IGNORED

emulator on the Sega CD

walter_J64bit

Thats an interesting idea.

Does the Genny/CD have the power to emulate anything I wonder?

Side note, I'm surprised there's not more Sega CD homebrews, because the medium is much easier to get a hold of than ROM chips, plus you could have redbook audio for those who like to just listen to VG music. Even if they weren't "CD" games and just cart games on CD, like say Wolfchild or Earnest Evans basically were.

In theory, the Sega CD should be able to emulate at least a few systems. I ran an Apple II emulator on a Mac Plus, so with the right programming mastery something similar should be possible on a Sega CD. In imaginary land, it should be possible to do more than what was capable on a Mac Plus because the Sega CD and Genesis combo provides multiple CPUs and graphics processing that the Mac Plus lacked.

But that's all very speculative :D

In theory, the Sega CD should be able to emulate at least a few systems. I ran an Apple II emulator on a Mac Plus, so with the right programming mastery something similar should be possible on a Sega CD. In imaginary land, it should be possible to do more than what was capable on a Mac Plus because the Sega CD and Genesis combo provides multiple CPUs and graphics processing that the Mac Plus lacked.

But that's all very speculative :D

I was thinking maybe things like the 2600 or older Arcade games or some older handhelds or a way not having to use Sega Power Base Converter. :grin:

I'm still leaning towards the Sega CD being used as an EverDrive so to speak.

For the Sega Arcade Classics pack-in disc, did they re-program those games from scratch for the Sega CD? I seriously doubt it, I assume they just used the ROM code from the original carts and modified here and there for the new sounds programmed into the games, maybe I'm wrong though.

Anyway, assuming they are not complete re-builds of the game code, and I'm no programmer, but those who are should be able to find out how those 'ports' were done and a similar style game could be made with MANY more games on it. However many will fit in 700MB I guess. Plus they won't need those add-ons like the 'improved sound' Sega Arcade Classics' games supposedly had.

But if you wanted to go that route you could too, by adding a CD Quality soundtrack to whatever games you wanted.

Edited by Torr
  • Like 1

I'm still leaning towards the Sega CD being used as an EverDrive so to speak.

For the Sega Arcade Classics pack-in disc, did they re-program those games from scratch for the Sega CD? I seriously doubt it, I assume they just used the ROM code from the original carts and modified here and there for the new sounds programmed into the games, maybe I'm wrong though.

Anyway, assuming they are not complete re-builds of the game code, and I'm no programmer, but those who are should be able to find out how those 'ports' were done and a similar style game could be made with MANY more games on it. However many will fit in 700MB I guess. Plus they won't need those add-ons like the 'improved sound' Sega Arcade Classics' games supposedly had.

But if you wanted to go that route you could too, by adding a CD Quality soundtrack to whatever games you wanted.

Well look at Sonic Megamix. It started out as a Genesis rom but they hacked it further, porting it to the Sega CD to expand the possible size of the content. They even included the original Sonic 1 game in it. So it has been done by someone before. That means ports of other Genesis games to Sega CD are possible, but they would probably have to be done one by one.

theloon, we sure can code stuff with BasiEgaXorz for the MegaCD, but there is still some stuff to learn about the MegaCD.

To others even the Mega Drive can emulate other "machines" still within it's own limits.

For example years ago at a Retro Party here in Europe I had the chance to see some "emulators" running on the stock MD, prove of concepts.

But one of the emulators got my eyes because it ran on a modified MD. It was a classicGB emulator thou it only ran small PD roms it ran full speed sadly with no sound and was loaded via MegaCD.

Since I see here that the SMB4MD was mentioned, The same author, Mairtrus, has coded a NES "emulator" for MD supporting Mapper0 only and has no sound.

Edited by Mekanaizer