IGNORED

Options for data transfer between Mac/PC and Atari

Hi all,

I have a question about transferring data from my Mac to an Atari MegaSTE. I recently got one of Lotharek's new UltraSatan devices, and will be installing it into my MegaSTE in the future (everything is in boxes now, as we'll be moving homes soon).

Seeing as I want to mount the UltraSatan internally in the MSTE, I won't have easy access to the SD cards for transferring data using DOS/TOS partitions. Originally, I was hoping that a Netusbee device could allow USB thumb drives to connect to the MSTE, but it looks like this is only possible if you install MINT and get the appropriate drivers. I don't really want to have to mess around with alternate OSes on my Atari, and would prefer to stay in the TOS world if possible.

Having said that, what would be the best solutions for transferring files from my Mac to the Atari? I don't mind if the transfer/connection isn't very fast; what I'm really looking for is something that is relatively simple to set up and manage in TOS. Bear in mind that while I have a reasonable amount of knowledge about home networking and connecting devices together, I'm far from being a "guru"...

OPTION 1: Get a Netusbee and put the MSTE on the home network? How does this work? Can you share a public folder on the Mac which the Atari could see (or something like that)? Can everything still be done within the TOS world?

OPTION 2: Get a Lantronix adapter of some sort:

http://www.lantronix...rs/xdirect.html

or

http://www.lantronix...rs/uds1100.html

How would this work? On the Atari side, I guess you would use the regular modem terminal to connect, but on the Mac side, how would it show up/connect with the ethernet? Could you communicate/transfer through a web browser like Firefox or Safari to the Lantronix device?

OPTION 3: Set up a null modem system? Again, a bit tricky since the Mac doesn't have any modem connectivity with it (although I could probably buy a USB modem for it).

Sorry about the long post.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and comments!

Hmm, I know a lot of people don't like hacking on their cases, but if it was me, and I was putting

a US in a Mega STe, I'd probably mount it in the hard drive bay, with the slot facing to the front,

and a small "adjustment" made in the drive bacy cover to accomodate the US's slots. That would

give you easy access to the cards for removal.

That's just me though. :)

Yeah, I thought about exposing the SD card slots through the MegaSTE casing, but I'm not sure I really want to cut up the casing like that (especially in such a visible spot... if it was cut open in the back, I might be more willing).

I would rather find another solution if possible.

Thanks!

Yeah, I thought about exposing the SD card slots through the MegaSTE casing, but I'm not sure I really want to cut up the casing like that (especially in such a visible spot... if it was cut open in the back, I might be more willing).

I would rather find another solution if possible.

Option 1: Buy an internal Suska Gigafile and just hook up the Ultrasatan for file transfers.

Option 2: Install Ultrasatan internally in HD bay. Keep one slot occupied with your boot/main SD card slot and not exposed to the outside world. Plug in an SD extension cable into the second slot and mount the card slot extension end somewhere obscure, yet reachable. Or guide the cable through one of the ports or case seams to reach the outside world. It looks like Amazon sells one called the Navigation SD Card Cable for $17. I have never tried the SD extension cables, so proceed at your own risk.

If you wanted to install the Ultrasatan internally you could always leave the hard drive section (which flips up without opening the main case) unscrewed, then any time you wanted to copy anything on you could pop the lid and swap the SD cards in. You'd just have to remember not to pick the Mega up and turn it upside down ;)

If you wanted to install the Ultrasatan internally you could always leave the hard drive section (which flips up without opening the main case) unscrewed, then any time you wanted to copy anything on you could pop the lid and swap the SD cards in. You'd just have to remember not to pick the Mega up and turn it upside down ;)

This what I would do. :)

And yes dont forget it is loose if you even have to turn it over. Almost lost a hard disk that way.. :-o

Hmm.. That sounds like the simplest solution. Will probably go for that. I didn't realize you could separate the hard drive section... I thought it was all part of the case top.

Thanks everyone!

Disconnect your cables for safety's sake, then flip the unit over from the front,

and you'll find a fairly wide recessed screw directly underneath the hard drive

bay. It's designed not to fall out, so just unscrew it, and the top of the hard

drive bay will simply lift off. You will have the cables to the hard drive itself

to watch for (if you have a HD installed). One of Atari's better case designs,

IMHO. It also gives you access to the RAM and dip switches.

Disconnect your cables for safety's sake, then flip the unit over from the front,

and you'll find a fairly wide recessed screw directly underneath the hard drive

bay. It's designed not to fall out, so just unscrew it, and the top of the hard

drive bay will simply lift off. You will have the cables to the hard drive itself

to watch for (if you have a HD installed). One of Atari's better case designs,

IMHO. It also gives you access to the RAM and dip switches.

Thanks for the info DarkLord. One other question I have is how would you mount the UltraSatan internally? I imagine I would be able to use whatever existing HD bracket there is for the current hard drive, but is that attached to the casing? In other words, would the hard drive or UltraSatan swing up with the lid when you open it, or is there a way to mount the UltraSatan to the motherboard?

(Sorry about the dumb question... I could probably find this all out for myself, but as I mentioned previously my MegaSTE is packed away in storage for the next few months... :( )

Thanks!

Yes, the original hard drive cage is in that top section that comes off. I've not

done it, but you should be able to adapt the US to fit there. I did fit one of the

original US's to the internal hard drive cage on my STacy. Drilled a couple of

holes in the side of the US case and just bolted it right up. :)

... that is, if your Mega has a hard drive bracket. If it was originally ordered without a HDD, the bracket wasn't included.

That shouldn't be a problem for me... my MegaSTE came with a "whopping huge" 40 MB hard drive built in! :)

It's one of the reasons I'm not too concerned about small partitions for transfer between Mac/PC and the Atari using the UltraSatan flash cards. Even a small 32 MB partition on an SD card is more than half the capacity of my original MSTE hard drive.

Pretty amazing, really, when you see how much funtionality was incorporated into apps like Calamus or Cubase, when there was so little memory and hard drive space available.