IGNORED

ToD Editor stuff

Opry99er

here's where you adjust it...

post-12959-0-67076900-1364948007_thumb.png

Note how all the FIAD options grey out - that's also a (admittedly subtle) hint that it's in the right mode.

The mode is set per disk, so you can have both folders and images mounted on different drives at the same time.

(I'm getting carried away on my replies)...

Note if you don't change the mode - the filename is actually DROPPED as Classic99 is only interested in the folder part:

post-12959-0-94852000-1364948121_thumb.png

Edited by Tursi

Yep... that did it. =) THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Now I'm looking forward to editing Dark Tower or Quest for the King (these have monster graphics and such... rather than starting from scratch, you're editing a game)

Monster names, graphics, abilities, quest items, armor, weapons, player capabilities, etc... The editor allows all these things, but it takes, literally, hours to get anywhere... Once you get the hang of it, though, it can be quite addicting.

I'm going to play with it when I get home... Work computer is sometimes watched. =) hehe

Awesome!! One thing that maybe I missed, but when I changed the name/description, the editor didn't load up the old one, it made me type it all from scratch. Does the editor just blindly wipe whatever you are about to edit in all cases, or does it load the old data for you first? It seems that would be more useful (but, Editor A is nearly out of memory, so I could understand if they didn't).

It DOES load graphics and statistics for editing. All text is wiped as you select the "edit" function. Each time you select a different edit screen, it saves what you just edited.

So, if you select to "edit" the text, it gets wiped (from what I remember).

I'll have to try to find my notes and printouts I did on this when I was hitting it hard. I do know for a fact that all graphics are pulled from disk and displayed so you can make minor adjustments (or major ones) if you choose.

At one point... years ago... I had this thing down to a science. I had all the little intricacies figured out and even started writing a supplementary manual including better descriptions of each function, what it did, how it acted, and what to expect in actual gameplay. I don't know if I have it anymore, but I'll look... I got probably 2-3 pages written and then got sidetracked by "real" programming projects... =) Thanks, Beryl, for screwing up my project!!!

One note from experience--this program used sector read/write routines, IIRC. It also meant that objects crossing sector boundaries sometimes had to be edited by hand. I learned how to do ALL of my TOD file editing using a sector editor and trial and error long before the TOD Editor was available, so it wasn't a real problem for me. Knowing where things were in the file allowed editing things that were out-of-bounds for the TOD Efitor too. I'll need to take a look-see in my surviving notebooks from that time period (the others were destroyed in a flood while I was living in Turkey) to see if I still have anything useful documented.

I found some amazing stuff on my hard drive that Codex was working on... I found his ToDR development kit and several converted games including the Star Trek one and K-MART. I also have his converted version of my original Beryl Reichardt ToD game.

It seems his converter kit for ToDR had all the hex and sector stuff worked out and it's essentially a plug and play kind of thing. It might be a nice start to reverse engineering the editor... His work was pretty incredible

• 2 weeks later...

Tursi, I've been having some success editing on the editor. =) Just out of curiosity, to make a game into a .dsk for editing purposes, you simply used TI99Dir to make that game file into a .dsk by itself, correct?

PENNIES is bereft of many elements of ToD gameplay like monster graphics and such... If I could start with QUEST or DARK-TOWER it would give me more of a substantial baseline to work with. =)

Thanks again for your help in getting this going. If all goes well, I hope to have my first new ToD game available for the community within a week or two. I have a couple other projects I'm working on right now as well, but variety is the spice of life... When I get tired of writing comparative equations based on baseball career statistics, I will design a monster and a quest item. =)

Owen

• 3 weeks later...