IGNORED

WTF? SMS Montezuma's Revenge sold for $600+

Psionic

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3606246727251?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=360624672725&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

This should have sold for about $60, but apparently at least two people though it was worth $600. Am I missing something here? :?

It's factory sealed and it wasn't the only SMS game to go for crazy amounts yesterday. It looks like two resellers/VGA types got into a bidding war on a bunch of Sega Master stuff from the same seller. That seller's NES stuff has been going for crazy amounts recently too.

Plan on getting them too only have the Harmony and NDS/GBA carts

As for SMS I do not have the console but if there is a good Flash/Multi cart I might I am never going to spend that kind of money $ 600+ wow for 1 game

Oh lord.

The SMS is another console I neglect to much. The feel of the controller is great, almost as good as the NES pad and the cases are really nice, though the actual cartridges are a bit bland. I'd like to say if I had $600 to blow on games I would definitely buy ones I could play. But then again, if I was in a position to spend $600 on a display piece, I suppose I wouldn't need to worry about buying the games.

I saw his ending auctions, I really wonder if he got that money or people were just messing with each other.

I would suspect he got paid. I've bought quite a few computer games from this seller in the past few months (although they were mostly pretty inexpensive relatively speaking) and people are bidding crazy amounts on items that are rare and not-so-rare. Almost all of the sales result in positive feedback to and from the seller, so I doubt many of these are fake bids.

Gotta love the folks that pay through the nose for a piece of plastic!!!! I could get a whole roll at the supermarket for $3.99 LOL!

Let 'em keep burning their money. Any sealed game I've ever gotten gets opened. Makes absolutely no sense (to me) to keep anything sealed.

Sealed game collectors are nuts!

Completely insane.

It's factory sealed and it wasn't the only SMS game to go for crazy amounts yesterday. It looks like two resellers/VGA types got into a bidding war on a bunch of Sega Master stuff from the same seller. That seller's NES stuff has been going for crazy amounts recently too.

I don't "get" collecting sealed games in general but even so, the sealed NES stuff I can understand, because Nintendo stuff is going for crazy prices these days and the seller had some pretty rare and/or desirable titles in perfect, sealed condition. But sealed Master System games are really not that hard to come by, and historically have not sold for very much of a premium because there's relatively low demand for SMS stuff in general. For instance, there was a sealed Montezuma's Revenge sitting on eBay for $50 that sat for months before it finally sold about a month ago (but only after the seller lowered the price). I know because I had it on my watch list and held off buying it myself (because anything I buy is getting opened anyway, and I know I can get a nice used copy for less). I've had sealed copies of several of those titles that sold for big money pass through my hands, some as recently as a few years ago. I don't remember getting more than $40-$50 for any of them. This whole sealed game craze has gotten to the point of being completely nonsensical.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like this record pricing streak is still continuing. Golvellius just sold for $511, Time Soldiers went for $255. R-Type went for $355 and Ys went for $610. These bids are apparently all legit as I recognized at least one of the bidders as the fairly well known Ebay reseller Rarebucky. I assume they will be graded and listed on Ebay again shortly. Very sad.

Looks like this record pricing streak is still continuing...Ys went for $610.

That's another one I've had sealed...two copies actually, as I recall. One of them I sold/traded, and the other one I opened and kept for my own collection, where it resides to this day.

These bids are apparently all legit as I recognized at least one of the bidders as the fairly well known Ebay reseller Rarebucky.

Say no more. :roll:

I assume they will be graded and listed on Ebay again shortly. Very sad.

:?

I still don't get this. Looking at recent eBay completed auctions, I don't really see any sealed SMS titles cracking the $100 mark, apart from this recent batch of titles sold by jk-second_hand_shop. rarebucky has had multiple sealed titles listed recently (including some of the same ones that were just purchased for big money) and none of them are really selling. Granted, the ones for sale aren't graded (and some of them have worn or torn shrinkwrap) but that shouldn't make too much of a difference.

Grading something doesn't suddenly make it worth four (or five) figures. This whole thing is crazy. It seems to me that certain resellers are just arbitrarily making up insanely high prices out of thin air based on what they alone feel certain games should sell for. There's really no legitimate precedent for some of these prices, but it seems like they're determined to (artificially) establish one. I guess asking $5,000 for something makes $500-$1,000 seem reasonable by comparison.

• Like 1

The market for graded items is a different market than we live in.

Well that's for sure Ian, but who "lives" for this market, exactly? Must be a pretty elite group, because I don't really see anyone (apart from these apparent resellers) throwing this kind of money at sealed SMS games. If these were mint, sealed NES black boxes or something highly collectible like that, this conversation wouldn't be taking place. But I just don't see how $500+ can be justified for any non-graded, sealed Master System title. Especially not when they can be had for much less without too much difficulty...

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1510130587721?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=151013058772&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

That is one of several sealed copies of MR that I've seen sold in the last year or so. What exactly is different about the one that just sold for $600? Perfect shrinkwrap? :?

There is only so much sealed stuff out there. And resealing is a risk. Finding legitimate sources for sealed stuff must be important for these guys.

I guess so, but I just can't see that there would be that big of a market for faking seals on SMS games. Historically, the stuff just doesn't have very much value in the first place. Like I said earlier, to me it just reeks of people trying to establish value in a case where there really isn't any to speak of.

Stone Age Gamer has a really good SMS Flashcart. They are in stock and sell for $120. You can even play most Sega SG-1000 games with it too!

If you buy the Everdrive MD you can play almost all the SMS games on the Genesis. I love Monte on the SMS, but if you want to play it using the Everdrive MD and the Genesis you need to do what is mentioned on this thread.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/200414-playing-sms-games-on-the-genesis-using-the-everdrive-md/

It's a conspiracy between resellers. Start bidding up each other's auctions to crazy levels to shift the perceived baseline value, then refund each others money after the fact. Sure, there's eBay tax and PayPal fees lost. But if they significantly boost the value of their inventory in the process, then it's a minor business expense in the grand scheme of things.

@pingvin There are folks who are the top feeders. They want authenticated sealed stuff. They have way more money than time and are comfortable with grading based on experience with other toy or comic collecting. It may be a limited audience, but there certainly is a limited number of folks grading at this point anyway. Perhaps some believe that in the future the grading will help their items remain unique and retain value. Perhaps some of these guys are seeing how out of control the NES market is and misjudging the SMS market to be similar. Or maybe they know what they are doing.

Sure, I think those prices are stupid high, but I'm sure the logic is related to this separate segment of collecting that most of us don't pay much attention to.

Things hit a new height of insanity today. Moonwalker for SMS went for $1525 sealed and Golden Axe Warrior for SMS went for $1025 sealed, both to Rarebucky the reseller. He was in a bidding war with the bidder who bought most of the other high priced SMS games over the past two weeks, bape2013. Bape2013 bought Spellcaster for $510, Dick Tracy for $410, Lord of the Sword for $510 and Miracle Warriors for $310 all SMS sealed and from the same seller today. This same Bape2013 bought the Earthbound the other day for $3550 which was shrinkwrapped. The game was never sold shrinkwrapped, so not only is this bidder overpaying, but they don't even know what's legit and what isn't.

• Like 1