IGNORED

WTF? SMS Montezuma's Revenge sold for $600+

Psionic

Things hit a new height of insanity today. Moonwalker for SMS went for $1525 sealed and Golden Axe Warrior for SMS went for $1025 sealed, both to Rarebucky the reseller. He was in a bidding war with the bidder who bought most of the other high priced SMS games over the past two weeks, bape2013. Bape2013 bought Spellcaster for $510, Dick Tracy for $410, Lord of the Sword for $510 and Miracle Warriors for $310 all SMS sealed and from the same seller today. This same Bape2013 bought the Earthbound the other day for $3550 which was shrinkwrapped. The game was never sold shrinkwrapped, so not only is this bidder overpaying, but they don't even know what's legit and what isn't.

A fool and their money as they say. A lot of it going around, even here on the boards.

This same Bape2013 bought the Earthbound the other day for $3550 which was shrinkwrapped. The game was never sold shrinkwrapped, so not only is this bidder overpaying, but they don't even know what's legit and what isn't.

True but this is quite possible. Taken from that auction.

*****The game is plastic sealed. This is how it was purchased by owner in the 90s. This game was not sealed in plastic by the manufacturor but later by retailer."

True but this is quite possible. Taken from that auction.

*****The game is plastic sealed. This is how it was purchased by owner in the 90s. This game was not sealed in plastic by the manufacturor but later by retailer."

Sure, it's possible that the retailer sealed a new copy of the game in wrap, but I fail to see how that makes this a $3500 copy of Earthbound. Retailers re-seal stuff all the time, but I have never seen that impact the price of a new game so significantly. Even the guys who regularly overpay for stuff on the sealed games forums were laughing about this one.

Well if it really is unopened which in my opinion no shrink no seal no go lol. Complete EB sells for like $500 now so really 7x complete isn't really that outrageous for sealed based off what sealed games sell for now.

I personally view vga as a joke and a scam myself which is what this game will get. They will use their voodoo and deem this game factor unopened and slap a nice sticker on it and weld it shut inside a plastic box covered in plastic wrap so nobody else in the world can question their assessment w/out possibly causing damage to said sealed game.

They will use their voodoo and deem this game factor unopened and slap a nice sticker on it and weld it shut inside a plastic box covered in plastic wrap so nobody else in the world can question their assessment w/out possibly causing damage to said sealed game.

Yeah, I suspect only these people will question VGA values:

1. Collectors who know better
  2. Anyone capable of searching eBay for better prices
  3. Anyone capable of searching the web to determine realistic values
  4. People not involved in classic video gaming who have other interests or obligations

Well if it really is unopened which in my opinion no shrink no seal no go lol. Complete EB sells for like $500 now so really 7x complete isn't really that outrageous for sealed based off what sealed games sell for now.

I personally view vga as a joke and a scam myself which is what this game will get. They will use their voodoo and deem this game factor unopened and slap a nice sticker on it and weld it shut inside a plastic box covered in plastic wrap so nobody else in the world can question their assessment w/out possibly causing damage to said sealed game.

Except that having third party shrink wrap on the game doesn't make it "sealed". The game was never sealed, it was sold new without any kind of exterior box seal, so there is no difference between one that has never been opened (many of which have been sold on Ebay for far less than this even in recent months) and this one. If anything, I think this is less valuable because it has been tampered with.

I agree with you about the VGA stuff though.

Except that having third party shrink wrap on the game doesn't make it "sealed". The game was never sealed, it was sold new without any kind of exterior box seal, so there is no difference between one that has never been opened (many of which have been sold on Ebay for far less than this even in recent months) and this one. If anything, I think this is less valuable because it has been tampered with.

I agree with you about the VGA stuff though.

It was never "factory" shrinkwrapped. I think there is a big difference between one that has never been opened and ones that have. Whats inside should be superb condition. Granted not $3500 superb LOL. I know this game was never shrinkwrapped and I personally wouldn't pay a sealed price for. I see where you are coming from and agree this isn't worth more than a super minty complete copy.

On the other side the collector in me sees the sealed collector side as well which is unopened which should be what this item is, plus the fact it has been preserved in plastic means it was minimally touched. It's like taking a sealed nes game and ripping the swrink wrap off it, it no longer is sealed but it is still unopened which is a step above complete.

On eBay, it's "Two fools and their money are soon parted".

I think the only seal that anyone cares about is that which happens at the factory where the cart is made. 'Unopened' is meaningless without a factory seal in place.

I understand, you guys don't care about seal. That's awesome. But many people do. Some are stupid about how much they spend, and aside from these two bozos fighting for sealed SMS, factory seal holds a premium for collectors.

I understand, you guys don't care about seal. That's awesome. But many people do.

Tons of people care about sealed games. I have many sealed games and systems and I have duplicates for playing. That isn't unusual here at Atari Age or even among the people posting in this thread.

What people don't care about is a third party "grading" their sealed games. There are so many things on so many levels wrong with that practice and concept.

However, since there are so many thinking this type of service is legit, I'm throwing my hat into the ring. That's right, bring me your possessions and I'll grade them for you. After payment I'll examine your stuff and tell you what it's worth. Hell, I'll put a sticker on it to make it official. Bring your wife along and I'll grade her as well, she can even have a sticker for free.

• Like 1