IGNORED

Disney puts the hammer to LucasArts :(

LucasArts didn't do the Lego games, that was Traveller's Tales.

Man, and I kept hoping for Battlefront 3 (attempt #2) to be released one day.

So, yeah, licensing. I guess we're going to see more Star Wars games than ever before. If you thought it was over-saturated during the Episode I days, you ain't seen nothing yet.

I don't see what the big deal is. With "LucasArts" printed in their resume, I expect those employees will find jobs elsewhere relatively easely. And such games as Days of the Tentacle and Monkey Island didn't necessarily fall into a dark hole forever, those properties are simply owned by Disney now. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney made an actual movie out of Monkey Island and then released a slew of "modern" Monkey Island video games alongside it.

Seems to me this piece of news is only raising eyebrows because it has Disney and LucasArts in the same sentence. We see dev houses go down quietly every year...

Seems to me this piece of news is only raising eyebrows because it has Disney and LucasArts in the same sentence. We see dev houses go down quietly every year...

It's not very often a dev house that has been around for over 30 years and had ties to our beloved Atari goes down.

Edited by FujiSkunk

I don't see what the big deal is. With "LucasArts" printed in their resume, I expect those employees will find jobs elsewhere relatively easely. And such games as Days of the Tentacle and Monkey Island didn't necessarily fall into a dark hole forever, those properties are simply owned by Disney now. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney made an actual movie out of Monkey Island and then released a slew of "modern" Monkey Island video games alongside it.

Come on now. They have been around since the 80's and they weren't bastards like EA lately either. Some of the best developers and games we've seen came from them at one time. Its only natural besides its the name thats been around for so damn long....yes, they really havent done anything lately of course but come on man...show some compassion. It's not like its a great job market for anyone, including devs.

Even if LucasArts hasn't produced any great titles in the past several years, it's still sad to see them close. I had a great time playing every one of their Atari 8-bit titles, and each was a quality game that really pushed the hardware. And of course just about all of their earlier PC games, both adventure games and the Star Wars games, were wonderful for the most part.

..Al

• Like 1

While you made a red square, It was under publisher. Gregory DG meant by LucasArts didn't do the Lego games was the fact Lucasarts didn't Develop them.

LucasArt not Developing the lego Star Wars games meant the only thing LucasArts was involved with the game was releasing. That basically meant LucasArts had nothing to do with the game from a developing standpoint and LucasArts outsourced the game.

I also have a list to show you. The list has games that Travellers Tales developed and it included Lego Star Wars: The complete Saga.

Link to list:

http://www.mobygames...d/developed-by/

Edited by 8th lutz
  • Like 1

no one ever said it was developed by LucasArts. but it is a LucasArts game. otherwise, you can say this is not an EA game. or not a Microsoft game. Or not any other game.

People say that all the time. Activision published Guitar Hero but really it's a Red Octane game. EA published Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit but people know it's a Criterion game.

Video game publisher names don't really mean all that much any more, except to show they've turned into middle men, just like most big movie "studios."

• Like 1

I think more people associate Guitar Hero with Activision than Red Octane. You hear Activision's Guitar Hero. You don't hear Red Octane's Guitar Hero. go through Google.

Same for Need for Speed Hot Pursuit. do a good search and it's EA's Need for Speed. Not Criterion's Need for Speed.

Same for the majority of games out there. You good Uncharted and you see Sony's Uncharted. Not Naugthy Dog's Uncharted. Halo is Microsoft Studios. Not 343 Industries.

you're just trying to be pedantic for argument's sake...

Edited by onlysublime

I don't pay attention to who publishes a title,I look at who the developer is on one.

A publisher is just a name to me that I recognize at times.I look at the title and graphics and features before I buy.If the developer is one like Rebellion or someone I recognize it may sway me me to buy it or not.But I love nice graphics and features.

