IGNORED

Apple II for science and astronomy

Keatah

Presenting...

The Planetary Guide and The Star Gazer's Guide

post-4806-0-55646100-1362712613_thumb.jpg

I finally "re-found" these after having misplaced them for over 10 years! Here are two of the early attempts on the Apple II at astronomical education and practical usage, like viewing constellation charts.

These programs come from a time when it was common to glean more knowledge from the instruction manual rather than the program itself. The manuals were quite informative; with the program serving as a way to provide interaction with the illustrations and charts. It was as if you were purchasing the book rather than a program. And they were appropriately priced at around 15 to 22 dollars. Quite reasonable considering games usually went for 29 to 39.

I remember doing two or three science class presentations using these as backgrounds and visual aids and that sort of thing. It was great having the computer off to the side doing something while I lectured and taught the class. These were two programs, despite their simplicity, that had introduced me to the whole idea of using computers in astronomical research. Quite the different experience than playing Lunar Lander and pretending to be an astronaut. (which is still fun by the way)

Well.. I still remember - one wet and raining day, at the planetarium, I saw these on the shelf and bought both home with me. These and a meteorite sample. It truly was bringing home a piece of the heavens!

• Like 4

The Planetary Guide and The Star Gazer's Guide are done by Synergistic Software. And as far as I know, they're among the few astronomy programs made for the 2 series. Going through my stuff shows a pitifully small amount of astro software. Anyone know of anything more? Either book based type-ins or .dsk images?

post-4806-0-30999000-1362788126_thumb.jpg

^^^^^^..pretty lame ain't it?

Edited by Keatah

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...