IGNORED

Cheapest Collection To Complete?

SoulBlazer

Definitely not NES, that's for sure. I'd go with Virtual Boy, but Odessy 2 as someone brought up, is also a likely candidate. 7800 is too popular today and especially as a 2-in-1 system, you'll have to also collect it's VCS back-catalog!

No way on the VB. Granted, MOST of the library is dirt cheap, but those 3-4 Japanese exclusives will fetch a real price. Nothing that'll kill you, but $40-$70 each, putting the total cost north of $200.

And, it's harder and harder to get VB hardware in good condition. It's one system where the cost of entry is DEFINATELY going up.

I think 7800 is a likely candidate. Most games are cheap despite not a lot of sellers dealing 7800 stuff, with the rarest of the rare titles being under $100. Most loose 7800 and even some sealed go for less than $10. However the b/c is almost a crutch for collecting in that it's nigh impossible to buy "lots" of 7800 games without being stuck with common 2600 leftovers. And everyone knows the cheapest way to complete a system is to buy in lots. Some collectors have managed to break even doing this with harder to collect for systems such as NES, simply by repavkaging and reselling the dupes. Any profits can go towards the more desirable rares.

I think 7800 is a likely candidate. Most games are cheap despite not a lot of sellers dealing 7800 stuff, with the rarest of the rare titles being under $100. Most loose 7800 and even some sealed go for less than $10. However the b/c is almost a crutch for collecting in that it's nigh impossible to buy "lots" of 7800 games without being stuck with common 2600 leftovers. And everyone knows the cheapest way to complete a system is to buy in lots. Some collectors have managed to break even doing this with harder to collect for systems such as NES, simply by repavkaging and reselling the dupes. Any profits can go towards the more desirable rares.

I wouldn't think the 7800 personally. I guess it depends on whether you're collecting CIB or not. If you're trying to do the 7800 CIB, some of the titles are pretty tough to get at a reasonable price:

Tank Command

Title Match Pro Wrestling

Kung Fu Master

Mean 18

Basketbrawl

Alien Brigade

All are north of $50 and a few north of $100 if you can find them at all. It took me forever to get a CIB of Title Match Pro Wresting. Since then (over the last year) I've seen exactly one other copy come up on ebay.

I'm mostly a loose collector. Yeah some titles might be rare sealed or CIB; I'm not denying that. But some of the more commonly "overstocked" 7800 titles appear to be easier to find CIB or sealed than loose. Take Ballblazer for example, picked it up for $7.95 sealed. Sometimes I'll do an eBay search for title X, and three quarters of the available listings are CIB or sealed. When that happens, the extra packaging is just a bonus! :D

I'm going to suggest the Sega Master System. There are a mere 269 games in the PAL library (even less in the US and Japan where the SMS didn't do so well) and common games can be bought CIB for £5-£10 and even the rare games can be bought for anything between £60-£120 (maybe less if you wait for auctions instead of BINs).

There are also plenty of other collecting options for the SMS. Pirate hacks, Tectoy releases in Brazil and Portugal, peripherals, variations in hardware and software, undiscovered prototypes, the list goes on. The SMS can be as cheap or expensive as you want it to be.

I'm going to suggest the Sega Master System. There are a mere 269 games in the PAL library (even less in the US and Japan where the SMS didn't do so well) and common games can be bought CIB for £5-£10 and even the rare games can be bought for anything between £60-£120 (maybe less if you wait for auctions instead of BINs).

There are also plenty of other collecting options for the SMS. Pirate hacks, Tectoy releases in Brazil and Portugal, peripherals, variations in hardware and software, undiscovered prototypes, the list goes on. The SMS can be as cheap or expensive as you want it to be.

Smurf 2. Easily north of $500 by itself CIB in good condition. There's also a few other that commands pretty penny like Power Strike 2. Sorry but SMS is out of the question. CIB Virtualboy collection (including Japanese exclusives) is probably cheaper than loose SMS collection.

• 1 year later...

Smurf 2. Easily north of $500 by itself CIB in good condition. There's also a few other that commands pretty penny like Power Strike 2. Sorry but SMS is out of the question. CIB Virtualboy collection (including Japanese exclusives) is probably cheaper than loose SMS collection.

smstheluckydimecaper_zps1895455a.jpg

And this is like $900 and up

• Like 1

Atari 7800 is easily the easiest and cheapest library to complete. There are only 59 original titles. There are only a few games that are expensive, but not in any means break the bank expensive. That's if it's loose. You will pay a little more for CIB. I've also heard the NTSC Master System library is not as expensive and easy to collect for as well. 5200 would be a slam dunk but "Bounty Bob Strikes Back" is the toughest to acquire and a grail for the system.

