IGNORED

Mega ST2 Bombs when powered on

I have an old ST2 that bombs out when powered on. Most of the time its 3 bombs, sometimes 2, then sometimes looks like the bombs never end.. Ive reseated everything, from TOS to video shifter, every chip that was removable was taken out.. Removed the floppy, had no KB attached and still have the same outcome. Any suggestions on where to look next?

I guess I could try swapping chips with my ST4, but only as a last resort.

Triads

Things I would check in order:-

1) Does it need re-capping? Check the PSU, are there any caps with bulging tops - it's 90% chance you need to change the capacitors in it. I've seen the symptoms you are getting many many times in the ST, Mega and STe and its nearly always capacitors that have lost electrolyte.

2) If you've got more than 1Mb of RAM, try removing some of the memory - I don't know if the Mega uses SIMMS or not? Ideally if you had 1 x 1Mb SIMM, you could take 2 out and retest it. If it still doesn't work properly, swap the 2 SIMMS still in there and re-try. If you've got onboard DRAM chips it's quite a bit of pain as you would need to socket them all and replace each chip... A painful experience i've had to do on an Amiga 500 recently =|

I think it's very likely the PSU.