But yes, Lucasarts wasn't the one doing stuff on the games i was buying with the SW name on them,it was Krome Studios or Rebellion or someone else.Lucasarts just got the publisher credit

along with the developer of the stuff I loved playing.Lucasarts may've licensed and helped finance the effort but,they weren't the developer that coded it.They may've helped supply image stock

too on it.Lucasarts/Lucasfilm has a HUGE achive of SW images and sound samples to offer a developer out there. ;)

• Like 1

I wasn't actually huge on the early, true LucasArts games, but I still find this incredibly sad news. How hard would it have been for Disney to restructure, rather than completely destroy? Maybe very hard, I don't know.

I desperately want a _great_ Battlefront 3. I've seen the leaked video of how cool it was coming along...but I want it to be polished like Battlefront II was. Not garbage like the developer's next project along those lines, Pandemic studio's Lord of the Rings battle craptastic game. And Pandemic kind of got gutted / rearranged by EA, so who knows if a great Battlefront is even a possibility any more.

I'm still sad about Midway getting closed down. Even though I think that WB is doing a very nice job with the licenses they have (really loved the latest MK and Hydro Thunder), it's still heartwrenching.

post-26714-0-07441600-1365221573_thumb.jpg

I don't pay attention to who publishes a title,I look at who the developer is on one.

yes, because everyone thinks of Pandemic Studios when they think Star Wars: Battlefront.

this is one of those things that is a "we agree to disagree."

I'm sure Harmonix is happy that you guys think of Red Octane's Guitar Hero.

yes, because everyone thinks of Pandemic Studios when they think Star Wars: Battlefront.

For me it was Rock Band: Unplugged by Backbone Entertainment on PSP. ;)

I think of Rebellion for SW stuff in my old PSP days on that (for Battlefront). :)

Or also,Krome Studios for SW: The Force Unleashed

I've "learned" to look at developers in the last 5 years. It's important to know the difference and who is behind the talent and actually doing the games since that talent often leaves and goes on to other projects or forms another studio.

Sadly most people look at the stupid box which the publisher stamps there name on and thinks otherwise. Like Bantam Books wrote Lord of the Rings or something.

Up until recently Publishers would enslave developers in some case by "owning" them and whatever games they make. Buying them out if you will and the former owners of the development studio cashing in and opening up another studio....or quitting and suing the publisher for not paying them. There's been all sorts of deals.

Developers who can afford to "publish" there own games.....like a lot of them are doing through Kickstarter are becoming more and more recognizable.

Sadly as long as there is physical media or some other distribution channel Publishers will still throw money at someone so they can get there name stamped on a box or on an opening sequence.

Lucasfilm's The Eidolon is a masterpiece, best played with the Atari on the floor operating the space bar with your big toe (it gets pretty frantic later)

anybody have a tutorial on how to play that game? I'd be interested. it's as if LucasFilm Games intentionally made that game require an instruction manual after all the piracy with the other titles.

Speaking of paying attention to developers...

Harmonix hasn't had anything to do with Guitar Hero since GH:80s. :)

Edited by FujiSkunk

Speaking of paying attention to developers...

Harmonix hasn't had anything to do with Guitar Hero since GH:80s. :)

that's what I was getting at with calling it Red Octane's Guitar Hero. the truth of the matter was that Red Octane hired Harmonix to write software for their plastic guitars. then they replaced Harmonix with Neversoft. But the guy was arguing that you can't call it Activision's Guitar Hero but that it should be called Red Octane's Guitar Hero. It just goes to show that calling it whatever you want to call it is just an exercise in being pedantic.

We may have to again agree to disagree. You call it "pedantic," I call it giving credit where due.

Harmonix was largely responsible for the code behind the first three Guitar Hero games, but as you mentioned, they were hired guns by Red Octane, who created the instruments and came up with the game concept. Of course that could also be a stretch, since the game borrows heavily from Konami's GuitarFreaks.

Whichever way, if you want to call it Guitar Hero by Red Octane and Harmonix, that's okay with me. That's still more accurate than calling it Guitar Hero by Activision, especially since Activision bought Red Octane after the first GH was initially released.

Edited by FujiSkunk