IGNORED

Atari Computer Groups

Hi everyone! It's been a while since I last visited this forum but wanted to ask about something. I was reading Free Software for your Atari Computer a while back and was enticed by all the findings in that book. What was once information can now be called a look into computer history. What sparked my interest the most was the large number of Atari computer groups that existed. I never got the chance to be a part of such a group when the book was published (I believe it has a date of 1982) but it sounded like a lot of fun. About the closest I ever got was when I found a XEGS complete with keyboard, two floppy drives, a program recorder, OkiData color printer, a 1200 baud modem, and few programs on disk and cartridge. It also came with a few program cassettes one of which was how to program in Atari BASIC. I think I gave like $40 bucks for it in 1998 and out of curiosity I connected the modem and proceeded to find another Atari to answer.

I found one place in Florida that responded. I chatted with them while downloading new games for my Atari. It was a lot of fun but also ran up the phone bill to $61 dollars. I remember that well because I was living with my Grandmother at the time and she about threw a fit over the bill and forbid me to do that anymore. Sadly, I sold the whole thing off locally when she needed one of her meds she couldn't afford. But it was fun and I would like to do something similar like that again. But, for now, my original question is more important to me: Do Atari computer groups, using the Atari 8-bits (or 16-bits), still exist? If not, would it be hard to start one up again?

Before I finish, I have taken a few things into account to consider. First, phone charges. These should be non-existent in most areas with today's internet/phone/cable packages. Some of the major service providers offer free local and long-distance calls which I will have to look into to see if data transfers are a part of those services. Second, today's servers. I know that Atari computers can't work with today's internet information but what if a server could be a single-connection for getting lots of software for the Atari computers? Just some food for thought and I would love to hear others' thoughts on the subject. I know we have Atari Age for our Atari needs but it would be really cool if some of the events from decades ago were still happening. Oh...and I used BobTerm for calling that place in Florida of which I have no memory of who exactly I called.

You will find this of interest:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/174831-atari-8-bit-related-bbss/page__hl__%20atari%20%20bbs

Best way is to forget direct connection with a modem and instead connect the 8-bit to the internet and telnet in. Avoid all the nasty long-distance phone charges of old.