IGNORED

Where can you buy Rainbow TOS besides B&C

Cheapest option is usually EBAY. I did mine myself with EPROM programmer. It's worth checking the motherboard to see if you have 6 sockets in total. I've heard that some times the 2 ROMS are in sockets but the other 4 chip spaces aren't always socketed.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fitm%2FATARI-ST-STE-STFM-STF-MEGA-TOS-ROMS-1-02-1-04-1-60-1-62-2-06-COMPUTER-UPGRADE-%2F140929396259%3Fpt%3DUK_VintageComputing_RL%26hash%3Ditem20d00bee23%23ht_2724wt_1399

27C256 - There are probably tonnes of them still knocking around but I struggled to find a seller on EBAY last time. If you look now there are a few sellers but no one with 6 of them.

EDIT:

Found a good seller i've used before:-

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1409330644591?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=140933064459&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I could order you 6 of those, program and test them and ship them out to you.

£1 each + £1.30 postage to me, would be £7.30 ish. Postage to the US i've got no idea, I would send it the cheapest possible, uninsured insigned for - so there's a risk there if it goes missing... Or I could sign it signed for / tracked, let me know what you want to do. Bare in mind it's going to take 3 or 4 days for me to get them, program them and post them out, and mail could take a week or two.

If postage to the US was £5.00 - hopefully not, that makes it £12.30 ish, which is about $20 or something isn't it? Might be just as well ordering from B&C for the extra $15?

I'm in the same boat. Want to upgrade my STF from 1.0-1.4, and my STE from 1.06-2.06.

I'm thinking about picking up a chip programmer, doing it myself, and offering the service to others. Eventually it would pay for the programmer...

That's a good idea, and you can use EPROM programmer to dump old cart games from other systems, or program cart games etc.

I got the Genius G540 which is very cheap but limited. I've had some problems with certain AMD chips in the past, but others of the same model made in different country work OK?!?! Never a problem with ST or Intel chips though. And mine won't support the larger chips used in the Amiga 500 etc. At some point I will need to get a proper one.

Just be aware that a cheap chinese one will likely do the job (with some pain), whereas the well known branded ones at 3 or 4 times the cost are much better supported and cater for many more chip types.

Mines fine for Lynx and ST ROMS, but thats pretty much it. The RAM and logic test features on mine dont even work because the software just doesnt do what its advertised to do.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I actually bought some eproms on Digikey for $1.65 each ( 17 to be exact as that was there remaining stock ).

Lucky for me I actually found out that the guy who owns my retro game store in town use to be the local president/dealer for my area's Atari User Group back in the 80's and he has all the equipment to program the chips for me. Though his equipment is the actual programer he used in the 80's to program TOS chips back in the 80's early 90's.

one other bit of good news is he thinks he still has a copy of the instructions to upgrade a 520st to 1meg. I know someone was looking for this information a couple months ago.

On the 520STF, you piggy back existing RAM bending one or two pins up for the higher address line - this thread covers some of it:-

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2904

Its just a question of running one or 2 wires for upper address line to MMU I think.

Usually 41256 DRAM chips, 150nS or quicker, and you can use 51256 or 81256 by different manufacturers. Personally I would investigate if your revision can take marpet upgrade and consider upgrading to 4Mb (Switcheable) that way, or if you are really daring have a search on using a 72 pin 4Mb SIMM to upgrade but that is one messy mod involving a lot of wires...

Edit: See this thread to help work out which pin to bend up and connect to MMU - looks like RAS.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/194404-1mb-upgrade-for-original-520st/

And this seems to be a step by step:-

http://www.open4success.org/db/bin18/018784.html

Edited by GadgetUK

I called B & C (he was mega busy too) and ordered TOS 2.06 for $35 usd and some Badges. My order was here in 2 Days and well packaged.

Best wanted $75.00 usd for 2.06. lol

Just wanted to leave some feedback on the great experience I had with B & C. Will be ordering a few things from Best still though.