IGNORED

RCA Studio II GOLD MINE! An interview with the Studio 2 Production Manager!

http://m.ebay.com/itm/RCA-Studio-II-Home-TV-Programmer-Complete-in-Box-18V100-from-1976-/112493413770?nav=WATCHING_ENDED

Serial number 177109 just ended. I'm assuming the high number is why this listing ended relatively high, especially compared to other current listings? It's truly not that noteworthy, but still hopefully it was won by somebody here.

That's true, hadn't really thought about the box condition. That does seem to be a well kept example. Particularly compared to the others still listed. There's an unusual amount of boxed systems available of late, an amount I haven't seen in a good while.

eBay had 3 or 4 of them. I bid on one thinking I could get it at a low price. However, about 4 hours before bidding was up it exploded into a bidding war and the one I was aiming at went for over $190 after being just $45 or so 4 hours prior. Crazy! I guess there is a renewed interested in this system, especially with the release of the multi-cart that came out a little while ago.

Edited by Hwlngmad

So I just wanted to share some progress.

I finally sourced material I am happy with and successfully built new rca studio 2 box lids from all new materials!

This is great because it means no more destroying originals to make more multicart boxes or reproduction boxes!

I was never keen on using old origibal boxes to make these, so this is great.

And of course they are totally clean and new as well.

Here is a new lid I made for the demo cart repros next to an original lid that was next to be repurposed.

Also inside you can see the wording I added to seperate these from any original. They are also numbered so owner copies can be tracked.

This means I will also be willing to make some more multicart boxes as well. So I could take some names for a wanted list.

I am quite busy though for the time being so no promises when I can have more multicart boxes out, and not sure when I will be offering demo cart repros or possibly bingo repros.

post-26050-0-83842500-1501903973_thumb.jpg

post-26050-0-15576700-1501903991_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I have a little question: has Sport fan for visicom been dumped? I can find a file "cas-130" in Emma02 but, when launched it concerns bowling/doodle and more, but not baseball and sumo.

Is there a way to be able to play and test this game which is looking very great for such an old system?

Too, is the repro of the demo cart always available or am I too late?

And I would like to sincerely congratulate people here that do very great things to know more and preserve the Studio II system series. You are making a very interesting work for the archeologists in the future! ;)

• Like 2

Wow! Great pictures of the hanimex system box and game boxes! Thanks for posting those!

I have not publicly taken preorders for the demo cart yet. The first ones are being made and are going to people involved in helping with the multiCart and demo repro.

More should be offered after those but I can't say when or how many I will do.

I can add you to a list of potential copies to be made.

And if you ever want to sell that hanimex system box or game box....please let me know! :) ...or if you have the ability to find another one!

Oh, wow! Those are some great images- thank you for sharing them with us! :)

Quick question for all of us regulars here, too: have any of the overseas clone cartridges been opened up to check the actual insides for any dates or manufacturing information? And then to compare those to US Studio II cart insides? For every single known overseas cart? Or at the copies we have duplicates of?

I forget off the top of my head if that's already been done, but I've wondered if the reason all the titles that are scarce in the US formats are the most common overseas carts (and vice versa) is because so many US copies have had their guts placed into overseas carts.

Just a quick update on the 3d printed shell:

This is the first draft print, still some fiddling to do due to the fact we'll be using screws, not rivets

Printed with a wood/plastic composite since that was the one that had the closest color. We'll probably print in ABS for strength and better detail (less print lines)

I'll start an interest thread to gauge how many I'll be stuck making for the next 6 months ;)

Edit: Interest thread here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/268813-rca-studio-ii-3d-printed-replacement-cart-shells/

post-38229-0-50511300-1502555972_thumb.jpgpost-38229-0-76158500-1502555973_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tarzilla
  • Like 6

@Jack

I have only opened a couple overseas carts as they all must have the stickers damaged to open them.

They are different boards though than the rca s2 used. So it's not a case of using old stock.

Possibly they could be using a design that was made for the rca s3 though?

I think the reason the late games are more common on the clones is that those were the games planned more for the s3. And there was more to them.

@Jack

I have only opened a couple overseas carts as they all must have the stickers damaged to open them.

They are different boards though than the rca s2 used. So it's not a case of using old stock.

Possibly they could be using a design that was made for the rca s3 though?

I think the reason the late games are more common on the clones is that those were the games planned more for the s3. And there was more to them.

RCA Studio III?!?!?!?!?

Yes rca planned a studio 3 but axed the idea.

All the clone systems basically are s3 systems.

With color and sound thru the rf.

Interesting. I had never heard that fact before, I have seen plenty of review videos on the system. That is cool to know as the clone systems are thought to be just RCA Studio IIs, as seen in the Video Game Console Library.

Yes rca planned a studio 3 but axed the idea.

All the clone systems basically are s3 systems.

With color and sound thru the rf.

It might be slightly more complicated: the clones use a PAL chip (CDP1864) which would not have worked on the NTSC systems used in the USA. I'm not aware of an NTSC equivalent. It is/was possible to add colour to the 1861 video chip (using an 1862 colour generator) but that combination would not have had multi-tone sound... It's possible RCA had an NTSC chip up their sleeve for the Studio III, but I don't think that's ever surfaced.

FliP

I guess the visicom would be the most advanced rca s3 like system....and technically ntsc as well?

No, the Visicom is an entirely different beast. It's based on the 1802 processor and uses an 1861 video chip (both like the Studio II), but it has it's own system to generate colours. It has two video pages (as opposed to one in the Studio II) and switches between them while an analogue circuit generates the colour. Amongst other things, the code for the games on this system is quite different so that the games for the Visicom are totally incompatible with the other systems.

Since we know that the Studio II and III were more or less compatible, the Visicom seems to have been a largely independent development - other than supplying the chips, RCA seems to have had little or no input in its development.

• Like 2

I just noticed too in the above picture I posted. It appears to be an Apollo style cart sitting inside that tray or slot or whatever is at the top right of the protype unit.

I think I have mentioned that before in the huge amount of ramble that's occurred on here. :P

But also remember that the Academy Apollo 80 Box and Manual has a photo of the system which has the "Victory III" label on it.. which if I remember correctly from this topic was the prototype name for the "Euro clones"

Edited by TLD1985
  • Like 1

Ah, you probably did but I forgot about it.

The cart in the prototype pic does look a little different than the academy carts. Would be interesting if it had rca wording on that 1. Could be the Apollo carts design were what rca was going to do.

I see the prototype console looks almost the same as the Apollo console except for the wood grain and that upper tray part. Even the little arrow things on the keypads are similar.