IGNORED

Should Nintendo release a DS player on the Wiiu?

I think that Nintendo should because more people would buy a Wiiu because of it(i would'nt buy one just because of that but it would make me want one more).It wasn't possible on the DS but the Wiiu has all the features the DS has(a dpad,ABYX buttons,select,start,LR buttons,and a microphone).So what do you think,is this possible or something Nintendo will never do?

When they did it for the Gamecube (Gameboy Advance Player), the GBA was a viable platform. They're in the process of killing off the DS/DSi. The 3DS is the current platform, and they want to sell games for it. So they're most likely not interested. The Gamecube was also designed with this kind of stuff in mind - with the bottom expansion connector. I have never turned over the Wii U, but I don't think it has that. If anything, they'll make the games available for re-purchase in an online store!

Hah, yeah it would. But since everything's going to the "pay and download" model, I doubt we'll ever see anything like the Gameboy Player, again.

I suppose there's sufficient resolution on HDTV screen to set up the dual stacked screens of the 3DS, without having to throw away any pixels?

I don't think they'll do this. The two platforms are too different. The 3D screen on the 3DS, the space between the screens, the circle pad vs. an analog, etc. It just seems like it would be an inferior way to play 3DS.

Now, I think next generation this won't just be an option, it will be the only option. My predicition is the next Nintendo console will be a tablet/smart phone that had two cradles. One with circle pads, buttons, etc. to make it a viable handheld (think something like the circlepad add on with buttons), and the other a docking/charging station that outputs to TV and works with controllers (like the Neo Geo X Gold). You buy one Nintendo system and have your handheld and console.

• Like 1

Now, I think next generation this won't just be an option, it will be the only option. My predicition is the next Nintendo console will be a tablet/smart phone that had two cradles. One with circle pads, buttons, etc. to make it a viable handheld (think something like the circlepad add on with buttons), and the other a docking/charging station that outputs to TV and works with controllers (like the Neo Geo X Gold). You buy one Nintendo system and have your handheld and console.

I almost see this happening. One of Nintendo's strengths is that they've always dominated the portable scene. Competition from Atari, Sega, and Sony didn't even make them blink, and I think only iOS/Android has made them sweat. Their traditional consoles have been more varied, but have always been profitable thanks to their IPs. If they're going to compete against Sony/MS at home and against Apple/Android on the road, it might make sense to pool their resources and cut their production costs. It *could* work. Plus, in about six years, both the Wii-U and 3DS will be VERY old, and replacing both with one system might be appealing.

Might not happen, but it's a much more sound business plan than "Nintendo should go software-only". It's been almost a week since I last heard that one.

• Like 1

Lego City Undercover and one Mario\Zelda game every 3 years isn't going to cut it.

I will buy a Wii U eventually when it has something I want to play but its pretty bad right now.

Anything to make it more appealing would help but since the DS has been pirated to death who really would care?

I'd love to see some unique RPG's on the Wii U. Sadly I dont think it may be a focus right now.

Edited by cimerians

I'd love it, but it would be too challenging for them to do with justice. Many games constantly bounce between both screens live (i.e., Contra 4), and it would be nearly impossible to play them. The only way I could see them doing it is by emulating both screens on your main TV. But the pictures would be a bit small that way.

Lego City Undercover and one Mario\Zelda game every 3 years isn't going to cut it.

I will buy a Wii U eventually when it has something I want to play but its pretty bad right now.

Anything to make it more appealing would help but since the DS has been pirated to death who really would care?

I'd love to see some unique RPG's on the Wii U. Sadly I dont think it may be a focus right now.

Xenoblade 2 is coming, and you could always get Xenoblade 1 and the Last Story from the Wii from last year, and Pandora's Tower (Wii again) when it comes out this spring.

I was just thinking it would have been cool if the Wii-U had a slot for DS games, and you could just play DS carts on a combination of the tablet & TV. Wouldn't make any economic sense for Nintendo, but it would have been a neat gizmo. The Wii-U is already a kind of kitchen sink anyways... The DS has such a great library.

Had my Wii U for one weekend, and I've probably never had such a bad first impression of a console. Multiple system & app updates, lots of things crashing and locking up, terrible, confusing interface, lots of waiting, the whole Wii->WiiU data transfer was a PITA and I ended up cancelling at the last minute... Didn't like the few minutes I actually got to play in Nintendo Land. Hoping some other games change my mind, I grabbed a couple demos and I'll give a few a rental. I love Nintendo, but this system is a mess. Probably why I was thinking "it'd be neat to have this as a DS Player."

Both screens don't have to be displayed on the tv. The bottom screen would surely be streamed to the Wii U's gamepad with its touch screen while the 4:3 top screen of the DS would usually be pillarboxed and be the only thing displayed on the top screen (Or the 16:9 upper screen of the 3DS being displayed full screen).

With the rare exception of a game that spreads its gamefield across both screens (Yoshi's Island DS for an example) and games where you're spending the vast majority of your time looking at the touch screen (Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks for some examples), I think it would work well.

And for games like Yoshi's Island DS, they could provide the option to stick both screens onto your tv. It wouldn't be much different feeling than playing a 3:4 vertically oriented arcade game on a 16:9 tv and that works just fine.

And for the 3D aspect, wouldn't it be possible to tap into the 3D capabilities of many modern HDTV's? And an analog stick versus the analog circle pad slider of the 3DS certainly isn't a problem.

Edited by Atariboy

If they did make a 3DS player for Wii U, I would definitely buy it. The 3DS is getting more (and better) games than Wii U at this point, and some of us prefer playing on a TV screen instead of on a handheld.