IGNORED

Wizard of Wor 2: The Arena

CDS Games

If you like Wizard of Wor, this new hack starts where the CBS 2600 version left off.

WIzardofWor2.bin

The original dungeons have been replaced with 3 and 4 ("The Arena") from the arcade version. Otherwise, the game play is the same as the original.

Here's the first screen.

post-31389-0-39812100-1361583937_thumb.jpg

And here's "The Arena":

post-31389-0-15783700-1361583956_thumb.jpg

Hopefully I got all the movement rules right, but let me know if anyone is going through walls.

-Claudio

UPDATE:

Thanks to Nukey Shay, iesposta, and others, this hack has expanded into the development of a full-fledged 16k "Wizard of Wor Arcade" for the 2600. Features implemented so far include all of the dungeons of the arcade game, improved graphics, title screens, and speech functionality for the AtariVox. See the latest posts for the most current versions.

A complete Wizard of Wor "Expansion Pack" is also available here. These are all basically just the 4k CBS 2600 version with different dungeons.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/209266-wizard-of-wor-2-the-arena/page-3?do=findComment&comment=2760814

Edited by CDS Games
  • Like 10

Possible expansion:

The game is already keeping track of the number of boards...but only the low bit is used when deciding which screen to display and follow "movement rules" for. At 22 bytes for the former and 33 bytes for the latter, you could pack in a lot of screens if the display code is put in a seperate bank.

But anyway, you might want to fix the number of scanlines for PAL users. The original runs 263. Killing off an unnecessary WSYNC should do it...change $F9C9 from $02 to $2E.

Sure, I can change that to fix the scanlines. And thanks for the info about the ports...I was wondering why that was happening!

I love the expansion idea, but it's way beyond what I can do. I thought of doing a set of separate games with the other screens, though obviously having it all in one 8k ROM would be way better.

By the way Nukey, special thanks to you on this. When I changed the maze graphics and saw that the movement wasn't affected, I did a quick search of the archives and found your post explaining the Ms. Pac-man movement rules.

Something interesting is that this game uses a full left-to-right map instead of just flipping the left portion values for the right...so it's possible to use mirrored playfields in addition to reversed (tho some wall placement is limited when using mirror mode).

BTW the score in the original game has a few oddities about it. Indirect pointers for the low 2 digits are set up, but not fully utilized (since scores always end in "00"). Blank bitmap values exist in the digit table, but never read (possible leading zero removal code existed at some point?). The high nybble of each players score is saved in memory, but never displayed (possible 6-digit score display existed at some time?).

I just fixed the scores to show all 6 digits...I'll PM something for you to use once bankswitching is added. I need to track down some indirect pointers first.

• Like 1

Here is another 4k version with two new dungeons. It's called #1a and not #3 because it's really more a variation of the original, and I'm going to save #3 for one with the Worlord dungeons. Hmm....I'm making this too confusing, aren't I?

Well anyway, in total there are now 6 dungeons. These will all go into the 8k version that Nukey is developing, where you'll be able to play them straight through.

1 & 2 - Wizard of Wor (the original game)

3 & 4 - Wizard of Wor 2: The Arena

5 & 6 - Wizard of Wor 1a

WizardofWor1a.bin

:thumbsup: I love this expansion idea... because you can play it right away! I'm all for this.

There is a thread on here where some were remaking WOW from scratch. I guess it was abandoned and I don't remember any ROM files.

I want to remake this also to use AtariVox 2 speech.

Way back in 2007. John (Champeau) had an impressive kernel put together, but I don't think that he did any work on it since for a playable demo game. Other projects (like Moon Cresta) might have taken priority there...not to mention real life.

Good memory Nukey! Here is the original thread that promised plenty of riches: :)

http://www.atariage....-of-wor-arcade/

Unfortunately I haven't worked on this in over 6 years. Here is the BIN that showed some of what I was trying to do:

Looks like I attached the ROM incorrectly - hopefully this works:

wowarc.bin

The current demo has:

- 2 players, both can move in the maze and fire a missile

- score display both players

- countdown timer

- escape doors

- name display for the level (i.e. "The Arena")

- pressing select will toggle between level 1 and The Arena

- extra lives display

- working radar

- right difficulty switch to 'A' will display "DOUBLE SCORE DUNGEON"

I ran out of steam trying to write the display kernel to use intelligent flicker when displaying the monsters (which was the original intention of the re-write).

Anyway - good to see someone else expanding WoW to include new mazes and features.

Good luck!

Edited by johnnywc
  • Like 1

For some reason I couldn't download the

Good memory Nukey! Here is the original thread that promised plenty of riches: :)

http://www.atariage....-of-wor-arcade/

Unfortunately I haven't worked on this in over 6 years. Here is the BIN that showed some of what I was trying to do:

Looks like I attached the ROM incorrectly - hopefully this works:

wowarc.bin

The current demo has:

- 2 players, both can move in the maze and fire a missile

- score display both players

- countdown timer

- escape doors

- name display for the level (i.e. "The Arena")

- pressing select will toggle between level 1 and The Arena

- extra lives display

- working radar

- right difficulty switch to 'A' will display "DOUBLE SCORE DUNGEON"

I ran out of steam trying to write the display kernel to use intelligent flicker when displaying the monsters (which was the original intention of the re-write).

Anyway - good to see someone else expanding WoW to include new mazes and features.

Good luck!

For some reason I couldn't download the rom from the post. :? I got a warning saying I don't have permission to do that (download the rom). However I can download the other roms in this thread.

I finally got the download to work by going outside of the thread, clicking on the paperclip beside the thread, and downloading it from there.

I gather that in the arcade game, the side doors remain open until a character uses one (which closes them for ~N frames). What is ~N? This aspect is not used in the 2600 game (it just uses a positive/negative framecounter status)...but could easily be added.

Are the walls always red in the arcade? Or do those change color at some point?

Anyone care to create some AtariVOX data strings? Moving the score where it is supposed to be saved some ram...and splitting up PF0, PF1, and PF2 data into seperate pages eliminates the three (indirect),Y pointers (a single index byte is enough to handle all 3 PF registers...since there's only 24 mazes). I can add the driver and subroutine calls to the hack, but I've got no way of testing the speech data.

Plenty of free space to include all of the arcade game taunts, I think.