IGNORED

Nintendo TVii

Mendon

I haven't used the TVii feature much at all since getting my Wii U... tried it out during the Oscar's and Super Bowl and it was sort of fun but not that impressive to me.

But now that I'm watching the NCAA tournament, my opinion has changed. I've been using TVii while watching the games and it has really been a nice feature to have. Everything from shots diagramed to running game stat's to scores of other games is included. Plus you can get into a running conversation with other TVii users who are watching the game and that's been kind of fun.

As I said, I haven't used the feature much at all and never while watching a regular TV program. But after the fun I've had using it during the tournament, I plan on trying it out tonight while watching The Walking Dead and see what (if anything) it brings to the show.

Anyone else using TVii much?

• 7 months later...

New concept:

What if Universal Remote or Logitech's Harmony designed a WiiWare App that let the user create a custom remote layout on their Wii U tablet? It'd probably be more full-featured than anything Nintendo plans to put out, and be better supported in the long run. Both companies make iOS products, so this isn't TOO much of a reach to ponder.

• 1 month later...

I don't have a cable box, and thus I don't get regular TV (I stream whatever I can from YouTube and Netflix). However, last night I decided to finally activate the TVii function anyway, and in a couple of seconds I had my Wii U game pad controlling the volume and powering my television on and off. Kind of cool if you ask me, even if it's not all that useful for my situation.

I really hope this gets updated this year. It may not be a killer app, but a versitile Tvii service would go a long way to making the Wii U relevant with adult buyers.

They apparently released an update.. last week, I think? I'm not 100% sure what changed, but I read a system notification about it the other night.