IGNORED

Using Sega Controllers with ColecoVision

boxpressed

Who would want to use a 7800 joystick anyway? I can definitely understand using the pad or a custom built joystick, though.

I hear you. I have a couple of Golden Ax's modded NES pads for the 7800 that I'd like to use with the CV.

If the Champ adapter worked with Sears Super Video Arcade and Intellivision IIs, they'd sell for $200 apiece.

UPDATE: The Champ adapter did not work with my Sears and a CX-40. :( It could have been chocolate and peanut butter.

Edited by boxpressed

I hear you. I have a couple of Golden Ax's modded NES pads for the 7800 that I'd like to use with the CV.

If the Champ adapter worked with Sears Super Video Arcade and Intellivision IIs, they'd sell for $200 apiece.

UPDATE: The Champ adapter did not work with my Sears and a CX-40. :( It could have been chocolate and peanut butter.

If the controller is wired for 7800 use, then just plug it in the Coleco. If you want keypad as well then I might be able to adapt my NeoGeo to CV adapter to do this. This adapter offers keypad support and 4 button support.

here is link to that thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/210520-controller-project/

Why would new Intellivision controller be so expensive?

Edited by grips03

If the controller is wired for 7800 use, then just plug it in the Coleco. If you want keypad as well then I might be able to adapt my NeoGeo to CV adapter to do this. This adapter offers keypad support and 4 button support.

here is link to that thread:

http://atariage.com/...roller-project/

Why would new Intellivision controller be so expensive?

I want the two-button functionality with the modded NES pad to play two-button CV games (e.g. Cosmic Avenger).

What I mean about the price of the Intellivision controller is that Intellivision owners would love to find a way to use Atari joysticks with Intellivision games. They would pay a lot for a device that would let them do so.

I want the two-button functionality with the modded NES pad to play two-button CV games (e.g. Cosmic Avenger).

I would think the 7800 modded NES controller would support two buttons when plugged directly in to the Colecovision.

I'll investigate Intellivision next month, but perhaps there are already people doing this?

I would think the 7800 modded NES controller would support two buttons when plugged directly in to the Colecovision.

I'll investigate Intellivision next month, but perhaps there are already people doing this?

No, I tried it. IIRC, you can't even select the level from the second controller when the pad is plugged into the first controller port.

I follow the Intellivision threads pretty closely, and no one seems to be working on this. You would have a very popular product on your hands, grips03, if you could make one.

No, I tried it. IIRC, you can't even select the level from the second controller when the pad is plugged into the first controller port.

I follow the Intellivision threads pretty closely, and no one seems to be working on this. You would have a very popular product on your hands, grips03, if you could make one.

some games don't allow level select from 2nd controller :(

What base (aka starting controller to hack) controller would Intellivision people like. We need to pick something that has room for keypad as I think many of the games use that.

A 100% new controller is possible (assuming I can make a PCB for it), but all new costs more than using sac controller

edit: ok I see couple of issues: 1-Intellivision games have keypad overlay, so source for keypad that would allow same overlays to be used could be an issue

Edited by grips03

Just an update to clarify and report my findings.

I was wrong that 7800 controllers do not offer full functionality on the ColecoVision (minus the keypad, of course). I have a Proline and a modded NES pad, and they both work on the ColecoVision when plugged directly into port one. I used the stock CV controller on port two to select game levels.

The problem was this rotten Champ adapter. Now I'm sure that I have the "defective" one-button model, because when I plug 7800 controllers into it, only the left fire button works in two-button games like Cosmic Avenger.

As for Sega controllers, when I plug my Arcade Power Stick directly into the port and fire up Cosmic Avenger, the "B" button drops a bomb and shoots a missile simultaneously. When it is plugged into the Champ, "B" only drops a bomb.

Edited by boxpressed

• 1 year later...

Okay, if you were going to make an adapter for the Intellivision that would work with an Atari 2600 joystick, you would need to make it a splitter (goes into one port and splits for 2 accessories).

On one end, you would hook up your joystick and this would function in place of the thumb control and primary firing button. On the split, you would allow the original keypad to hook up.

This way, you could easily switch between pad and joystick mid-game by having both the pad and joystick mapped properly to the different ends of the splitter.

Edited by keithbk