IGNORED

Atari 800 and video to a monitor

LDA#$AF

What's the best way to use the Atari with a 15-pin monitor instead of a television - or can you point me to a location where this is discussed?

I am currently using an ATI TV card in my PC then sending the Atari output to the TV card, but it's doesn't give that great of a picture - although it's suitable for watching TV. Is there a TV card that will give me a better picture or some other hardware that works well?

The most usefull method would probably be through a tv card, monitors run off of RGB and atari (and all other game systems) run off of composite (which is basically S-Video)

in order to convert Composite to RGB you need an Up Converter which can be found online for around us$250 (too pricey for my blood) although it would give the best picture and with an input selector you could hook up many game systems for hi-res graphics.

so it wouldf look like this:

game system1---

game system2-----input switch----Up converter----monitor

game system3---/

another thing you could use with this setup is an A/B switch between the converter and the monitor you that you could still use the monitor with your computer

I know that you can find input switches at Wal-mart for about us$20 (although it had the names for the current game systems written on the buttons) and an A/B switch can be found online at http://www.cablesnmor.com/goto/video-switch-box.html

without the converter the setup would only cost around us$30 but the converter is the expensive part... I know there used to be one called a Cheese Box that was around us$69

anyhow, hope this helps, as you can tell I've thought about all this before