IGNORED

The Presidents' Day First Mothers Challenge!

davidcalgary29

--- The Presidents' Day First Mothers Challenge! ---

The first person who correctly names the following First Mothers will win a boxed (in bad shape) copy of "Wolfenstein 3D" and a loose cart of "T2K" for the Atari Jaguar. Yes! Yes! YES!

HINT: Not all answers may refer to American leaders!

1. This woman's son was elected to a one-term presidential term. She was widely admired and respected and was known for her charm, grace, and determination.

FAMOUS QUOTE: "Sure I'm for helping the elderly. I'm going to be old myself one day."

INTERESTING FACT: She joined the Peace Corps at age 68 and travelled to India to help the less fortunate. Her skills acquired from years as a Nurse no doubt helped her in her various tasks.

2. This woman's son was a flamboyant leader who enraged as many people as he charmed. He was famously criticized for "flipping the bird" to a crowd of protesters in a small town.

FAMOUS QUOTE: None that we know of, but she probably could have quipped in one of the several languages that she could speak fluently.

INTERESTING FACT: She was proud of her Scottish roots and insisted that her son visit and develop ties to her ancestral home.

3. This woman's son and his wife were almost equally famous in their time. This First Mother was a member of the Hudson River Aristocracy and was sixth cousin to her husband.

FAMOUS QUOTE: She would have been far too circumspect to make any public comment.

INTERESTING FACT: Her father made -- and lost -- a fortune in the Chinese tea trade, and she sailed to China as a child. She attended school outside of the United States and was a regular in the social scenes of Paris and London.

4. This woman's daughter became leader of her country in the waning days of the twentieth century.

FAMOUS QUOTE: She has preferred to keep out of the spotlight ; her daughter did, however, keep pundits and columnists busy in her time.

5. This woman was a true American pioneer. She spent much of her life in Missouri, establishing homes in and around the western part of the state.

FAMOUS QUOTE: She was always far too busy to think of entertaining a quote for the popular press.

INTERESTING FACT: She raised a future president in a home that was only 20 x 28. This house was donated by the UAW to the state of Missouri in 1959 and it is now a National Historic Site.

6. This woman's son inherited a difficult legacy in a time of change.

FAMOUS QUOTE: None has been recorded, though like all First Mothers she was a remarkable woman and had much to say.

INTERESTING FACT: She was a fiercely amibtious woman and placed a high value on education; she no doubt influenced her son's own political agenda.

i have no idea about #4.  

The "interesting fact" about #4 was mysteriously ommitted. here it is:

INTERESTING FACT: "When my daughter was Minister of Justice, she was photographed in a very low-cut off-sleeve evening gown and appeared to be naked in the final photograph. Her political critics were delighted...and some speculate that it was one of a series of poor choices that led directly to her catastrophic electoral defeat in 1993"

The "interesting fact" about #4 was mysteriously ommitted. here it is:

INTERESTING FACT: "When my daughter was Minister of Justice, she was photographed in a very low-cut off-sleeve evening gown and appeared to be naked in the final photograph. Her political critics were delighted...and some speculate that it was one of a series of poor choices that led directly to her catastrophic electoral defeat in 1993"

Oh, then I'd have to change my answer on #4 and say that it is Kim Campbell's mother. I have no idea what her name is...something Douglass...Phaedra Douglass maybe?--Total guess.

1.Lilian Carter  

2.Grace Trudeau  

3.Sara Roosevelt  

4.Phyllis Campbell  

5.Mary Truman  

6.Rebekah Baines Johnson  

It looks like we have a wiener! Congratulations on getting that 'gold star' in "Obscure Political History 101"! Snorlaxnut, PM your address to me and I'll send off your two Jag games ASAP. ;)

It looks like we have a wiener! Congratulations on getting that 'gold star' in "Obscure Political History 101"! Snorlaxnut, PM your address to me and I'll send off your two Jag games ASAP.  ;)

Thanks! I just PMed you my address twice by mistake. I can't believe nobody took a chance at this contest in the past few days.