IGNORED

RCA Studio II GOLD MINE! An interview with the Studio 2 Production Manager!

• 1 month later...

Looks like 2016 wasn't finished with us yet for surprises:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-Studio-II-Console-with-games-/332077629823?

FOR GOD'S SAKE DON'T BID ON THIS- I'M ALREADY IN CONTACT WITH THE SELLER SO WE CAN GET THIS CARTRIDGE DUMPED AND PRESERVED!!! HOLD OFF ON THE BIDDING FOR NOW!!!

I've heard back from the seller, who granted permission to share the following information with the thread here:

The seller confirmed that his parents purchased the system, games, and Demonstration new back in 1977 from a hardware store in Cavalier, North Dakota for him and his brother and it has been in their family ever since.

Prior to this, all of the sightings, real or possible, had been in and around South Jersey and Philly, near Deptford. It's a big deal that one of these, even an incomplete copy, has turned up so far from where it would be expected to have with confirmation that it really was obtained back in the day in such a far removed from New Jersey area.

Edited by Blazing Lazers
  • Like 4

Happy New Year to the Studio II Community!

In the absence of a specific forum this seems to be the de-facto Studio II news thread, so I thought I would post here. I'm sorry if this is a breach of etiquette.

As 2017 marks the 40th anniversary of the release of the Studio II, I felt there was an opportunity for the Intellivision fraternity to share a little love. With this in mind, I have released StudioVision, an RCA Studio II emulator that runs on the Mattel Intellivision.

post-46336-0-65353600-1483262790_thumb.gif

If you want to know more or give it a go, full details and ROMs can be found on the AtariAge Intellivision Programming forum.

Any feedback is most welcome.

Thanks

decle

• Like 6

I've heard back from the seller, who granted permission to share the following information with the thread here:

The seller confirmed that his parents purchased the system, games, and Demonstration new back in 1977 from a hardware store in Cavalier, North Dakota for him and his brother and it has been in their family ever since.

Prior to this, all of the sightings, real or possible, had been in and around South Jersey and Philly, near Deptford. It's a big deal that one of these, even an incomplete copy, has turned up so far from where it would be expected to have with confirmation that it really was obtained back in the day in such a far removed from New Jersey area.

Very interesting stuff!

I still have flips dumper if I can be of any help getting it dumped and I know ed would be happy to send his to someone who could dump it!

Happy New Year to the Studio II Community!

In the absence of a specific forum this seems to be the de-facto Studio II news thread, so I thought I would post here. I'm sorry if this is a breach of etiquette.

As 2017 marks the 40th anniversary of the release of the Studio II, I felt there was an opportunity for the Intellivision fraternity to share a little love. With this in mind, I have released StudioVision, an RCA Studio II emulator that runs on the Mattel Intellivision.

If you want to know more or give it a go, full details and ROMs can be found on the AtariAge Intellivision Programming forum.

Any feedback is most welcome.

Thanks

decle

That's quite amazing, I never would have imagined such a thing! Very cool!

I don't think it's surprising for demonstration carts to appear elsewhere as I assume they were given to shops/sales people to demonstrate what the systems can do. Possibly some shops sold their demo cart when they were getting rid of their stock. Would be really interesting to get it dumped and find out what it actually does.

Only one left then will be the diagnostics cartridge. Which if any survive are probably in some old electricians tool box in a shed/loft/attic/storage somewhere.

• Like 1

$486 at the moment.

On the topic of the cartridge itself. If it does get dumped. I'd be interested to see if its actually a "colour" cartridge or not. As going by the label part number it was one of the later releases so may have been intended for the "studio iii"

I hadn't thought of that... Yeah, it could be in color and forward compatible with the S3.

Come to think of it, is it known who programmed this Demonstration?

Hello Studio II community. I have been asked by one of your members to post on here. I am the person with the demonstration cartridge for sale on eBay. Being new to this I had no idea the value and significance of the cartridge I have for sale. Although I have received some explanation to importance of this cartridge, I still don't fully understand why it is so important. I have been asked for pictures of the cartridge by a few people so I thought I would share them with you. I am not sure if I can answer any of your questions but please feel free to ask any you may have.

The quick back story is that my parents bought this unit, with the four games and the demonstration cartridge, at a hardware store in Cavalier, ND. In talking with my father tonight he seems to recall that the store was going out of business. We have had it in our family ever since then in 1977.

post-49658-0-26751800-1483406970_thumb.jpg

post-49658-0-24866400-1483406984_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Hi. Thanks for posting! :)

It's extremely important to us for software/video game preservation. As what you have is a cartridge for a system that has yet to be rom-dumped (which basically means a copy of the software on the chip). We would love to get this cartridge rom dumped for historic preseveation. Then once dumped you're free to do whatever you want with it.

