IGNORED

Fathom is not an intuitive game

So I'm embarrassed to say I have never tried Fathom and I know absolutely nothing about it. Today I decided I'd try to figure it out without reading anything about it, especially the instructions.

I began my aquatic adventure by inspecting the front of the box for clues as to my objectives:

1. There is a mermaid trapped in some sort of a cage

2. There is some sort of bird that seems to be morphing into a dolphin

I could only assume that my goal is to evolve from a bird into a fish and somewhere in between I'm supposed to make out with a mermaid. Got it.

Round 1:

So I pop the game in and begin to play. Apparently I'm a duck of some sort and a yellow dolphin is trying to rape me. The only buttons that seem to do anything are the disc and 0 (status screen). After playing with the disc for a bit (trying to escape the eager dolphin) I realize that it kinda works like wing flapping. Down doesn't seem to dive, so I try going to the left, where I fly into the volcano and die. OK, I should have know better. Volcanoes melt ducks. Got it.

Round 2:

The yellow dolphin seems to be heading to the left, so maybe it's not trying to rape me at all, but rather telling me to go left. I think I heard somewhere that dolphins try to help you get out of danger. So I head left. Another volcano. Not this time, Pele! So I can't go right or left and can't dive......maybe I can go over the volcano? I fly up out of the initial screen and, alas, I enter the jet stream, which is apparently a crowded duck super-highway. I soar like 5 screens up and hit some sort of barrier (glass ceiling for lame ducks?) that plunges me back to the sea. Maybe my goal is to ram other ducks? Survival of the fittest seems kinda evolution-y and overpowering other ducks seems like a good way to impress a mermaid. Nope! This only turns me black and kills me.

Round 3:

Fly with the ducks, because may they know where to go? Nope. I eventually get hit enough times to kill me.

Round 4:

I'm going to check the overlay for clues.....apparently I'm a seagull. Also, the disc apparently controls the dolphin as well, but how?

Clues on the back of the box? Ah, there is an underwater world as well, but how do I get there?

This game is not very intuitive....time to read the instructions....

• Like 1

Jason has basically got inside my head and verbalized the exact same conversation I've had with myself every time I've played Fathom which is usually just to do a quick play testing when I'm selling one of my copies. Lol! :)

(Not sure I thought the dolphin was trying to ass rape me but to each his own) :)

You guys are so lucky. Can someone post a game play video for those of us that don't have the game? As of now, the only mental pictures I have of this game were the ones painted by Jason's post--and they are wild!

dZ.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I must say that, in spite of its strange game-play mechanics, it looks rather beautiful.

dZ.

Of course it looks beautiful. It is an Imagic game! :)

Imagic games are like Pink Floyd music, sometimes experimental and difficult to grasp but eventually beautiful.

Higher art.

Of course it looks beautiful. It is an Imagic game! :)

Imagic games are like Pink Floyd music, sometimes experimental and difficult to grasp but eventually beautiful.

Higher art.

That's actually a great analogy!

Fathom is unfathomable? You should try playing Microsurgeon without a manual..

LOL! When I got my first TI-99 4/A I got the Microsurgeon cart but nothing else. Popped it in, eager to play.......had heard so many great things about the game......was immediately stumped!

• Like 1