IGNORED

Sega & the Wii U

Mendon

Sega finally announced that they have cancelled the Wii U version of Aliens: Colonial Marines. To me, this is not a surprise at all considering all the complaints the game and GearBox have received.

But they also announced that they have several BIG projects in the works for Wii U that they will announce soon:

http://www.cubed3.com/news/18456/1/sega-promising-fantastic-developments-for-nintendo-wii-u.html

Speaking for myself, I am hoping, hoping, hoping that these projects might include a Valkyria Chronicles title and a Skies of Arcadia title. But with my luck, it will probably be another Sonic.

Bummer Aliens: CM turned out how it did. I thought it had a lot of promise and I would have most definitely picked it up had it been released on the Wii U. The Wii U is currently hurting for games in a bad way. I enjoyed several of the launch games but that was going on 5 months ago. I counted on Rayman and Aliens to get me through to the next big Nintendo first party games.

Edited by GKC

What else got cancelled?

If Sega has big ambitions for the Wii U, I'd love an ultimate HD version of Outrun 2 from Sumo Digital with every last bit of content and features from all the different versions from over the years. And since they've regularly emulated the SMS/GG and Genesis, toss in the Outrun games for those platforms along with arcade Turbo Outrun and Outrunners to join the original arcade Outrun that Outrun 2 on the Xbox had as an unlockable.

And I'd love to see what Sumo Digital would do if given the chance to make a set of 15 new courses on their own (As long as they didn't do nonsense like a Sonic stage; I would want them to stay faithful to the traditions of the series). But I'd settle just for getting a perfect version of the Outrun 2 family on the Wii U (and on retail disc).

Instead, if you want all the animations for the original Outrun 2 courses you have to import a Japanese PS2 game. If you want to play the SCUD Race and Daytona USA bonus tracks you need Outrun 2 on the Xbox. And so on and so on where one version did something better than the next but had a slight issue of its own or didn't have some content that another version had. And in the case of Outrun Online Arcade with the several benefits it had to offer, you can't even buy it now since it was a digital release and is now delisted.

Edited by Atariboy

The Wii U is not being well received - at all, and sales are quite slow up until now. Of course this is a catch 22 situation. The Wii U is selling poorly as it has little decent software to make it an attractive purchase (and the default controller sux), and whilst it continues to sell slowly it will not have a user base large enough to publishers to find it an attractive platform to develop on.

Hopefully it will die soon and the units we have will become collectors items. :) I looked at that Aliens Colonial Marines game and it looked very generic and boring, is it really much of a loss?

What else got cancelled?

Several big name titles that are to be released this year (Grand Theft Auto, Dead Island Riptide, Battlefield 4, etc) have been noted as not having a Wii U release planned but I believe that Aliens was the only Wii U title that was actually cancelled. Rayman was delayed but not cancelled.

Edited by Mendon

• 2 weeks later...