IGNORED

Picked up a colecovision with exp module today, but has issues...

PhildoBaggins

So I got one finally, and fixed my atari 5200 power issues as well.

When I start up the Colecovision all I get is a buzzing and mostly a black screen but sometimes some lines and like the audio starting up, but heavily distorted.

Does this sound like the common power switch issue? The power switch on the unit takes considerable force to get anywhere near the power on position.

Seems like it could be a video issue too? I've tried two different tv's, the original RF cable and a brand new shielded av cable I picked up for all my older systems.

Just wanted to check and see if the power switch was a good place to start, I read the repair posts on here, but my issue doesn't *quite* match up, but is similar...

Also, I'm new here, but you guys have helped me out so much already, and I really am loving this forum so far.

Took it apart, cleaned the switch and got it back to working. Still having the problem. So I took a look at the components on the board, and toward the back there is a metal box around the video components with a chip inside, and it has several points where it is soldered to the box, and one of the solder points is broken. Could this be all it needs?

post-35129-0-36482100-1361843258_thumb.jpg

I'd try a quick composite video mod to see if that fixes it. $2 in parts, and a little bit of soldering (or some milk or pop to get a friend to help out). If it works, spend some extra time making it look nice:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/163446-diy-modifications-for-colecovision/#entry2019142

and of course:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/170686-new-guide-for-cv-disassembly/#entry2135502