IGNORED

Best all-around joystick?

snakeboy

Wow. That thing's pretty cool. I imagine the chances of me coming across one in the U.S. are pretty much nil, though.

And then there is the Starfighter stick, which is also made by Suncom and is very similar to the Slik Stik. I have three Suncom sticks - TAC-2, Slik Stik, and Starfighter - and they all have the same issue: the buttons just don't feel as responsive as they should. And the buttons on the Slik Stik and Starfighter are smaller than I would like. Still, aside from that, they seem very well made. The sticks on all of them are terrific - very responsive. Not sure if the button thing is common or I just got unlucky...

Now, if you want a joystick with great buttons, try the Competition Pro 5000. I would say that it's not quite as good an all-around stick as the Wico bat, but for games where you need to tap the button a lot and/or need quick 8-way movement, this one is the best I've used.

My favorite is the Starfighter.

To fix the button issues, I clean off the corrosion using things like Brasso and CLR. Then the shiniest side of the button contact I face down. I clean the rest of the joystick contacts with alcohol. They just need the same TLC that cartridges do. It has worked on all my Starfighters, Slik Stixs, and TAC-2s.

I was unsatisfied with the stock CX40s, so I built my own out of arcade parts. It's pretty huge at 8"x8"x4", but surprisingly comfortable in my lap. I used an Optimarc Magstik Plus, which allows the user to switch between 4-way and 8-way on the fly (pull up on joystick and rotate to switch modes). The 4-way mode is great for many arcade ports like Pacman which can often have issues with 8-way sticks. It also supports an extra red button for right- or left-handed operation.

Click link for pic:

http://www.atariage....ttach_id=276530

Alternately, you can always plug in a Genesis controller if you grew up on Nintendo or are simply a D-pad kind of guy.

Edited by stardust4ever

To fix the button issues, I clean off the corrosion using things like Brasso and CLR. Then the shiniest side of the button contact I face down. I clean the rest of the joystick contacts with alcohol. They just need the same TLC that cartridges do. It has worked on all my Starfighters, Slik Stixs, and TAC-2s.

Thanks for the tips. I'll give that a try.

Alternately, you can always plug in a Genesis controller if you grew up on Nintendo or are simply a D-pad kind of guy.

Yeah, the Genesis controller works well, but it just doesn't feel right when I use a d-pad on the Atari 2600. It would be perfectly fine for an emulator, but for the real thing, I need a joystick.

I used to be a fan of the Wico bat-handled joysticks, but these days, my hands and wrists get tired after using them.

The only controller I find that I prefer these days for general use over the Atari CX-40 is the PlayStation 2 Dual Shock controller. (I have an adapter that allows me to use it on the VCS). The thumbstick is a nice way to play for hours without any wrist or hand fatigue.

I didn't mention the Flashback 2 stick, which was unofficially known a s a CX-40B. That's my other favorite joystick. There are some games the CX-10 just doesn't do very well for and that's when I reach for the FB2 stick.

Perhaps this is a question for HSC enthusiasts. I've won several HSCs with first party joysticks myself.

• Like 1

Nobody tried the Mindscape Powerplayer?

post-16281-0-97822800-1362264619_thumb.jpg

I believe the following quote was regarding that controller:

the mindscape stick literally split it's shell from light use due to the torque. (and that was three brand new ones back in the day, when I bought it and returned it for a replacement,) It was ok when it worked. last one I duct taped together before using lasted a little longer.

You remember the arcade-style joystick/paddle hybrid I posted here? I just stumbled across one on german eBay - which doesn't happen very often. Maybe one of you guys wants to give it a shot. It is sold untested, though...

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.de%2Fitm%2FMicro-Handler-Joystick-fur-Commodore-Amiga-Atari-Amstrad-Schneider-Sinc-%2F151004452826%3Fpt%3DKlassische_Computer%26hash%3Ditem23289117da

I would say if you can get it for $25-30, shipping included, it's worth it... if it works.

Based on this thread I bought an Epyx 500XJ and it was delivered today. It will take some getting used to, but overall I like it. I still put the Wico "bat" close to the top spot, but this Epyx is cool. I think it's definitely in the top 5.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the ProStick II or III, a few years ago those were always mentioned in the top 5 controllers....

I believe the following quote was regarding that controller:

Uh, yeah it was. Missed that completely. Thanks!

Yup, thanks snakeboy. :) that way they don't have to scroll back through the thread :)

And thank YOU for posting what I missed. :)

Disappointing to hear the Mindscape one is junk, but very grateful to hear about it, before getting one!

Why is the Competition Pro so blasted expensive? What is the affiliation with Commodore? Obviously, this works with Atari (and whatever else) but it really has a particular following with Commodore, and "back in the day" (the actual 8-bit computer and A2600 era) I never saw ONE, but I owned and used many joysticks - most of the ones mentioned in this thread or even on this site. But no Competition Pro, and I've never seen one. Is the Competition Pro a more recent development, or a Euro development? I'm just wondering why I've never seen one but I know it's hugely-popular with the Commodore computers. Even the C64-in-a-Joystick is pretty much made like one.

Speaking of Commodore, I used to have one of these....

post-16281-0-05254100-1362473264_thumb.png

....but I can't find it anymore. it worked pretty well. Nothing special, but working pretty well is a good thing, in a world that has bad joysticks.