One person on here has made a rom-dumper that they are willing to send so that you could do it yourself.

However from memory what does this cartridge do? what things does it display or allow you to do?

edit: personally I would cancel the auction... auction the main unit and other games. Help us preserve the demo-cart.. once that's done auction it again separately.

Edited by TLD1985
  • Like 1

Hello Xander1175,

I have an RCA Studio II cartridge dumper. Here are some pictures of it:

S2_dumper_front.jpg

S2_dumper_nocart.jpg

S2_dumper_rear.jpg

I would be happy to send it overnight to you tomorrow morning. You would have it Wednesday. I can include instructions on how to use it. I can even be available to walk you through using it. Once you have it dumped, just send my dumper back to me. I would pay for all postage both ways.

If you'd like to discuss this with me, PM me and I can send you my phone number.

ED

• Like 4

Hi. Thanks for posting! :)

It's extremely important to us for software/video game preservation. As what you have is a cartridge for a system that has yet to be rom-dumped (which basically means a copy of the software on the chip). We would love to get this cartridge rom dumped for historic preseveation. Then once dumped you're free to do whatever you want with it.

One person on here has made a rom-dumper that they are willing to send so that you could do it yourself.

However from memory what does this cartridge do? what things does it display or allow you to do?

edit: personally I would cancel the auction... auction the main unit and other games. Help us preserve the demo-cart.. once that's done auction it again separately.

From memory I honestly don't remember what it does. I haven't used this unit in over 30 years.

• Like 3

It would be wonderful if you would work with Ed to dump this important part of history! It's really quite easy to do.

I am also sure there are a few people here besides myself who would be happy to send you some additional funds for your time as well.

Thanks for joining and sharing as well.

• Like 2

Hello Studio II community. I have been asked by one of your members to post on here. I am the person with the demonstration cartridge for sale on eBay. Being new to this I had no idea the value and significance of the cartridge I have for sale. Although I have received some explanation to importance of this cartridge, I still don't fully understand why it is so important. I have been asked for pictures of the cartridge by a few people so I thought I would share them with you. I am not sure if I can answer any of your questions but please feel free to ask any you may have.

The quick back story is that my parents bought this unit, with the four games and the demonstration cartridge, at a hardware store in Cavalier, ND. In talking with my father tonight he seems to recall that the store was going out of business. We have had it in our family ever since then in 1977.

You made it!!! :) Again, thank you so very much for joining and helping us to try and preserve the data on this cartridge :)

• Like 1

I would assume it's similar to the channel f demo carts. Where it rotates thru the various games for demo and isn't really interactive at all.

But who knows for sure!

Can we tell when it may have come out based on the part numbers? I have not analyzed that yet.

I would think it would have been earlier in the systems life, so probably not color enabled? But would be interesting to find this out.

And it makes sense if this was purchased from a closing store.

Could very likely be the only system and games the store got and they just sold it all as a group at closing.

I would think that a good number of these would have been made and sent to larger stores. But then probably nearly all were tossed out when stores stopped selling them.

Chances are they were never sold publicly or privately.

So any more that turn up are going to be from very old stores that now close, which are getting few and far between but are still out there.

One of my favorite items is something from a situation like this.

I got a unused magnavox odyssey dealer display set still in the shipping container when an old electronics store closed.

Also another old electronics store found a few sealed copies of odyssey precepts still in the box that had been stashed away when they were cleaning out.

So these last few stores that exist are probably the last vestiges for finding these rarities.

• Like 2

These are the label numbers.. the demo cart has one of the later-type part numbers. I would guess the diagnostics cart has an earlier part number (if its ever found). Games in colour are in Bold.

Part # Game (Side) Copyright
1808517-24 TV Bingo (front) none
1808517-23 TV Bingo (back) none
1808517-22 Biorhythm (front) 1977
1808517-21 Biorhythm (back) 1977

1808517-20 Demonstration Cart (f) none
1808517-19 Demonstration Cart (b) none
1808517-18 Blackjack (front) 1977
1808517-17 Blackjack (back) 1977
1808517-16 Math Fun (front) 1977
1808517-15 Math Fun (back) 1977

1808517-14 Gunfighter/Moonship (f) 1977