IGNORED

Possibilities of the Atari Falcon040...

July 1993 Atari ST User...

Jaguar's Computer Role....

"...they indicate that Atari's future product line will include computer's based on Jaguar technology."

------------

The Atari Falcon Micro040 has a LOT of slots on the motherboard....

maybe they 'really' were tinkering with the idea of using an upgraded CPU and designing a 'killer' system using some updated Jaguar chipsets.

It would have been an awesome computer for it's minute! :)

32MB of Ram, 040 running at what? 32mhz or more, the DSP ...

enhanced graphics system utilizing Jaguar's chipsets and then some....

I just read on atari-history that Curt is awaiting a fully functional board.

It will be interesting to see what chips will cometh with the system :)

Clint Thompson

Yea... it's a real shame that Atari gave up so easily....

I guess it's more along the lines that it's the people within Atari that truly gave up......

One thing I will never overcome are the 8bit line of Atari compters... Atari 800... no special hardware ever was needed, it was ready to "ROCK" right out of the box! I never did understand how the IBM machines could even compare with monochrome graphics the majority of the time... heh....

back to the 040... the Micron case is 'OK' in my opinion, but they needed to have a CD-ROM built in.... I'm not sure why but it didn't seem like Atari was thinking Multimedia very much... as the claimed the system (falcon) to be. They should have made a variety of packages and some including CD-ROM drives... it's all about options in the end.

Most people complained about the Falcon's case (I particularly love it) but they should have kept the case the darker color/black looking one that they showed and the keys should have been refined to have sort of that 'click' going, then it would have been practically perfect! ;)

However, it would have been really cool surfing the net back in 94/95 on a Falcon040 with the Jags enhancements and a CD-ROM full-blown package!

:)

Clint Thompson

Yea... it's a real shame that Atari gave up so easily....  

I guess it's more along the lines that it's the people within Atari that truly gave up......

One thing I will never overcome are the 8bit line of Atari compters... Atari 800...  no special hardware ever was needed, it was ready to "ROCK" right out of the box! I never did understand how the IBM machines could even compare with monochrome graphics the majority of the time...  heh....

back to the 040... the Micron case is 'OK' in my opinion, but they needed to have a CD-ROM built in.... I'm not sure why but it didn't seem like Atari was thinking Multimedia very much... as the claimed the system (falcon) to be.  They should have made a variety of packages and some including CD-ROM drives...  it's all about options in the end.  

Most people complained about the Falcon's case (I particularly love it) but they should have kept the case the darker color/black looking one that they showed and the keys should have been refined to have sort of that 'click' going, then it would have been practically perfect! ;)

However, it would have been really cool surfing the net back in 94/95 on a Falcon040 with the Jags enhancements and a CD-ROM full-blown package!  

:)

Clint Thompson

Hey Clint,

I'm not a big fan of the Falcon case or the feel of the keyboard. I definitely prefer my TT. However, the Falcon is a lot more fun to play with than the TT. :)

Would have been VERY cool if that 040 saw the light of day..... Ho hum, another woulda coulda shoulda story of Atari...

Jason

Hey Clint,

I'm not a big fan of the Falcon case or the feel of the keyboard.  I definitely prefer my TT.  However, the Falcon is a lot more fun to play with than the TT.  :)

I think I'm one of the few that love the XE/ST feel of the keyboard. :D

Would have been VERY cool if that 040 saw the light of day..... Ho hum, another woulda coulda shoulda story of Atari...

Jason

Right. But, maybe it's also this that make Atari history so fascinating to us?

:D ;)

Hey Clint,

I'm not a big fan of the Falcon case or the feel of the keyboard.  I definitely prefer my TT.  However, the Falcon is a lot more fun to play with than the TT.  :)

I think I'm one of the few that love the XE/ST feel of the keyboard. :D

Jason

Right. But, maybe it's also this that make Atari history so fascinating to us?

:D ;)

A VERY valid point! :)