Speaking of bad joysticks, when I was growing up (long time ago, mind you) I ran across a super-sale on these....

post-16281-0-51335200-1362473268_thumb.jpg

.....and bought either 4 or 6 of them. Every one of them snapped off where the stick goes into the base. The fire button poorly-placed for shoot-em-ups, too. I nominate this as contender for worst Atari joystick.

edit: Sorry for bad grammar/redundancy - trying to talk on the phone and type and I multitask worse than my computer

Edited by wood_jl

About the Competition Pro...

There are numerous USB Plug and Play Competitions around these days for 15-20 Euro a piece. A few years ago, I bought one that came with a load of (crappy) Amiga games on a disc. The mechanics of that Competion aren't quite as awesome as the old ones, but still very decent. I wonder if those can be rewired to work on the old systems...

Most joysticks give me hand cramps rather easily. I didn't notice it was the joystick doing it until the Atari 7800 came along and wrecked me within five minutes of play. I kept seeing advertisements for the 7800 joypads but never saw them in stores.

When the Sega Genesis came along the FIRST thing I noticed was the connectors were the same. I actually played my 2600 MORE then the brand new Genesis for awhile after that :P

You remember the arcade-style joystick/paddle hybrid I posted here? I just stumbled across one on german eBay - which doesn't happen very often. Maybe one of you guys wants to give it a shot. It is sold untested, though...

http://rover.ebay.co...=item23289117da

I would say if you can get it for $25-30, shipping included, it's worth it... if it works.

I have one of those if anyone wants to make me an offer

After doing some translating, it doesn't seem he's shipping internationally, but the bidding is getting higher than I would want to pay for an untested stick, anyway. Thanks for posting, though. Definitely looks like a neat stick.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the ProStick II or III, a few years ago those were always mentioned in the top 5 controllers....

Almost forgot about the ProStick II - I have the one seen here with the "gateplate" that allows you to switch between 4-way and 8-way control. Yeah, it's a pretty good all-around stick - well built and good controls. Being able to switch to 4-way control makes it a great controller for a game like Jr. Pac-Man. The only real negative is that the odd button placement doesn't make it good stick for games with a lot of button tapping.

And now I'm intrigued by the fact there is a ProStick III. I've never even heard of it.

Why is the Competition Pro so blasted expensive? What is the affiliation with Commodore? Obviously, this works with Atari (and whatever else) but it really has a particular following with Commodore, and "back in the day" (the actual 8-bit computer and A2600 era) I never saw ONE, but I owned and used many joysticks - most of the ones mentioned in this thread or even on this site. But no Competition Pro, and I've never seen one. Is the Competition Pro a more recent development, or a Euro development? I'm just wondering why I've never seen one but I know it's hugely-popular with the Commodore computers. Even the C64-in-a-Joystick is pretty much made like one.

I'm certainly no expert on the Competition Pro, but from what I've seen, they seem to be more common in Europe. I got one of mine from atari2600.com (the other from an ebay lot), and I see them there from time to time, so check the site on a regular basis. I think the price was around $15, so not too bad. Right now they have a Competition Pro 200X, which I've never used and doesn't look as good as the 5000 (at least to me).

http://rover.ebay.co...=item23289117da

Getting off subject here, but I just have to post a snippet of what Chrome helpfully "translated" from this auction listing into English:

"Micro Merchant joystick-1 for Commodore, Amiga, Atari, Amstrad, Schneider, Sinclair, M SX and a ther Heimcomp uter

No A STATEMENT whether noc h fun ktioni t s. Have no connection options and sell it here without fun ction of.Bastl Flowerbed arf, or for salvaging."

Most definitely, Bastl Flowerbed arf, or for salvaging".

• Like 2

Getting off subject here, but I just have to post a snippet of what Chrome helpfully "translated" from this auction listing into English

As hideous as the Chrome translator is - one word to its defense: the seller had a few spelling errors or typos in his text.

The stick went for almost 30 Euro in the end. That's pretty expensive, especially untested. It does show, however, that some people are really fond of this piece of metal.

Getting off subject here, but I just have to post a snippet of what Chrome helpfully "translated" from this auction listing into English:

"Micro Merchant joystick-1 for Commodore, Amiga, Atari, Amstrad, Schneider, Sinclair, M SX and a ther Heimcomp uter

No A STATEMENT whether noc h fun ktioni t s. Have no connection options and sell it here without fun ction of.Bastl Flowerbed arf, or for salvaging."

Wow. If that were "translated" into ALL CAPS, it would almost read like a KMD auction.

• 4 years later...

Speaking of bad joysticks, when I was growing up (long time ago, mind you) I ran across a super-sale on these....

attachicon.gifPointmaster.jpg

.....and bought either 4 or 6 of them. Every one of them snapped off where the stick goes into the base. The fire button poorly-placed for shoot-em-ups, too. I nominate this as contender for worst Atari joystick.

edit: Sorry for bad grammar/redundancy - trying to talk on the phone and type and I multitask worse than my computer

maybe don't treat it so bad, I have one that I mainly bought to play c64 games since until sega I didn't have anything that used that input, never broke. I still have it somewhere in storage, fully intact.