IGNORED

how could have been Alien on Intellivision?

vprette

If you are continually shooting aliens and need to keep track of your energy and ammo an 8 way scrolling game (like Alien Breed) on the Inty it won't work very well because you can't see your stats 100% of the time. The Inty could do much better than a pacman style game. Take a look at Alien on the Speccy or C64 for how it looked back in the day on more capable systems :-

I think a side on view game like Xenophobe or Impossible Mission would be fun to play.

If you are continually shooting aliens and need to keep track of your energy and ammo an 8 way scrolling game (like Alien Breed) on the Inty it won't work very well because you can't see your stats 100% of the time. The Inty could do much better than a pacman style game. Take a look at Alien on the Speccy or C64 for how it looked back in the day on more capable systems :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4BYLSoa5Ao

I think a side on view game like Xenophobe or Impossible Mission would be fun to play.

The C64 version was a blast!

mybe this one is too complex in terms of retro-engineering, I dont know if the c64 source code is available...

what about something like Ad&D ? dark tunnel to explore but spaceship ambient!

someone want try to make an artwork? I would need it to present to some people..

Edited by vprette

mybe this one is too complex in terms of retro-engineering, I dont know if the c64 source code is available...

what about something like Ad&D ? dark tunnel to explore but spaceship ambient!

An Impossible Mission look is definitely possible,

someone want try to make an artwork? I would need it to present to some people..

While AA was down for me last night I did some programmer art. This is how I think a version of "Alien" on the Inty could look :-

post-21935-0-44295300-1361709192_thumb.png

I wanted to go for an LCD panel look for the status areas. The blue pillars would be done in Y scaled sprites at a higher priority than the 6 remaining ones. That way player/aliens/shots could pass behind them for an added 3D feeling. If the active player is done in 2 colours (he looks like a character from the arnie running man film :lol:) that leaves 4 sprites for shots and aliens. The alien adults might be better using 2 sprites otherwise I don't think you won't get a good animated tail in an 8 pixel wide sprite. If you used two sprites for aliens you could trade that against the number of pillars in the "room". In any case you'd need to go mad with animation frames to make up for the "coarseness "of the scaled in X and Y main sprites.

Basically you'd have 4 characters to play with and could swap between them when you like. Each character could have a different set of abilities e.g. "Dallas" could use bigger weapons, "Lambert" could be good at solving puzzles, "Ripley" could have good stamina and could take more hits from aliens. But you couldn't leave the character alone for too long otherwise they'd get killed by aliens roaming around. The game would be puzzle and mission based. For example you need to collect a new part for a computer (job for Ripley) to open a door with a code (job for Lambert) to kill a nest of aliens (job for Dallas). It'd be up to the player to work out what character was best to use for each part of the puzzle as well.

Given that its unlikely a film tie-in would be possible you can take the game wherever you wanted to in terms of style, game play and objectives as long as it was "alien" based.

two questions: the characters are moving separately, so when I select one I move myself to a different location? this would mean we need access to a map, and most of all is it possible to implement? looks very complex to me to take trace of 4 characters in the intv memory.....

second question is how to make a reasonnable alien character.....

one comment: the radar showing approaching aliens is crucial in this game: any idea?

Edited by vprette
  • Like 1

two questions: the characters are moving separately, so when I select one I move myself to a different location? this would mean we need access to a map, and most of all is it possible to implement? looks very complex to me to take trace of 4 characters in the intv memory.....

second question is how to make a reasonnable alien character.....

Yep! Just use the number pad or press a side button to enter the select/change character screen. The map will only have your game characters on it and maybe doors that you have opened as part of the game. The graphics data will come from ROM and it won't take much RAM to store which doors have been opened or to place your character in the middle of a room.

With two Inty sprites side by side you have a "joined sprite" that is a maximum of 16x16. By making use of the X and Y hardware scaling you can adjust the sizes on screen. It'd take a good pixel artist to get something that looks good at that size.