IGNORED

Ebay Resellers...

voltron

Luckily once you been on ebay a while as a collector you learn who they are and what they actually bid, so once in a while I like throwing wrenched at their plan and bid just below their usual max bid, so that its harder for them to resell it since the have to sell it for a lot of having paid a lot :)

Luckily once you been on ebay a while as a collector you learn who they are and what they actually bid, so once in a while I like throwing wrenched at their plan and bid just below their usual max bid, so that its harder for them to resell it since the have to sell it for a lot of having paid a lot :)

:lol:

I just had to say to my wife.

No, he's not a woman. He's Voltron, I'm not chatting with a woman. His pic is from his girlfriend, I think.

• Like 2

Do you mean the Ebay re-sellers like Pikach007 and NESRobotking?

Or collectors like maybe some of us that buy/bought more than one copy and have to or forced to resell at a later date to make a little extra dough?

Or ANYONE that buys stuff and then lists something at an unrealistic buy iy now price?

Or collectors like maybe some of us that buy/bought more than one copy and have to or forced to resell at a later date to make a little extra dough?

Or ANYONE that buys stuff and then lists something at an unrealistic buy iy now price?

Resellers, not collectors. The usual suspects, yes like robotking.

I'd throw the last one into the mix as well. There are a few semi-regulars on these boards that use absolutely rediculous BINs for their items. One regularly deals works the Colecovision board and the another handles a lot of higher end Atari stuff.

Edited by Atari_Bill

I hate them as well... ebay has become the land of resellers, I shake my head every time I see the inflated buy it now listings...

Well it gets bad for sniping to bc if you see a rare item and your a collector you need to be aware that the resellers like to snip and they bid high. So depending on how much you want it you may need to pay a lot. I remember one sellel r sniped an auction, and just as quickly as he won it, he relisted it $300 more Bin. He then sold it to another reseller who relisted it for 900. So ebay resellers are bad for collectors. They artificially raise the price of auctions and hoard other games. I still remember a cold calll I got for christmas carol when it went on sale to the public. The guy offered to sell it to me for $300. I replied why would I want to buy his when I can get it for 60from the author ans signed. He did not reply.

But yeah many times you get ridiculous prices. I have overpaid for items many times bc of the resellers. at the end of the auction you see their secret id. so for revenge I will bid on an auction just below their normal price and make them pay or nearly impossible to resell bc it would be to crazy of a prize. One reseller loves to bid 1111. so on a few auction I bid 1110 and the reseller over paid. I got him 7 times with this and he disappeared for a while. :)

But yeah many times you get ridiculous prices. I have overpaid for items many times bc of the resellers. at the end of the auction you see their secret id. so for revenge I will bid on an auction just below their normal price and make them pay or nearly impossible to resell bc it would be to crazy of a prize. One reseller loves to bid 1111. so on a few auction I bid 1110 and the reseller over paid. I got him 7 times with this and he disappeared for a while. :)

Call me vendictive, but there is one reseller out there that burned me in the past sale. When I notice them bidding on somthing I'm interested in, I always push the bid more than I would have in the first place. Sometimes I'll get the item (which is fine), othertimes I make them seriously pay for it. Either way is a win for me. :D

Well it gets bad for sniping to bc if you see a rare item and your a collector you need to be aware that the resellers like to snip and they bid high. So depending on how much you want it you may need to pay a lot. I remember one sellel r sniped an auction, and just as quickly as he won it, he relisted it $300 more Bin. He then sold it to another reseller who relisted it for 900. So ebay resellers are bad for collectors. They artificially raise the price of auctions and hoard other games. I still remember a cold calll I got for christmas carol when it went on sale to the public. The guy offered to sell it to me for $300. I replied why would I want to buy his when I can get it for 60from the author ans signed. He did not reply.

Is it possible that doing this has at least as much to do with artificially raising prices as what resellers do?

Is it possible that doing this has at least as much to do with artificially raising prices as what resellers do?

Yep. While I think flippers (i.e. people who sit on Ebay all day and then simply buy items only to relist them either immediately or shortly thereafter, at times not even having the item in hand yet or reusing the previous seller's photos) are horrible and do serious damage to the collecting community, I think speed collectors and people who consistently pay far more than market value for items simply because they are impatient are just as damaging. I also take issue with the OP claiming he "overpaid for items many times because of the resellers". He overpaid because he lacks discipline and self control. If an item goes for more than market value or what you want to pay, just don't bid, resellers or not. It's not like any of these games are truly one of a kind.

• Like 1

Short term yes, long term unlikely. If the relative value goes up, there will eventually non-reseller people wanting to cash in. If enough items come up for sale, it would likely bring prices down.

The wildcard is that the Intellivision collectables are currently experiencing a price bubble, driven by the specific age demographic reliving their childhoods. The fact that this is always driven by relative affluence, continues to push the price up. The current situation is compounded by the same people who think prices can only go up, and are willing to overpay for their "bucket list" - not any different than the historic examples of "irrational exhuberance" of the stock market and real estate prices.

General economic theory proves out that an unrestircted market will eventually seek it's equilibrium. It's only a matter of time until prices get high enough, that hundreds of guys will get smacked in the back of the head by their wife while watching an ebay auction... "WTF! you are going to spend that much on this?".

• Like 2

I believe that if you want to build a collection, you should be able to do so however you wish, even if that means throwing in huge proxy bids or hitting overpriced BINs. It is your money, after all.

However, it's another thing to do that and say that you hate resellers because they artificially inflate prices. So bojay1997 is right in that "speed" collectors (or whatever you want to call them) ALSO artificially inflate prices by justifying the inflated price. In some ways, the impact can be worse. For example, collectors can laugh at a seller wanting to get $1,000 for a recent homebrew. However, the fact that someone has paid $1,000 for a recent homebrew may contribute more to setting an artificially-high value.

Also, playing "sheriff" by trying to guess the proxy bid of resellers hurts more than just the reseller. It also artificially inflates values.

In my opinion, collect what you wish, however you wish. Just be aware of the impacts of your good intentions.

• Like 1

The other thing I dislike are secret bidding war sellers, those who cold call one person after they made an offer to a different person and then cold call back saying person number two offer more than you. I mean if you like bidding wars just put it up for auctions instead of trying to create a bidding war in secret.