in the community) and not necessarily a figure that is restricted to interested buyers only at one specific point in time. i think it's agreed that the game would have to stand out though.

not exactly reassuring to anyone who expects a big applause for releasing something that they spent alot of time on to make a game good enough to hit that target.

Edited by Willard

Well, obviously for big releases like Another World the demand is more than 200, collectors and gamers alike, and those like me who are a bit of both. But AW is an epic game with revamped graphics compared to Impulse X, which is just another Arknoid clone and though good graphics, is a simple arcade style game, AW isn't a clone, it's the real thing and a classic game. It doesn't suprise me that Impulse X has sold less.

But I think that even some will come and go in the Jag scene over the years, ultimately all these communities are on a downword spiral as the members age and die and less and less of the younger generations take an interest in vintage systems. The "AtariAge" communities will die off in the decades to come. 5-10 years from now the Jag community may be in danger of extinction, we don't have the numbers of the 2600 community to slowly dwindle. Granted the average age might be younger than 2600 fans, but are a fraction of the population to start with.

I plan on being a fan as long as I can, but if I don't die before I get to retirement, I may have disabilities or dimensia or something that end it for me. It is hard to imagine myself at 70 still playing Atari games, but that's becuase it's hard to imagine being that age at all, if my interest has lasted to my current age of 44, I'll probably still be interested at 54 and 64 too...

Edited by Gunstar

yea on the 500 number i was meaning a time horizon of maybe 5-10 years which would factor in people who come and go (i.e. the turnover in the community) and not necessarily a figure that is restricted to interested buyers only at one specific point in time. i think it's agreed that the game would have to stand out though.

Yeah that makes sense, if you look back 5 or more years at the people who used to post regularly in the jaguar forums and at js2, there a lot of different names,

As long as there are games and they are easily accessible there will be at least some people wanting to take a look. See RGCD's C64 stuff, that machine is 10 years or so older than the Jaguar yet they sell over 200 of some cart titles and have their own big licenses such as C64anabalt, people are still interested 30 years on, people who weren't even born when the machine was on shelves are active in the scene and collect for it.

not exactly reassuring to anyone who expects a big applause for releasing something that they spent alot of time on to make a game good enough to hit that target.

Making games in hope of huge applause or reach a sales target, not sure the Jaguar is really the platform for that kind of stuff, it's more something to be involved in just for the fun of it. Most people make games wanting them to be played or simply for the act of doing it. If people want their Jaguar game to be played by more than a few hundred people the only real way is to give them away and make playing them in an emulator as easy as possible. Both the way things work on other platforms and the huge download numbers for our games suggests this works and can only help more people get interested in the homebrew side of things. Also, think of the 200 people signed up for Another World - I wonder how many of those cart won't even come out of the box? It's hard to say, but it's likely some won't.

• Like 4

Well Gorf has sold and is off on it's travels, maybe it will send me a postcard :) Thanks to all who bid.

Seems this thread has gone on a bit of a subject wander :) From my perspective (as someone who has produced something for the Jag scene).. I mostly look for the praise of my peers, the feedback from the U235 SE is beyond what I had hopped! seeing it pop up in other peoples releases is an amazing feeling! Getting feature requests and bug reports from people using or wanting to use the engine is amazing and helps push it's developement onwards. It's not had a released update since 0.19, but it hasn't been completely still, 0.20 is progressing, bugs have been fixed, new featured added.. a few more key changes and there will be another release.

For me this is all I need to keep me happy. Of course at some point I will release a game, ideally drawing on the skills of others to help get it polished and out the door. That I will mostly want to see being played, getting cash from it would be cool, but it's never going to be enough to replace the day job.

It certainly is great to see this community starting to bud, compared to the 'good ole days' of just waffle and nothingness.

• Like 6

Well, obviously for big releases like Another World the demand is more than 200, collectors and gamers alike, and those like me who are a bit of both. But AW is an epic game with revamped graphics compared to Impulse X, which is just another Arknoid clone and though good graphics, is a simple arcade style game, AW isn't a clone, it's the real thing and a classic game. It doesn't suprise me that Impulse X has sold less.

I was just thinking that to that though Impulse X may have sold less than 150 the demand for AW was higher at 200+. I was going to buy a copy and did not get a chance.

I plan on being a fan as long as I can, but if I don't die before I get to retirement, I may have disabilities or dimensia or something that end it for me. It is hard to imagine myself at 70 still playing Atari games, but that's becuase it's hard to imagine being that age at all, if my interest has lasted to my current age of 44, I'll probably still be interested at 54 and 64 too...

I hate to rain on your parade and all but you already have dementia. :P

along with the rest of us... :grin:

Don´t want to speak for Matthias here but from the numbers he told us it is well below 150 sold copies, it may just be the size of the Jag market these days. The more irritating thing is that there are only a couple of Highscore entries ( if you delete the double ones). That lead me to the conclusion people are really not that much into playing the games, its more about the collecting, which is fine really, but doesn´t look to good for "bigger" projects. Why should someone spend a lot of time in gameplay/gfx etc when in the end it goes straight to the trophy board of other jag games.

Hey mine just arrived at my house and is waiting for me when I get back so I'll be hopping on that webspace too.. and then You grubby ass bitches are goin' down! Like way down-dead down.So down you ain't even gonna know which way is up! Your asses gonna be cryin' to your skank-ass queen, Oh mommy, don't let the bad man hurt us! F*(K YOU! WE GONNA WOOP YOUR MOMMA'S ASS! WOO!"

Hey mine just arrived at my house and is waiting for me when I get back so I'll be hopping on that webspace too.. and then You grubby ass bitches are goin' down! Like way down-dead down.So down you ain't even gonna know which way is up! Your asses gonna be cryin' to your skank-ass queen, Oh mommy, don't let the bad man hurt us! F*(K YOU! WE GONNA WOOP YOUR MOMMA'S ASS! WOO!"

You know if you fail to get in the top 10 now you're going to have to eat those words. And don't even think of posting any scores to the easy table or you'll be eating those words through a cup on a string through fhhhht.net! :lol:

Seriously though, have fun & I hope you find the game as easy as you think it is...it's not arkanoid-easy at all for many reasons :-)

• Like 4

Damn, just browsing through threads -- I had never even HEARD of Blackout before this.. just missed the release (and subsequent drama) entirely. and up until now I thought I had a pretty much complete Jag collection from keeping up and ordering stuff as soon as I heard about it . Dammit! ;)

Off to ebay.. ;)

Damn, just browsing through threads -- I had never even HEARD of Blackout before this.. just missed the release (and subsequent drama) entirely.

Consider yourself lucky having saved $100.

Pressing random buttons in an attempt to 'win' is just as fun with a powered off Jaguar and an empty cart slot.

• Like 4