IGNORED

Rank the homebrews

Cousin Vinnie

I'm sure anyone who has a homebrew will be happy to answer this thread...but they might have some difficulty in responding to your idea of "worth". Hardcore fans might not balk at spending $40 for a semi-playable game; modern gaming fans might be disappointed with a game for an aged system that doesn't nearly have the play value of a title for one of the newer consoles. You know from other threads that I think that Lexis is well worth its $40 price tag because it is 1) unique 2) extremely playable and 3) features a hidden bonus game of "Galaxian", but it has received some negative word-of-mouth.

Perhaps someone can comment on the other homebrew titles.

You got the classic homebrew quandry. Newbies generally buy the system because it is awesome for the value, the great games can be had for a song or at least cheaper than the homebrews. Unless you are the hardcore collector or the game is that good, it makes little sense shelling out $50 for a game (see my post in the Centipede thread). That being said, there are a few homebrews that are excellent. Cybervirus is actually quite advanced and I like the mission based scenarios. Championship Rally is very good and if you like Scrabble then Lexis is definitely worth your time.

That being said, there are a few homebrews that are excellent.  Cybervirus is actually quite advanced  and I like the mission based scenarios. Championship Rally is very good and if you like Scrabble then Lexis is definitely worth your time.

First you need to define "homebrew". Lexis and CyberVirus shouldn't count as these were mostly coded by companies, not individuals. I also

limit it to those completed/sold. With that in mind, my list would be:

T-Tris

Championship Rally

Lynx Othello

Remnant

Ponx

Your list may vary - it is based on my opinions anyway.

Harry

Harry,

if your list was without ranking the homebrews ("top five"-list),

then you have forgotten to mention SFX, SIMIS and Sokomania.

I know that SIMIS is available at least over Telegames in the states,

but i'm not user about Sokomania (perhaps Songbird?). Songbird also sells SFX (of course).

Matthias

I tried to activate the Galaxian game but without success. How do you hold the Lynx-vertical or horizontal? What screen you start with the code? How do you know you are successful. I was at the table of contents, pressed LRLRDU, Opt1 and and then Opt. 2 then started the pages game. Nothing. Just played a game of Lexis.

Harry,

I know that SIMIS is available at least over Telegames in the states,  

but i'm not user about Sokomania (perhaps Songbird?). Songbird also sells SFX (of course).

Matthias

That was a ranked list... the "top 5" in my opinion. Maybe I should have numbered them.

Hello Harry!

Harry,

That was a ranked list... the "top 5" in my opinion. Maybe I should have numbered them.

Sorry, i have seen my fault now, in fact it was just a false expectation after you had talked about the definition which game is "homebrew" and which is not:

First you need to define "homebrew". Lexis and CyberVirus shouldn't count as these were mostly coded by companies, not individuals. I also  

limit it to those completed/sold. With that in mind, my list would be:  

T-Tris  

Championship Rally  

Lynx Othello  

Remnant  

Ponx  

I expected a complete list of homebrews following your definition (homebrew = coded by single (hobby-) developers) and have overseen your "With that in mind, my list would be: " statement.

Perhaps a CarriageReturn would have helped me ;-)

Matthias

I tried to activate the Galaxian game but without success. How do you hold the Lynx-vertical or horizontal? What screen you start with the code? How do you know you are successful. I was at the table of contents, pressed LRLRDU, Opt1 and and then Opt. 2 then started the pages game. Nothing. Just played a game of Lexis.  

I had the very same problem and contacted Carl Forhan to clarify these instructions. He indicated that the "trick" is that the code must be entered very quickly and without pauses; the Lynx is held vertically (e.g. "starting" mode) while the code is entered.

I tried this myself and achieved success only after about 10 or so tries.

When the code works, a speical "bonus" level will appear with the word "scientology" at the bottom. When the missing letter (a "t", I believe) is filled, the "Galaxian" game is started. It's a great bonus, but there's no sound and the game is incredibly hard. I haven't got past the third "Galaxian" level.

Hope this helps!