I still say Microvision is the answer here. I was able to get a complete US collection for under $100 total, all CIB, with several extra games and an extra unit (settle down, Beavis) left over.

Getting the one European exclusive would cost a bit more, but still, we're talking a fraction of what it'd cost to complete any other system's collection.

• Like 1

I still say Microvision is the answer here. I was able to get a complete US collection for under $100 total, all CIB, with several extra games and an extra unit (settle down, Beavis) left over.

Getting the one European exclusive would cost a bit more, but still, we're talking a fraction of what it'd cost to complete any other system's collection.

It's a good piece of history, too. Take that, Gameboy. ;)

The toughest part may be getting one that works, without screen rot. If you're fussy, make sure to find one that is advertised as "working", with the seller showing proof.

Nothing is cheap now a days

Even the flops are kinda getting expensive

This is all too true, sadly. Even systems with small libraries such as the Channel F, Odyssey 1 & 2, Arcadia 2001, Nuon, Vectrex, APF M1000, and Telstar Arcade have had their uncommon titles rise sharply in price, and have truly rare titles that can go years without appearing in collector condition. It would literally be easier and quicker to simply buy up complete sets for systems with larger yet readily available libraries such as the 7800, Master System, Sega CD, Jaguar, 32X, etc.

The only systems still cheap to collect are likely the Microvision and the Studio II, assuming the Bingo game did not in fact have a retail release. That is typed with reluctance, as noon collectors desperate for a full set for some system, any system will converge on those two.

This is all too true, sadly. Even systems with small libraries such as the Channel F, Odyssey 1 & 2, Arcadia 2001, Nuon, Vectrex, APF M1000, and Telstar Arcade have had their uncommon titles rise sharply in price, and have truly rare titles that can go years without appearing in collector condition. It would literally be easier and quicker to simply buy up complete sets for systems with larger yet readily available libraries such as the 7800, Master System, Sega CD, Jaguar, 32X, etc.

The only systems still cheap to collect are likely the Microvision and the Studio II, assuming the Bingo game did not in fact have a retail release. That is typed with reluctance, as noon collectors desperate for a full set for some system, any system will converge on those two.

Even the Microvision has its' 'one' title that can be a bit of a challenge to find and that will come at a small price - "Super Blockbuster". When I was looking to complete my Microvision set, I think I was pretty lucky in that it only took a couple of months and about $80 to find/pick this up. Is it an $80 game? Not by a long shot (and maybe I was 'had') but it did enable me to complete one system anyways. The 'non-Star Trek Branded' Phaser Strike was a bit of a challenge for me as well.

I tried for Channel F for a bit, got 1-18, 21 (Bowling) and 23 (Galactic Space Wars) but have given up as there are too many left at high prices that I can't see myself going for (I do have the awesome MultiCart which is a plus). The only other system I shoot for near complete is the Jag but I know there is at least one or two games I will never get (BS and Mad Bodies) barring a miracle.

Even the Microvision has its' 'one' title that can be a bit of a challenge to find and that will come at a small price - "Super Blockbuster". When I was looking to complete my Microvision set, I think I was pretty lucky in that it only took a couple of months and about $80 to find/pick this up. Is it an $80 game? Not by a long shot (and maybe I was 'had') but it did enable me to complete one system anyways. The 'non-Star Trek Branded' Phaser Strike was a bit of a challenge for me as well.

I tried for Channel F for a bit, got 1-18, 21 (Bowling) and 23 (Galactic Space Wars) but have given up as there are too many left at high prices that I can't see myself going for (I do have the awesome MultiCart which is a plus). The only other system I shoot for near complete is the Jag but I know there is at least one or two games I will never get (BS and Mad Bodies) barring a miracle.

The problem with such systems is when you plan to get ALL the games. If I aim to get the full set of Saba Videoplay (Euro Channel F) games, it's pretty cheap, even cart N°20 (found one loose in a lot of 6/7 for like 50€, and one CIB for 20€ ).

Now if I wanna get the missing carts released only in the US, this is another story.

Same for the Microvision. All Euro titles? Easy and cheap, I'd say about 80€ for the system and all games (all boxed), not counting shipping. Getting the US titles? Adds up a lot.

And of course it goes in the other way.